SO PISSED

Options

Replies

• cathy1678
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and from my POV you need to be tracking sodium. For one thing all that weight watchers stuff has crazy amounts of sodium. Also, you are not eating enough "real food" ie: fruits veggies etc. Your protein seems to be great. I would also not suggest eating 1200 calories. I assume you have your weight set to 2lb a week loss, and you don't have a lot of weight to lose, possible try 0.5-1lb a week. Also unless you're using an HRM remember that MFP calorie burns are high. Good luck on your journey

i changed it to 1lb a week
  • cathy1678
    Options
    I know how you feel. I gained like a pound the other week and thought I was gonna kick someones butt, lol. I was really upset because like you I had been working out and eating well and thought what gives? But I looked back on my diary and I had some days where I was eating way too much sodium. As you know, too much sodium retains water and therefore your scale will say your heavier than you actually are. So this week, I aimed to really watch my sodium intake and drink lots of water. So far so good.

It also could be that you are gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat which is a good thing. Everyone likes to see what the scale says but ultimately go by how your clothes fit, how you feel. At the end of the day, would you want to be a person who weighs 150lbs of muscle and is toned with energy? Or someone who is 130lbs and doesn't have as much muscle and feels sluggish all the time?
    thanx ur right
  • cathy1678
    Options
    As people pointed out, DEFINITELY monitor your sodium and sugar. I have to disagree with the people who have said, "Your diary looks great!" If you're "SO PISSED" at your struggles, CUT OUT THE FAKE CRAP. Ditch the processed food and watch your carbs! I can't even imagine eating over 200 carbs a day and expecting to cut a lot of weight, that's how conditioned I've become to it.

Your calories shouldn't be the only thing you're looking at.

Edit: Also, after looking at your exercise diary (and I may get **** for this, since it's controversial), I think you're overestimating the calories you're burning. Unless cleaning is part of your dayjob (which I doubt, since you have "light cleaning" as part of it), aim for an actual workout. Either time spent doing actual weight training (even if it's with your own weight) or 20-30 minutes real cardio (dancing's fine; cleaning, eh...). Actually work out, instead of doing normal tasks and expecting to earn that extra Special K (processed) bar. Your body's not transforming if it's just doing what it always does, especially by over-inflated MFP numbers.

those workouts of cleaning and that zumba at home was a day i didnt go to the gym,but i go to the gym atleast 4x a week..but i do light cleaning everyday atleast 35 min just on light cleaning..that consist or bending down strightening up cleaning bathrooms,sweeping and mopping
  • tcaesar69
    tcaesar69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally undestand! I changed over from doing points plus on WW and so far I've gained a pound and a half! It is discouraging but I just keep telling myself that the alternative is to go back to the old eating habits and I'll conmtinue to gain WAY more weight. Keep in mind you must account for water, muscle weight, and hormonal changes for woman!!! The body does not want to give up what it has become accustomed to (fat stores) so stick with it and eventually your body will succumb to giving up its fat storse!!!

Stay strong!
  • FitAddictAmanda
    Options
    yea i think i am bloated also since its almost time for the monthly...but im just pissed 2lb is alot, meanwhile my husband lost 3 and pisses me off even more..and i cook and he eats what i make and he dont even count calories..lol UGH MEN SUCK...lol..but im headed to the gym and will keep doing it.
    Men lose weight quicker because they have more muscle mass which burns more calories. If you are lifting then it could be that you are replacing muscle with fat. Have you taken you measurements? If not then take your measurements, that is usually a better indicator of losing fat when you first start trying to lose. A pound of muscle and fat weigh the same, but muscle takes of less space. Are your clothes feeling looser??? if so then you are losing fat. Don't give up.

Totally agree with this! Stick with it. Make sure you're getting enough calories and protein to support your new muscles and you will be fine! Hang in there. :)
  • cathy1678
    Options
    As people pointed out, DEFINITELY monitor your sodium and sugar. I have to disagree with the people who have said, "Your diary looks great!" If you're "SO PISSED" at your struggles, CUT OUT THE FAKE CRAP. Ditch the processed food and watch your carbs! I can't even imagine eating over 200 carbs a day and expecting to cut a lot of weight, that's how conditioned I've become to it.

