Just can't eat enough some days

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been riding my bike for longer distances the fitter I am getting(I did a 50 mile ride this morning) and although I pigged out with treats I am still over 2500 calories short of what I should be eating today, any advice on what I should do? I am type 2 diabetic without medication at the moment so I have to avoid some foods

thanks in advance

Greg

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would say just go over on non biking days. It all balances out.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods on biking days or bigger meals on biking days.
  • ScaleAndSteel
    Options
    About a spoonful of celantro humus is 70 calories.

A cup of quinoa is something like 200/250 calories.

A handful of peanuts are a couple hundred I believe.

A protein bar is like 300 to 500

A bottle of gatorade is like 200ish.

Just some thoughts.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    worth a look but things like Gatorade will send my sugar levels soaring, I just feel odd force feeding myself everyday but I really want to keep up with the cycling
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    What do you typically eat each day?
  • gregsonevans
    Options
    I normally try to avoid carb rich foods as they tend to make my sugar levels rise too much and make me feel ill,I try to eat extra lean beef and eggs as much as possible with plenty of salads as I am still trying to reduce my cholesterol levels too (Dr's orders)!
  • skinnynerd
    skinnynerd Posts: 110
    Options
    If you are full then Stop eating. There is no reason that you have to eat back every single exercise calorie you burned.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I don't know how good fats effect cholesterol levels, but things like avocados, nuts (nut butters) and seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, chia) that are high in good fats are nice and high in calories too, also olive oil and coconut oil. all these things can be added to salads and meals. At least it can help get closer to your goal. I also eat quite a bit of dairy to help reach my goals.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it's just a "some days" thing, not a "most days" thing, don't worry about it, but don't be so strict with your calories on the days before or after your long ride, either.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    About a spoonful of celantro humus is 70 calories.

A cup of quinoa is something like 200/250 calories.

A handful of peanuts are a couple hundred I believe.

A protein bar is like 300 to 500

A bottle of gatorade is like 200ish.

Just some thoughts.

This and more...just not the gatorade...never drink your calories. Sorry

1 tp olive oil is 170 calories.
    Almonda butter
    1 egg, 70-90 calories
    Avacados..
    find more clean calories dense foods.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You'll have that, it's normal. Just don't be afraid to go over a bit on other days, it will probably balance itself out. You may want to keep track of your weekly deficit instead of worrying about daily.
  • sc0ttie
    sc0ttie Posts: 29
    Options
    Seeds are great way to add calories to your day. I go to Martins and get roasted, non-salted, sunflower seeds from their bulk aisle. They are 210 calories for 1/4 cup, Calories will add up quickly with foods like this.
  • gregsonevans
    Options
    cheers guys,I think I will get some seeds to eat whilst out on my ride as it will help to fuel my ride too
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Organic peanut butter too :D 1 tbsp is 100 calories! I often have 2-3 if I'm having a low day as it's full of healthy fats and a bit of protein! And it's delish :P
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    sorry--it's not that you "can't eat enough" it's that you either 1) don't want to 2) want to but are afraid to or 3) want reassurance that it's okay for you to do so which is what this thread is all about.

1) you should want to because your performance will suffer and the hormonal/metabolic implications of undereating are simply not worth it

2) being afraid is normal but the fear goes away

3) it really is in your best interest to eat more.

Now for foods to help you get there:

LESS:
    1) diet foods
    2) low fat foods
    3) bulky foods w/ minimal nutrition (i.e. iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, celery)

MORE:
    1) real food (i.e. whole grain bread w/ 80+ calories per slice NOT sandwich thins, ultra thinly slice 30-40 calorie bread. real milk if you're not lactose intolerant--lactaid if you are, etc.)

2) healthy fats. They are... well...healthy!

3) nutrient rich, dense foods (i.e. peas, beans, wild rice, quinoa, edamame, lentils, sauteed greens with olive oil to add fat/calories)

Helpful Food List/Ideas:
    1) 2%-whole milk
    2) 2%-4% cottage cheese and yogurt
    3) cheese
    4) peanut butter
    5) whole eggs
    6) oats cooked in milk w/ 1 tbsp pb stirred in (~350-400 calories)
    7) shake w/ 12 oz milk, 1 banana or cup of berries, and 1-2 tbsp flaxseed (~350-400 calories)
    8) hummus
    9) tahini
    10) olive oil --on all veggies/salads/ and saute really lean meats.
    11) lean meats sauteed in olive oil
    12) more grains/carbs to fuel your workouts (quinoa, wild or brown rice, oats, whole grain pasta, sweet potatoes
    13) nuts
    14) seeds
    15) protein powder (if necessary)
  • Meg_78
    Options
    sorry--it's not that you "can't eat enough" it's that you either 1) don't want to 2) want to but are afraid to or 3) want reassurance that it's okay for you to do so which is what this thread is all about.

This is a little presumptuous...

As someone who was on a bulking diet, there were deff some days when I had a 2600 calorie goal to fill and I struggled, and I was eating all damn day. And I wanted to fill them, and I didn't give a fruck what others thought, or required their reassurance, Some days it was just damn hard work!

The OP said because of his riding he was facing an an EXTRA 2500 calories after already eating, even if you ate noting that is still a lot to fill for an average person, even with all the seeds and nuts and whatever. This is not some bullshiz "I can't eat 1200 calories" thread!
  • gregsonevans
    Options
    I think there is a bit of truth there to be honest, it is difficult coming to terms with eating more than I feel I need to lose weight but there are days when I have to eat close to 5000 cals and that is hard work sometimes, cheers all for the tips though ;)
    Options

As someone who was on a bulking diet, there were deff some days when I had a 2600 calorie goal to fill and I struggled, and I was eating all damn day. And I wanted to fill them, and I didn't give a fruck what others thought, or required their reassurance, Some days it was just damn hard work!

The OP said because of his riding he was facing an an EXTRA 2500 calories after already eating, even if you ate noting that is still a lot to fill for an average person, even with all the seeds and nuts and whatever. This is not some bullshiz "I can't eat 1200 calories" thread!

Say/think what you want. the op has conceded that there IS TRUTH TO what I said...if you can burn it you can eat it damn it. Sorry I struck a nerve but the same applies to you. Bullcrap that you can't eat 2600 calories, seriously?!?! Drop the attitude and you might learn a thing or two.
    Options
    I think there is a bit of truth there to be honest, it is difficult coming to terms with eating more than I feel I need to lose weight but there are days when I have to eat close to 5000 cals and that is hard work sometimes, cheers all for the tips though ;)

Thank you for being honest--it can be difficult. I admit that, but adding fat, more grains/carbs, and calorically dense beverages like milk or protein shakes will help.
  • Meg_78
    Options

Say/think what you want. the op has conceded that there IS TRUTH TO what I said...if you can burn it you can eat it damn it. Sorry I struck a nerve but the same applies to you. Bullcrap that you can't eat 2600 calories, seriously?!?! Drop the attitude and you might learn a thing or two.

I Never said I couldn't eat it, I said it was a struggle some days, And I wasn't burning it, So in my case it may have been different, but I think your 1,2,3 assumption was and is presumptuous...

So glad you are a superstar at the Über eating...Yay you!!