Need Recommendation for website

Options
Can someone please recommend a good website for calculating calories burned? I see people post that they burned X amount of calories doing every day chores. I'm not interested in entering daily chores like housework, but when I'm outside sweating mowing the lawn for 30-40 minutes, or loading boxes into a moving truck, I'd like to see how that calculates. Suggestions?

Replies

• RobynBourgeois
    Options
    The activities you mentioned should be in MFP if you add to the exercise tab. That is what I use.
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    For that kind of stuff, you really need to get a heart rate monitor. I've found the MFP really overestimates the calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'd go get a heart rate monitor w/ chest strap if you want a closer estimation. The online calculators are typically off +/- 30% depending on the person and actual activity. People tend to over estimate their activity level (intensity). If you use an online calculator I would recommend always estimating low. Also if you plan on eating the calories back perhapd stick to 50 - 60 % of the estimated burn.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    For that kind of stuff, you really need to get a heart rate monitor. I've found the MFP really overestimates the calories.

^^This^^
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

That depends on the person and intensity. MFP typically always under estimates calories burned in my case, by a large portion. Hence my previous statment that people typically over estimate their intensity level.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I compared this to when I walk and it was within a few digits. It said 214 and I get about 200 on my hrm, and taking my own pulse matches somewhere in between. I think every thing I have ever tried registered something different:laugh: But I do think ballpark works just fine since I am gaining muscle and losing weight;)

PS an hrm is best for chores around the home in or outside. With the hrm, you need to be sure to watch your "fat burn zone" because if you slow down(go down to low or even to your resting heart rate)then you need to turn it off or speed back up but you know that I'm sure:)
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The heart rate monitor is really a very good idea but if you can't afford one, http://www.primusweb.com/cgi-bin/fpc/actcalc.pl <that's the site I use. I've heard it's pretty accurate.
  • fitatfiftyfive
    Options
    I was wondering about that too, because the calories expensed on Livestrong.com was around 180 but MFP estimated 240 - that's a major difference. I tend to overestimate my portion sizes and underestimate my calories burned for this very reason. Will look into a heart rate monitor soon. Thanks !
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    by the way, I moved about 15 boxes plus several armloads of junk down a flight of stairs and never stopped moving except to bend and lift or bend and put down, :laugh: and burned 404 calories;):drinker: :drinker:

Glad you are here;) denise
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    This is smart, I've heard a lot of peeps do this:drinker: :drinker:
    I was wondering about that too, because the calories expensed on Livestrong.com was around 180 but MFP estimated 240 - that's a major difference. I tend to overestimate my portion sizes and underestimate my calories burned for this very reason. Will look into a heart rate monitor soon. Thanks !