Question About Break-Outs/Tied To Exercise?

Options
Good Morning all,

Before I begin I must state 2 things:

1) I hope this isn't TMI
2) I did some research online first didn't get many answers.

3 weeks ago when I changed my life and started eating right and working out. For my couch potato self this means 30 minutes of alternating between jogging and speed walking plus 15 minutes of stretching prior.

I sweat ALOT for a woman and I always make sure I drink lots of water and shower after every workout right away. Within the first week my skin started burning and itching and when I scratched (arms and legs and a bit of my face) I noticed clusters of tiny bumps. What the heck is going on?

They don't appear to be pimples but itch and hurt like heck. I read online it could be a mild allergic reaction to a chemical my body produces when I work out? This seems far fetched to me also considering I shower once or more a day.

Has anyone experienced this? I need answers :S

Replies

• lessoff
    lessoff Posts: 19
    Options
    maybe you should just make your number 1 priority after a workout to wash any parts that break out (maybe with a mild soap)? that might help.
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    it could be a rash if your clothing is rubbing against your skin too much while you work out.
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    this might be kind of 'out there', but i wonder if it's a heat reaction? when i run or do other vigorous exercise, the skin on my face, chest, upper arms and thighs has a tendency to get warm, slightly red and itchy... all of that increases when i exercise outdoors in the heat. i think for me it's just a combination of better/faster blood circulation and my body cooling itself...
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. except mine are ridiculously bad pimples and acne bumps. Supposedly its from the change in horomones from when you start being active and losing weight.
  • SophieW1988
    Options
    I get this too. I was told once it was from the salt in my sweat. Not much you can do about that though..
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    Could be sweat pimples. I get them all the time.
  • trippleaaa509
    Options
    Probably clogged sweat glands. Mine get like this all the time. Make it a priority to exfoliate your problem areas after each workout. Buy a good salycilic acid scrub to use!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem in the past myself, especially if I don't change out of sweat-soaked clothes right away and shower.

A loofah and some Neutrogena acne body wash has helped tremendously
  • shortnerdy
    shortnerdy Posts: 131
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Glad I'm not alone. I was thinking about trying a really good body wash instead of soap. We do have hard water here so it's extra rough.

Heat is a good possibility but the clothes rubbing I gotta rule out as I wear short sleeves and it's happening on non sleeved areas as well. Hmmm

Anyone else have an experiences/ideas/strategies?
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree with the heat rash theory. I'm a runner, and my chest breaks out pretty badly fom sweat, much worse in the summer. I shower almost immediately after running, used astringent, switched to an acne body wash... Nothing. My husband suggested heat rash since it's around my sports bra area (though not COVERED by my sports bra... So it's not chaffing). I bought generic hydrocortisone cream (about $1.00) and put it on after a shower. Helped a lot..
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem in the past myself, especially if I don't change out of sweat-soaked clothes right away and shower.

A loofah and some Neutrogena acne body wash has helped tremendously

Agree, the Neutrogena body wash helped me out a lot!
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite situation. I still have hormonal breakouts (thanks TOM) but my body has actually cleared up and some of the ones I had have been around for almost 2 years. Hope yours gets better.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    (TMI) I have heat rash type bumps on my thighs and bum. As much as I hate the commercials, I'm going to give Gold Bond powder a try. I'll let you know if their "this stuff works" claim is true.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    my skin hates my own sweat, or something in it, whatever, i'm not a biologist or a doctor. every time i sweat, my skin itches and burns, but the more i work out, the better it gets. my skin is getting used to my sweat and it doesn't itch/burn as much. it also helps to use a soap for sensitive skin and a loofah. change your pajamas and bedsheets often. never put your sweaty gym clothes back on after your shower- only applies if you're working out and showering at a gym.

i hope this helps!
  • oceansablue
    Options
    I remember (I don't know where from) hearing a while ago that if you wear fit clothing while exercising it could lead to acne flare ups. It seemed to apply to me since I noticed acne appearing on my legs after I started exercising on a regular basis and I had never gotten it there before. So I switched to looser fitting clothing. I still have the occasional acne problems but it's not as bad as before. For those I use Neutrogena, like a couple other people have mentioned. Hope this helps!