Being complimented at the gym???

Options
concerto3
concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
There is this woman at my gym that I have total body envy for! I want to look like her, she is totally inspiring! Just wondering, have you, or would you compliment a total stranger at the gym? Have you ever been complimented or told you are inpiring at the gym? How would you take it? I am trying to decide whether or not to say something, I am incredibly shy and don't know if it would be appropriate! (I wouldn't be going up to her mid-workout or while she is changing or anything!)

Replies

• MustangGirl05
    Options
    I have been complimented several times at the Gym and they always ask what I did to get where I am at. You should tell her it makes you feel great to know that you could be someone else's inspiration!!
  • jesshall281
    Options
    I once asked a women with incredibly awesome arms, how she managed to get them? And she said 'I work out' and walked off. So I wont compliment anyone, or ask for advice from anyone in the gym again...felt so awkward!
  • sensualmess
    sensualmess Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think you should compliment her.. :) it would be so nice of you, and I think she would love to hear this :) as every women would like to hear this. :)
  • SusanDDuncan1
    Options
    By all means let her know! It doesn't mean you will chat every day, but she will be happy to hear it and be another friendly face to wave to each time you see her.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I think that would be incredibly flattering to someone who has probably worked very hard at looking the way they do. But I am sure that is not always the case. I think I would probably hold off till I knew if she was a person who is open to others or if she is closed off and doing her own thing.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love this post! When I first joined my gym, I would stalk this woman who had the most amazing shoulders I had ever seen, we're talking Nicole Wilkins shoulders here. So one day I went up to her and told her how awesome she looked, so she offered to work out with me. Fast forward to a year later, and she and I have been trainig together ever since! :) My body has never looked better and she pushes me way past my threshold of pain.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Sure, I've mentioned to other guys before that they're inspiring. Guys don't say it quite the same I suppose. Normally I'll just say something like "What do you do for shoulders? Yours look great". Just keep it low key. I don't know if you should say you have body envy for her but something like "How long have you been doing this? You look awesome." would be fine. Just avoid quoting lines from Silence of the Lambs.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I once asked a women with incredibly awesome arms, how she managed to get them? And she said 'I work out' and walked off. So I wont compliment anyone, or ask for advice from anyone in the gym again...felt so awkward!

Wow, thank you, Capt Obvious! Her, not you. ;)

I mean, jeeez! Not a single "I do a lot of ___ and ___ for my arms??" Or how about a thanks? RUDE.
  • jonzn4fitness
    jonzn4fitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    definately tell her! Someone will be telling you that one day.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you see her leaving and you'd like to say something, go for it. Odds are she'll be flattered and surprised that someone noticed! And you can get to talking and ask her about her routine and nutrition. I've found that the best way to learn about getting in shape and reaching my goals is to get in touch with those who have already succeeded! 99.9% of the time, they've been where you are now and are happy to share how they go to where they are.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    There is this woman at my gym that I have total body envy for! I want to look like her, she is totally inspiring! Just wondering, have you, or would you compliment a total stranger at the gym? Have you ever been complimented or told you are inpiring at the gym? How would you take it? I am trying to decide whether or not to say something, I am incredibly shy and don't know if it would be appropriate! (I wouldn't be going up to her mid-workout or while she is changing or anything!)

I would keep it really easy going. Don't fangirl over the poor woman :)

Something like "I think your abs look amazing! Do you do anything special for them?" I think any more might get creepy.
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have complimented people at the gym.

There is one kid in particular who started out about a year ago who struggled with weight. I saw him almost everyday in the gym lifting and walking. We never really spoke or anything but just recently I told him he was looking good and his hard work was paying off. I just wanted him to know that people notice his hard work. I'm sure he knows that or whatever but I I would like someone I didn't know to just say good job for working hard. Honestly he motivated me with his effort and he never knew itso I wanted to let him know.

So i would say throw the compliment out. People appreciate genuine compliments
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Most people would be flattered to know they are someone's workout inspiration! I think it's lovely that you're wanting to let her know. Everyone reacts to things differently, but I think more than likely it would make her day!
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    A woman once approached me and said how much better my butt looked now!!

I thanked her and was really pleased HOWEVER she says something similar at every session now (5/6 times per week)

It's kind of freaking me out :embarassed:
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I complement people at the gym- mostly women. I would complement the gym guys more, but I don't want them to think I'm hitting on them.

I get complemented relatively often at my gym and every time it makes my day! I say go for it. If I have something positive to say to someone, I try to make sure it gets said. You never know what is going on in someone's life and it could be just the thing they needed to hear.

I have never once thought someone was a nut for approaching me either. I even once had a lady compliment me on my arms and then she told me that the first time she saw me she thought I was just some skinny bish- made my day + it made me laugh! We're friends now.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'd jump for joy if the person wasn't a creep. So far I've just had half the personal trainers ask "Can I take you back to my place so you can do that" while I'm stretching. Never heard that one before th_Rolling-Eyes.gif
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I once had a young woman with a flat behind ask me quite desperately how I got my bum so big and round. She actually asked me that! And went on to ask if I did the Brazilian butt lift. I felt some kind of way about it, but not really 'complimented'. I just told her the truth; it's so big because I am overweight and so round because of nature. Poor thing, she looked so disappointed LOL.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have never complimented anyone at the gym. I don't think I would just give a random compliment to a stranger about their body, and would probably feel a bit uncomfortable if a stranger gave one to me. It feels like a bit of a personal thing to comment on. British reserve and all! But if I thought someone had really good strong arms or abs, and they seemed like a friendly person, and we exchanged a bit of small talk, then I might ask how they managed to get their arms/abs looking so good. But I'd be asking for information so I could improve my own body, not as a simple out-of-context compliment - so there would be a context and it would feel more appropriate.

I do think it's a bit cultural - my experience of North Americans is that they often make more personal comments and ask more personal questions than we do in the UK. So if I was in a gym in the States, I may well compliment someone's body. I would also have the easy excuse of being a foreigner, so if it was inappropriate, I'd be more easily excused and tolerated! :bigsmile: