Just Don't Get It! Help Please

Options
I have only been doing this a few weeks now and I just don't understand. My BMR says 2149 calories, my nutrition goal for my height/weight says 1690. I am in the Bariatric surgery program and the surgeon wants me at 1200 calories and walking 4 days @ 45 minutes. I have only went over my calorie goal (1200) 2 days since the start. In the first 2 weeks I dropped 15 pounds. In the last week I am getting 5 days of 45 min of walking in (don't log it because it messes with my brain in how its calculating) and drinking at least 100 oz of water each day and do not eat back my excercise calories and now I'm GAINING! Soooo discouraged what am I doing wrong? Stalk me please!

Replies

• jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try to get more home cooked food in if you can. Try not to eat more than 400 calories in one meal but make sure the bulk of those calories come from lean protein like chicken breast, fruit and veg. From what I have seen you eat small meals that are quite high in calories and fat but maybe are not filling you up enough. Also too much salt will make you hold onto water. I really do know its not easy and life gets in the way but cutting out processed food is what helped me to lose 3 and a half stone in 5 months. 15 pounds is a great start and you must keep going. You want to be in as good shape as you can for your op so keep that long term goal in mind and don't let a short term bump stop you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Your BARIATRIC Surgeon knows best. Listen to their advice.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Your BARIATRIC Surgeon knows best. Listen to their advice.

In this case, I agree with the above.

However, in general, doctors do not necessarily always know best. Many doctors know very little about nutrition and some are still giving incorrect advice. Your calorie intake seems pretty low, but since surgery is involved, I imagine that you have to eat very small meals (did you already have the surgery?). Sometimes, though, eating too far below you body's caloric needs can backfire, meaning that you will lose weight slower.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Having had bariatric surgery myself, you must use this pre-op time to gain the habits/ tools you'll use post-surgery. Healthy eating habits are a must! I agree with Jennielou75 about the quality of the food you're consuming. I can't see your diary so I can't comment specifically, but lean protein, fruits and veggies are a must. As far as listening to your surgeon recommend calories or using macros on MFP, go with the surgeon!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can see your diary and I do worry about what you are eating. Post op eating is very difficult and very regimented and you really need to get your eating sorted to make sure healthy habits are your focus. Look at my diary, as you are my friend you can see it. I am 6 weeks post op and this is all I can put into my stomach so it must be good quality food. Believe me you can do this. Change a meal at a time, make breakfast as healthy and full of fruits and fibre as you can then move onto lunch.

Your surgeon may have little knowledge of diet or nutrition....he or she is a surgeon, they deal with the organs. I saw a bariatric dietitian and am seeing them soon for my follow up. I am by no means an expert but I really feel you need some advice. I go to a website called thinner times which is an american one and wlsinfo which is a uk one. Get as much info about all of this as you can it can only help.