Your best advice for going Vegan

Options

Replies

• Tenaciousleee
    Tenaciousleee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There's a group here for vegans and vegetarians. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

Make sure you're getting enough iron; that's the problem I had when I went vegetarian. You will have to work to get enough protein, so you might look into protein powders and learn to love lentils if you don't already. There are some good vegan websites out there, as well, like post punk kitchen, ohsheglows.com, vegan stoner, etc... Also, you really need to mean it. I think it's more of a lifestyle than a diet and there are plenty of vegan cupcakes, cookies and other treats out there that will make it difficult to be healthy if you overindulge.

Would I need to take an iron supplement or just google iron rich foods?
  • Tenaciousleee
    Options
    I am not vegan, but my daughter is. I make cheese sauce for her with cashews and nutritional yeast (sooooo good) and Daiya makes an excellent non-dairy cheese. Probably the only processed food she still can't kick is the Boca Spicy Chick'n patties, and I can't say I blame her. We use tofu, but only the sprouted kind. She cycles through almond, coconut and rice milk. She's good about her B12 drops, and nutritional yeast helps with that as well. I have a ton of vegan cookbooks. I would recommend anything by Isa Chandra Moskovich, and take a look at her website, www.theppk.com (or just google Post Punk Kitchen).

Thank you!
  • Tenaciousleee
    Options
    I'm not vegan anymore, but here are some tips that helped me a lot:

1. Buy some cookbooks. Isa Moskowitz has some amazing ones that helped me get started. My first vegan recipe was the pumpkin casserole from Veganomicon....sooo good. My favorites cookbooks of hers are Veganomicon, Appetite for Reduction (this one is EXCELLENT and low cal), and Vegan Brunch. Note though that most vegan cookbooks are not low cal! Also, don't be intimidated by the strange sounding ingredients in these cookbooks. You'll find them in the store in places that you never had to look before, but they are there and easy to find for the most part.

2. Stock you fridge and pantry. I suggest earth balance butter, veganaisse, raw cashews (for cheesy sauces), nutritional yeast, miso, nut butters, tofu, seitan, beans etc. These will become your new staples. Don't bother with store bought vegan cheeses - they are gross and heavily processed and unhealthy. Daiya tastes pretty good but really upset my stomach which is a complaint I've heard from a lot of people.

3. Always research a restaurant before you go there. One of the biggest challenges about being vegan is eating out. I've had many meals consisting of salad and fries.

4. Try to mostly stay away from processed high sodium protein sources if you can help it. These include tofurkey slices and sausages, boca, etc. They are good for a quick fix, but shouldn't be the usual. Think fast food and how it plays into your life now - the exception and not the rule.

5. Learn to love beans and tofu - a lot.

6. Don't go overboard with wanting to try everything that's vegan! This got me into trouble lol. Just b/c the cupcake is vegan doesn't mean it has any less sugar or fat!

Awesome, thank you. I really looooove beans/fruit/all kinds of veggies. Legumes are yummy, too. I just worry I will overindulge in them because they are "healthy" .

Yes, i plan on avoiding ALL processed foods, which is really damn difficult but I think it is best. My husband is being very supportive, and he is even considering making 50% of his diet meat and processed food free. There's some things he won't give up, and I don't blame him. I just feel like I am on the verge of a healthy lifestyle plan. I am really excited about it!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    There's a group here for vegans and vegetarians. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

Make sure you're getting enough iron; that's the problem I had when I went vegetarian. You will have to work to get enough protein, so you might look into protein powders and learn to love lentils if you don't already. There are some good vegan websites out there, as well, like post punk kitchen, ohsheglows.com, vegan stoner, etc... Also, you really need to mean it. I think it's more of a lifestyle than a diet and there are plenty of vegan cupcakes, cookies and other treats out there that will make it difficult to be healthy if you overindulge.

Would I need to take an iron supplement or just google iron rich foods?

Google first, try and eat as much iron-rich food as possible, but take a supplement if you need it.
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    That's great! As I said in another thread, the one thing I miss a lot about being vegan is that in two years both me and my husband NEVER got sick. That's a big deal, especially for my husband b/c he has terrible allergies and a deviated septum so he frequently gets sinus infections. Since we've been back on animal products, we have both gotten sick twice in 8 months!

