Do I REALLY need to eat that many Cals?

I just read through my new Turbo Fire booklets and according to the calculations, I am to have a 1560 cal a day diet while doing this workout? Does that sound about right? That just seems awfully high to me.

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Sounds good to me. If you eat good whole nutrient dense foods eating "that much" won't seem like a whole lot of food.

I eat 1800-2200 a day in order to keep up with my workouts.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I would not be afraid to go with it. I have mine set at 1520. I have been losing easily.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Michael Phelps is rumored to be on 12000cal diet while swimming 60000 meters every week. If you think 1560cals are too high, think again. Even with no info provided about your weight and height, I'd tell you to stick around 150-200 calories around that number. TurboFire isn't a bad HIIT at all. You'll be burning fairly easy.
  • Great thanks ! I eat pretty clean now. Not perfect of course. Trying to do things "right" I am VERY excited, albeit intimidated too ;) I am WOMAN , hear me ROAR !

ETA: I am 117.6 (in the morning) and 5'6" . Good bit of middle section and lower body "flub" (2 kids!) but hardly any in upper body. for those inquiring.
  • xarge
    Good luck and enjoy it along the journey. Once you're enthusiastic and happy about the change, you won't go back to your old lifestyle ever. :flowerforyou:
  • Good luck and enjoy it along the journey. Once you're enthusiastic and happy about the change, you won't go back to your old lifestyle ever. :flowerforyou:

thanks! I am pumped.
  • xarge
    ETA: I am 117.6 (in the morning) and 5'6" . Good bit of middle section and lower body "flub" (2 kids!) but hardly any in upper body. for those inquiring.

At this point you should focus on dropping body fat. Along with turbofire, incorporate some weight lifting (mid to heavy, no light weights) as well while keeping a decent protein intake. You'll shed it faster that way. You may retain water because of intense workout, you may gain a few pounds of muscle mass in the next few months but don't let the scale discourage you as long as your measurements go down hence, do take measurements ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    With as little body fat as you have, that sounds really low, not high.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    I'm doing Turbo Fire while breastfeeding and averaging 3000 calories a day, I lose 1-2 lbs a week. Give it a try!
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    I am thinking that is not enough calories =) I eat 2000-2200 to maintain and I dont think you are really in need of losing weight more toning and weights is what you need not so much cardio!
  • eevers
    eevers Posts: 15
    Remember that in addition to any workout/exercise routine, you're also burning calories doing normal daily stuff (even sleeping) and I'm sure with two kids, if they're younger, you're getting a bit more calorie burn than most. And 3500 calories equals one pound of fat, so if you're eating 1600 and burning like 18-1900 a day, that's a solid 3, maybe 4 pounds a month that should be staying off.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I was trying to stick to a number like that because it was calculated as maintenance for me, and I personally found it to be way to low. I did not have enough energy for my daily activities plus workouts (I also have 2 kids), and I lost weight that I had not intended to lose. I needed to go up to 1800 on a day when I don't exercise and sometimes go up to 2200 on workout days. I am 5'2" and weigh around 102. So, the calorie numbers seem high, but that's a normal amount. Better to fuel the muscle building, than to stall muscle building progress by not eating enough. Sometimes when we get smaller and have less body fat (more muscle) we need to eat more to maintain and build muscle. But, that's just me. I'm not trying to lose, I'm just being fit. I just thought I'd share because I wouldn't want you to eat too little. Sometimes eating more really is better for body composition and it makes for a more enjoyable life as well.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Michael Phelps is rumored to be on 12000cal diet while swimming 60000 meters every week. If you think 1560cals are too high, think again. Even with no info provided about your weight and height, I'd tell you to stick around 150-200 calories around that number. TurboFire isn't a bad HIIT at all. You'll be burning fairly easy.

It was just a rumor though. Phelps himself denied that he was ever on this diet:
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-diet-just-a-myth/1#.UCawok1lRFs
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    That isn't really very many. I eat 1800 a day. Don't be resistant to eating.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Doesn't sound like much to me, don't be scared to eat it all! You gotta fuel your body when you're working out :)
  • xarge

It was just a rumor though. Phelps himself denied that he was ever on this diet:
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-diet-just-a-myth/1#.UCawok1lRFs

Hence I said rumored. Once thing for sure is that he's not eating anything less than 5000-6000 while training in the intense endurance schedule.