Your calories shouldn't be the only thing you're looking at.

Edit: Also, after looking at your exercise diary (and I may get **** for this, since it's controversial), I think you're overestimating the calories you're burning. Unless cleaning is part of your dayjob (which I doubt, since you have "light cleaning" as part of it), aim for an actual workout. Either time spent doing actual weight training (even if it's with your own weight) or 20-30 minutes real cardio (dancing's fine; cleaning, eh...). Actually work out, instead of doing normal tasks and expecting to earn that extra Special K (processed) bar. Your body's not transforming if it's just doing what it always does, especially by over-inflated MFP numbers.

those workouts of cleaning and that zumba at home was a day i didnt go to the gym,but i go to the gym atleast 4x a week..but i do light cleaning everyday atleast 35 min just on light cleaning..that consist or bending down strightening up cleaning bathrooms,sweeping and mopping

and the calories i enter for the time im on the treadmill is WAY more then..like today i did 50min on the tredmill at a 3.4-3.7 intensity treadmill said i burned 285..when i entered it on MFP for 50min it gave me 600 something calories..way off..i enter the calories from what the treadmill tells me and i enter my weight on the treadmill
  • cathy1678
    Options
    I totally undestand! I changed over from doing points plus on WW and so far I've gained a pound and a half! It is discouraging but I just keep telling myself that the alternative is to go back to the old eating habits and I'll conmtinue to gain WAY more weight. Keep in mind you must account for water, muscle weight, and hormonal changes for woman!!! The body does not want to give up what it has become accustomed to (fat stores) so stick with it and eventually your body will succumb to giving up its fat storse!!!

Stay strong!
    yes i stopped weight watchers and doing it on my own,now im thinking maybe i made a mistake..im gonna see in a few weeks when im not bloated anymore
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, and she is probably not developing muscle because she is in a calorie deficit...the muscle she does have may be retaining water and that could explain why she hasnt dropped weight.

You are also NOT changing fat into muscle.

i do think if you watch your sodium over the next few days you will be happy with the results. And make sure you eat enough!

Well... yes and no. A cubic inch of muscle absolutely weights more than a cubic inch of fat. This is why some people will stay the same weight but change shape.

Also, it IS possible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit, but you have to eat LOTS of protein as a percentage of intake, and it certainly isn't going to be a whole lot of muscle.

I just dont like it when people say that to explain a weight gain over a short time period since it takes a lot of time for women especially to increase muscle mass.
  • cathy1678
    Options
    yea i think i am bloated also since its almost time for the monthly...but im just pissed 2lb is alot, meanwhile my husband lost 3 and pisses me off even more..and i cook and he eats what i make and he dont even count calories..lol UGH MEN SUCK...lol..but im headed to the gym and will keep doing it.

NEVER compare you weight loss to your husband's! My hubby would take a walk around the block and lose 5 pounds. Sometimes that makes me want to hurt him. Badly. Keep counting your calories and working out and good things will happen. Don't forget, the scale isn't the only measure of weight loss. Are your clothes fitting differently? What kinds of exercise are you doing at the gym? If you're doing a lot of strength training, you could be adding muscle mass (which doesn't show as a weight loss on the scale). Remember to eat enough calories, too. A super low-cal diet could slow down your weight loss.
    Keep at it:-)
    i know men r different,i do weights at the gym and cardio,i try not to lift to heavy,and yes my clothes do fir looser,idk i guess im just wanting to see the numbers on the scale go down..like i said i am bloated right now and it cal also be it...stupid period...lol
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    could be water retention, or if you are working out hard, you could be gaining muscle, focus on inches not pounds and stick with it :D

^^ This

How are your measurements, body fat % readings (not done by a scale), and your clothes fitting? I find those to be much more reliable that numbers on a scale

Good advise,,, obviously not a woman but there are days where I feel like I should be losing and I gain... I track inches as well. If the inches around the mid section are getting lower I am happy. BF % also good to track but depending how you do it if the is n increase in weight it could impact it.
    How your clothes is a good measuring stick as well..

