Foods high in calories for kids?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kadinh
    Kadinh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    NO ONE is allergic to bananas!

My husband is. He's a nurse and has developed a latex allergy. There's a small amount of latex in bananas and they make his mouth break out in sores. He loves bananas so it sucks.

My nephew, with the abdominal miagranes, also has ADHD and when he's on meds for that in the school months he eats very little. I try to make things that he likes that aren't full of sugar and let him have as much as he wants. I babysit them. Most ADHD kids crave sugar the same way diabetics do. He loves peanut butter, string cheese (although he can't have much dairy daily), pork chops, etc.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Subject to allergies... nuts! A handful contains about 150calories. I would also consider Complan and other high energy nutritional supplements that the old and infirm take.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    as horrible as this may sound we used pastas and the like to give extra weight to my step siblings and step mom (naturally about the size of a stick lord i was jealous) chicken and broccoli casserole is also a good option if there isnt a dairy allergy (my version is mostly home made mac n chs with pan fried chicken and frozen broccoli)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just talking to my mom about how put weight on my father, who is on dialysis and quite ill.

We came up with making yoghurt from cream, serving mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter, adding cream cheese to eggs, and serving fried sausage.

Oh, and leaving plates of cookies and cheese, crackers, and salami sitting on the table next to the tv.

And then I told my mom NOT to eat any of it as she has a serious weight problem. Poor lady!
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to add but wish you the best of luck. I have a skinny kid that I have been trying to put weight on (his meds cause a lack of appetite) and it is tough. I have gastro issues myself and the one thing that has helped is eating 2-3 servings of yogurt each day. Without it I am a mess.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I would just look at what she likes to eat and see how you can make that higher calorie. My oldest daughter only likes to eat a certain volume of food so I try to give caloric dense food as snacks. She likes cheese and I used to give her peanut butter balls. I also used to put avocado in lots of her food. She would never drink a smoothie.

Please, before you judge someone for "bulking" up their kids wait until you have the details. My mom thought I was nuts because "it is better to be thin as a girl ". I wasn't trying to fatten her up, I was just trying to get her the nutrition she needed! we were being followed by a doctor and a dietitian so it wasn't like I was making it up!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Edit:
    bump
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would put her on an elimination diet excluding all the common food allergies (lactose, dairy protein, nuts, gluten, soy, oats, eggs). My kids have food allergies, but are young so it's easier. A 12 year old may take issue eliminating things especially if she's picky. I really sounds like a food allergy to me which can not always be detected in blood. I would do research.