Pre/Post Workout Nutrition

Helawat
Helawat Posts: 605 Member
I've been thinking about this lately. What do you eat for your pre and post workout meal? Today I had lima beans and soy protein (Boca Burger Patty).

What do you eat and how many hours/minutes do you eat your meal before and after you hit the gym?

Replies

• Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    I've been thinking about this lately. What do you eat for your pre and post workout meal? Today I had lima beans and soy protein (Boca Burger Patty).

What do you eat and how many hours/minutes do you eat your meal before and after you hit the gym?
  • c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    I eat nothing before. Some people do, I like to work out on an empty stomach. I hear your body burns fat 20 minutes into a good work-out. I don't know if that's true, but it's what I do, and it seems to be working. I do a form of circut training, run, walk, aerobics, and stair stepper. I'm down 89lbs. in 5 years and feel great! Good luck- Chris.
  • c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    Whoops-I eat about 1 1/2 hours after the gym. Chris.
  • mildrede40
    mildrede40 Posts: 159
    I eat a banana before I work than my breakfast. They say that you burn more when you eat before a workout. I am down 36 pounds in 5 months.
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    1 slice Nature's own light wheat bread with 1 tbsp organic peanut butter, 30 minutes before my workout.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    I don't like the feeling of working out when I'm full, and also I find it hard to tighten my abs when doing a core workout or any type of situps.

Sometimes if I know I'm doing a long workout, I'll have a banana with a little peanut butter about 30 minutes ahead of time, but mostly I like to work out on an empty stomach.

That being said, I'm usually ravenous when I'm done, so I try to have something ready for when I get home from the gym. It's usually a "bucket salad" made from whatever veggies are in the fridge, and some chicken or tuna thrown in. Another favorite is "veggie delight" -- about half a bag of any frozen veggies mixed with a veggie burger and microwaved for 5 min or so.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I heard your supposed to eat easily digestible carbs like 15-30 mins before a work out if you're hungry. If you're not hungry...don't eat, but the easily digestible carbs will be used as your fuel for your work out. Don't know where I heard that from..but seems to make sense to me.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    I need a small comples carbs snack before I work out such as a little cereal, or even if thats not possible a 100 calorie pack of SOMETHING. Afterwards PROTIEN to feed those muscles. A low cal shake is always good. such as muscle milk lite thisa helps prevent cramps as well as feed your hard worked muscles. but working out on an empty stomach makes me sick and if I dont eat within an hr after I feel sick also. Its my body telling me you did me good now I need some food darn it!!!! just dont go overkill
  • robynlee
    robynlee Posts: 13
    If I have time to work out first thing in moring (40 minutes), i dont eat anything until after. It's a good kick start for your metabolism.
    When I go see my personal trainer he also suggests I eat 2 hours before going and eat something with alot of protein when I'm done.
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    It's important that you eat SOMETHING before you work out. I didn't before a strenuous (sp??) workout like a year and a half ago and then passed out in the middle of the gym.

I was talking about this earlier today. Still embarassed..... :blushing:

I usually have some type of protein bar in me before I go. Watch which ones you grab, because alot of them are high in calories. I usually try to have something with peanut butter in it. And that sticks with me through the workout. I usually don't feel full, so no problems doing situps. And then I'm not starving after a workout. If I was starving, I'm afraid I'd make bad decisions using the ever popular logic of "oh, I just worked out, I can eat something naughty!"
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    I heard your supposed to eat easily digestible carbs like 15-30 mins before a work out if you're hungry. If you're not hungry...don't eat, but the easily digestible carbs will be used as your fuel for your work out. Don't know where I heard that from..but seems to make sense to me.

This is true. When you're body's main source of energy is glucose (simple sugars). I've seen a lot of people say that they have banana's ....thats really good, the simple sugar in the banana will provide your body with the energy it needs to get through a work out, without filling you up. Also, a little bit of protein is good too for those muscles. I try not too eat less than an hour before I plan on working out, that way I don't get side cramps.
  • I've tried not eating before a work out and it was a BIG mistake... I totally hit the wall and ran out of energy. On the advice of a friend, I know generally have yogourt and fruit before a workout - about an hour ahead and it works well.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    I have a small snack with some protein and a quick digesting carb. So it usually an apple with peanut butter or a banana with almonds... Today it was a kiwi with almonds. I try to have it about half an hour before I work out. Gives it time to digest and give me some energy.

If you are weight training you should have a protein right after your work out. Bars and shakes in cans are good for this cause you can take them to they gym. I workout before lunch so once I shower and get back to the office It's been about 20 minutes since my workout. Then I have a balanced lunch with lean meats and veggies.
  • I have always figured that you have put fuel in the engine in order to make it work. But for a long time I had the dilemma of wanting the fuel, but not wanting a full tummy.

I finally found something that really has made a difference. I have a low calorie, low carb, protein shake about 30 minutes before I exercise. Be sure that it is a good quality, easily digestible protein so that you do not get a bloated feeling. Then, about 10 minutes before I workout, I have a drink that is a mix of vitamins and amino acids (L-arginine is good for recovery) and a bit of creatine. I drink an electrolyte replacement drink (watch out for sugar and sodium) througout to stay hydrated so my muscles won't fatigue and cramp, and then after have a protein recovery shake to minimize soreness and nourish muscles.

It may sound like alot, but really I was having a snack prior anyway, and bars can be heavy on my stomach. Then I keep a water bottle with me and am usually wanting a snack afterward. I workout in the morning, so that is pretty much what I have for breakfast.