Stick with it, you will have the ups and downs but anything worth having is worth working for, keep at it.
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    you might be building muscle especially if you are spending alot of time at teh gym, or its just water weight.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    could be water retention, or if you are working out hard, you could be gaining muscle, focus on inches not pounds and stick with it :D

chances of it being muscle is pretty slim; it takes more than a month and a LOT of training. Water retention is a huge possibility though.

Also do not think you are going to have biggest loser style weight losses.. its not going to happen, you have been at this a month... thats really no time at all; think about how long it took you to get to where you are - surely it was longer than a month. It is easy to put it on, and hard to take off. Keep doing what you are doing and for god sake stop comparing your losses to your husband - men always lose weight faster than women.
  • brjustice2000
    Options
    Understand the frustration! Some weeks I have enough calorie deficit that I should lose 3 lbs but gain weight. This is more complicated than just counting calories. We have to watch sugars, fats, and carbs because too much of any of those can sabotage our efforts that week.

Too much salt will make you hold onto to water.

Lifting weight will build muscle as long as it is a weight that isn't easy to lift. If you can lift a weight more than 10 to 12 times and not need rest, you aren't building muscle. You have to force a muscle to work hard to build more muscle. For one person a bench press of 20 lbs may be hard and for another person it might be 100 lbs that is hard. We are all different and at different levels of fitness.

My wife and I now only eat out once a week on average instead of 7+ times a week. That has dramatically lowered salt intake as well as fat.

Don't know what you drink, but if it is soda or diet soda, both sabotage your efforts. Regular soda is full of sugar and most diet sodas have aspartame which makes you retain belly fat. I remember the headaches getting off the diet soda. Diet soda is now a treat just as ice cream is a treat! Pizza is a very rare treat because of the fat content.

Recommend you stretch, do some warm up cardio (walking 5 minutes works), lift weights try for 30 minutes, then do your workout cardio. I've got sunburned this week in the pool and didn't feel like doing any exercise for the last two days. I started back light for me - 17 minutes stretching, 18 minutes walking, 30 minutes of lifting weights that made me drip sweat, and 60 minutes on the treadmill for a little under 1,200 calories burned. My normal is 1,800 calories burned. Even with 3 hrs+ of physical activity and a big calorie deficit, I don't lose weight based on the calorie count, but most weeks I do lose. The best week was 6 lbs and the worst was a gain of 2.2 lbs. I should have lost weight every week based on the calorie count, but it just doesn't work that way.

Even though one person said muscle doesn't weight more than fat, technically that is correct. One pound of muscle and one pound of fat weight the same. But, one pound of muscle takes up much less volume than a pound of fat. Don't focus just on weight. Consider using your measurements and body fat percentage as your true success. My doctor told me focus on the body fat percentage not the pounds. My goal is 20% body fat. I started at over 39% and now at 29% after a year. The waist is down over 9 inches and the neck is down about 2 inches. The weight is only down 31 pounds.

Lots of people fall into the trap of wanting all the loss to show around the waist. I have had weeks where I lost nothing around the waist but still reduced the body fat %. I use a body fat monitor similar to the one the gym uses.

Hang in there. Never give up! You will make progress!
  • Fitfanatic
    Fitfanatic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat your daily calories. If you go below the suggested calories and you are exercising your body is going to use the glycogen in the muscle since there's no glucose to use and not fat for energy. If you work out and you don't have any "energy" (since you're not eating enough food) you are litterally eating muscle for fuel. I see so many people that are overweight and they all tell me the same thing, I hardly eat! (I am a personal trainer and Weight Watchers leader/lifetime member) Try eating breakfast within 1 hour of waking and eat 5-6 times a day. Try eating a high complex carb and lean protein with each meal. High complex carbs include whole grains and fruits and veggies. Lean proteins are chicken breast, lean steak, pork with no fat, eggs/whites, cottage cheese Low fat, and protein powder. Good luck!:smile:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Here's what's helped me. Google "Total Daily Energy Expenditure calculator", use it to figure out how much you are burning on average per day, including exercises. Next, Google BMR calculator, which tells you how much your body burns just by sitting still, running its basic functions. Aim your calorie intake between those two numbers. Do not eat under your BMR, as your body will not feel healthy, and will be fatigued. Do not eat more than your tdee (which will include your exercise calories, so don't eat those back.) As long as you are under tdee, you will be in a calorie deficit.