Oh, and this is going to sound gross but the other thing I miss is being extremely "regular" if you know what I mean lol. I wasn't constipated once when I was vegan. However, the constant gas is something I could've done without!

Good luck to you :) I know many long term vegans who are very happy and healthy. I wish I could have stuck with it, but a higher carb diet doesn't work for me and my cholesterol levels :/
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot about this web-site...super helpful on how to be the healthiest vegan imaginable!

http://gokaleo.com/
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Legumes are yummy, too. I just worry I will overindulge in them because they are "healthy" .
    While it's possible to overindulge in anything the average legume has about 200 calories per cup and tons of fiber so it's much harder to overdo it.

Since you're going to largely avoid processed food -- the biggest calorie trap in any diet -- the only other thing you really need to be mindful of are avocados, nuts, seeds, etc.. I definitely think all of those things have a place in a healthy diet but they can certainly push your calorie count way up so they're something to watch depending on what your total daily caloric intake is supposed to be (if you're working out tons they're a great place to go for calories).

You also asked about iron, which will be easy if you love legumes. Quinoa is also high in iron (and other grains have iron to a lesser degree). You'll also find it in various amounts in certain vegetables.

As for B12, sublingual and spray B12 are thought to be the best as it's not absorbed as easily as some nutrients.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My best advice for going Vegan: Don't.
  • rumandreason
    rumandreason Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy. Your body stores B12 really well so you've got a while to get to grips with that side of things. Try and stay away from vegan junk food, make some vegan friends with open diaries and be nosey! (I don't mind if you want to look through mine). Enjoy the cooking side of things, experiment. Don't bother with vegan cheese, most of it's gross though some of the grated stuff is okay on pizza. You've made a good choice. Good luck!
  • Tenaciousleee
    Options
    My best advice for going Vegan: Don't.

Lol! I don't think I could not. I have a couple friends who think I'm crazy...but I have my mind made up and doing it. The only person who would convince me otherwise would be my doctor.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Lol! I don't think I could not. I have a couple friends who think I'm crazy...but I have my mind made up and doing it. The only person who would convince me otherwise would be my doctor.

What are your reasons for changing your diet?
  • Tenaciousleee
    Options
    It's pretty easy. Your body stores B12 really well so you've got a while to get to grips with that side of things. Try and stay away from vegan junk food, make some vegan friends with open diaries and be nosey! (I don't mind if you want to look through mine). Enjoy the cooking side of things, experiment. Don't bother with vegan cheese, most of it's gross though some of the grated stuff is okay on pizza. You've made a good choice. Good luck!

Thanks! i am going to try and not get bored in the kitchen. My goal is to find a few "staples" my family likes, particularly my husband . If i am making it for him because he likes it, it will definitely stick around and stay in meal rotation!

And my goal is not to force him into it, because I don't want to turn him off to it, Just want the family to be overall healthier and have a plant foundation. :)
  • Tenaciousleee
    Options

What are your reasons for changing your diet?

Ethical, weight related.... I want to feel good. A family member started the FOK diet so I thought I would give it a look see and tumbled into boundless information about corn-fed antibiotic ridden cows, overly processed everything and the notion that we could cure illness with food. And No, I have no "reports" to back it up, it is just something I HAVE to try. I had some pre-cancerous cells on my cervix removed last month and I feel it is imperative to do something "different". When I asked my doctor what I could do to keep this from happening he replied "take a multi-vitamin, eat right and exercise " Well, I already do that and have been doing that for quite some time. I just knew I needed a change. I'm super excited....it's day two and I feel good. I am trying to keep my expectations low and my dedication level high.

Watching "Food, Inc" didn't help seeing the conditions our food is in before treated with ammonia and other chemicals.

I don't know...just something I want to do.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Go vegan for ethical reasons but I don't believe it's the healthiest way to eat. lots of work to get it right.

pretty much this..
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    There are multiple resources out there for going vegan, but I am especially impressed by 'Vegan for Life' written by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. Page 88 of that book has a wonderful vegan food guide that provides a template for a balanced @1400 calorie diet. They also have excellent websites:

www.TheVeganRd.com
    www.VeganHealth.org

For great low-calorie cookbooks with nutritonal information for each recipe, take a look at these:

'Appetite for Reduction' by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
    'Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food' by Alicia Simpson

There are two ways to go about going vegan: jump in with both feet or take your time and transition bit by bit. The way you choose is up to you, and depends a lot on how your personality adjusts to change.

Ethically motivated vegans tend to go beyond diet in their lifestyle practices, but I see this more as a 'voting with your dollars' sort of thing. Another poster told you to throw out all your clothing which is animal-derived. I see no use in doing that. Why not honor the animals' sacrifice, and properly use the items completely? Not everyone will agree on this issue, but I say it's best to focus on your spending decisions now and in the future, rather than worrying about what you did yesterday.

Finally, the word 'vegan' implies a life view about the relationship between humans and animals. If you are motivated to eat plant-based for health, you might want to call what you are doing 'plant-based eating' and avoid the whole 'vegan' label. I personally don't care what reason people go plant-based because it helps the animals no matter what.

Congratulations on your decision. Friend me if you wish. My food diary is open to friends.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Eat as many fruit and vegetables as you want. Fill up on beans and potatoes. Cut out processed foods. Eat fruit for dessert. If you are going from the SAD diet, you will have cravings for the things you had been eating. You may not enjoy the natural tastes of many foods at first, but if you stick to it you will begin to enjoy it. Your tastes will change! Check out vegsource.com for more information.

Also, it's really hard to overeat on fruits and vegetables... you will get full before you've had "too many calories." Beans are great because they are full of soluble fiber and digest slowly blunting your desire to snack. Also, you will be giving your body so many nutrients.

I don't ever get sick anymore, I eat as much as I want, and I lost weight easily. :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I started by going vegetarian, which found to be very easy to do. I did as much research on veganism as possible online and at the library while trying a new vegan food or 2 every week to find what I liked. 4 months later I became vegan and already had a good handle on the best "cheese" and mock meats. I learned to cook with beans, lentils etc by borrowing cookbooks from the library, and ended up purchasing my faves.

my fave website is vegweb for meal ideas. I just use the search feature.

I've been vegan for almost a year now and could not imagine eating any other way. I also take a vegan multivitamin and vitamin B50.
  • Tenaciousleee
    Options
    There are multiple resources out there for going vegan, but I am especially impressed by 'Vegan for Life' written by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina. Page 88 of that book has a wonderful vegan food guide that provides a template for a balanced @1400 calorie diet. They also have excellent websites:

www.TheVeganRd.com
    www.VeganHealth.org

For great low-calorie cookbooks with nutritonal information for each recipe, take a look at these:

'Appetite for Reduction' by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
    'Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food' by Alicia Simpson

There are two ways to go about going vegan: jump in with both feet or take your time and transition bit by bit. The way you choose is up to you, and depends a lot on what your personality is like with respect to facing change.

Ethically motivated vegans tend to go beyond diet in their lifestyle practices, but I see this more as a 'voting with your dollars' sort of thing. Another poster told you to throw out all your clothing which is animal-derived. I see no use in doing that. Why not honor the animals' sacrifice, and properly use the items completely? Not everyone will agree on this issue, but I say it's best to focus on your spending decisions now and in the future, rather than worrying about what you did yesterday.

Finally, the word 'vegan' implies a life view about the relationship between humans and animals. If you are motivated to eat plant-based for health, you might want to call what you are doing 'plant-based eating' and avoid the whole 'vegan' label. I personally don't care what reason people go plant-based because it helps the animals no matter what.

Congratulations on your decision. Friend me if you wish. My food diary is open to friends.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I feel good about this. I can't explain it well to anyone. It just feels right for me. It appears this is the way we should have been eating all along. And if others don't agree that's ok ( my best friend has her snarky opinions)

I will take you up on that friend request.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM VEGAN CHEESE THAT MAY BE LABELED "RICE CHEESE"
    it's so disgusting!

did you know Oreos are Vegan? <--I'd stay away from those, too. Ignoring the health reasons- what is that "cream" filling made of?!

**I was a vegan for about 7 months. I had to stop because the fresh fruits and veggies were too expensive!