Next, as people have said, eat fewer foods from out of a box. Most are loaded with sugar, salt and fat to add flavour. Look for healthy options if you must have convenience foods. Look for food with higher fiber and protein content, low sodium and sugar, and healthy fats, not saturated or trans fats.
    Take a look at your carbs, protein and fat allowances for each day. Mfp sets carbs really high, but you really need more protein and healthy fats in your diet than mfp gives. Change your goals to custom settings, and set carbs at around 40%, protein at 30% and fats for 30%. Try to hit those goals as closely as possible each day. And eat some of that protein after your workouts to give your muscles what it needs to repair. Protein powders almost taste good and give around 24g of protein per 130 calorie scoop (on average what I've seen), and you can add stuff to them to make them taste better. Or you can get 1% cottage cheese, 16g protein for half a cup and 100 calories.

Drink water, break sweat, get sleep. And take satisfaction in knowing that you have the tools and ability to make healthy changes, exercise self control and feel better than you ever have. And I know I'm going to see some before and after pics of you in the motivation section in a few months time. :-)
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that I've learned work for me/affect my numbers:

When I worked out 5x a week, I wouldn't lose anything and would sometimes gain. I switched to 3x a week and I'm losing consistantly every week 1-2lbs. Your muscles can retain water while they try to heal themselves and that can show as "weight gain" when it really isn't.

I don't count everyday things as "exercise". I have a 1.5 mile walk to work and then back again at night (my house to the train station, train station to work and back again). I don't count that because its an everyday thing and not burning anything more than my body is used to. I only count a dedicated exercise or walk outside of this normal everyday as exercise.

Drinking your water is so important! I never used to drink water and it took a few weeks but now I can drink the 64 ounces easily and often hit 90-100 ounces now. I really attribute this as a good part of my success so far.

Track your measurements! Measurements will often show a change when the scale doesn't. One week I had no weight loss, but I lost 3 inches on my waist and hips. 3 inches! Also pay attention to how your clothes fit and feel. I also noticed that week that my work pants which (to tell the truth) were tight when I started, were getting lose, especially in my hips & thighs. I had someone tell me they're looking baggy the other day! It isn't isn't always about what the scale tells you.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Dont let this get to you.
    Think about what 2lb looks like - 2 small bottles of water - and spread that all over your body. I ALWAYS weigh pounds more when I exercise hard for a few days. I expect the water weight to drop in a few weeks, just got to stick with it. And seriously, I could lose 2lb going to the bathroom :D:D:D
    I know it sucks when the numbers go the wrone way, but you must know you're doing everything right, so this CANNOT be fat gain, its normal fluid fluctuations. Stick stick STICK with it and that water will come off eventually, along with a ton of fat, hooray!
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    Gooooooooooooooooooood. Let the hate* flow through you~

* hate burns calories
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Folks, muscle does not "weight more" than fat. 1lb=1lb. Muscle takes up less room in the body than fat.

18429001_8072.jpg
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel!! I have so much weight to lose, more than 100 pounds. My husband was just a little overweight. I ate well, tracked everything, exercised, etc., during this one memorable week. My husband didn't do nearly as much. Not as much exercise and he ate more. On weigh in day, I'd gained 2-3 pounds. He not only lost 3 pounds, but he hit that magic number that says you are within a normal weight range instead of being over weight.

I feel terrible that I wasn't happy for him like I should have been. Instead, I just sat and cried...and cried. I was trying so hard. And I not only didn't have anything to show for it, I went in the opposite direction. It all seemed so pointless. If I'm going to gain weight, I might as well order a pizza!

I let that derail me for a while. It was such a kick in the gut.

I finally decided that I was not just making lifestyle changes to lose weight. My main goal was to be more healthy. I decided that even if I was not losing weight, I was becoming a much healthier fat. If I stick with that, the weightloss will come.