Favorite Healthy Meals!!!!

Options
Any suggestions on great home cooked meals that aren't bland! Lol.. I know people eat well, but it isn't gross or lacking flavor. What (if any) are some of your favorite, healthy meals?

Thanks,
April

Replies

• FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love these...so tasty even my husband loves them

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/asian-glazed-drumsticks.html
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste.com has the BEST healthy, easy to cook meals!
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste.com has the BEST healthy, easy to cook meals!

Yes they do...normally my husband says i'm a toxic cook but even I can make these recipes :blushing:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am most successful sticking to a lean protein and fruit or veggie side.

If it's not too hot to grill outside (live in AZ, where it can be 115 on the patio at dinner time), I like to grill tri-tip, chicken breasts, pork loin or salmon with a marinade (lot's of store bought marinades or find recipes at AllRecipes.com)

For a quick and easy family-type meal, you can grill burgers (turkey, beef or salmon) and lettuce wrap yours instead of eating a bun. Tacos (turkey or beef) also work well in a lettuce wrap. Heck, I even made sloppy joes last night and lettuce wrapped mine. Buy the "live" butter lettuce and it will last for more than a week in your fridge, so you can use it for a lot of different things.

Fresh fruit is my go-to side dish, especially when it's hot. Grapes and melon are my favorites. I also like the broccoli salad kits you can buy. They are fast and easy. When the weather cools down, I'll probably roast or steam veggies more often.

Stir-frys (shrimp, chicken, beef) are super easy if you buy some stir-fry sauce and frozen stir-fry veggies. Skip the rice to save carbs and calories.

Those are pretty much my staple healthy meals. Thanks for posting this!
  • BrazenHarpy
    BrazenHarpy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry! They can be both healthy and tasty if you do it right. Last night my husband made one with octopus, tofu, long beans, broccoli, onion, bell pepper, XO sauce, and mixed it up with some brown rice. Amazing.
  • avrilamor
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great recipes and tips everyone! :)
  • avrilamor
    Options
    I am most successful sticking to a lean protein and fruit or veggie side.

If it's not too hot to grill outside (live in AZ, where it can be 115 on the patio at dinner time), I like to grill tri-tip, chicken breasts, pork loin or salmon with a marinade (lot's of store bought marinades or find recipes at AllRecipes.com)

For a quick and easy family-type meal, you can grill burgers (turkey, beef or salmon) and lettuce wrap yours instead of eating a bun. Tacos (turkey or beef) also work well in a lettuce wrap. Heck, I even made sloppy joes last night and lettuce wrapped mine. Buy the "live" butter lettuce and it will last for more than a week in your fridge, so you can use it for a lot of different things.

Fresh fruit is my go-to side dish, especially when it's hot. Grapes and melon are my favorites. I also like the broccoli salad kits you can buy. They are fast and easy. When the weather cools down, I'll probably roast or steam veggies more often.

Stir-frys (shrimp, chicken, beef) are super easy if you buy some stir-fry sauce and frozen stir-fry veggies. Skip the rice to save carbs and calories.

Those are pretty much my staple healthy meals. Thanks for posting this!

Arizona? One of my best friends lives there. I thought it was hot in Mississippi, but you all win! Thanks for the ideas. I never thought about the lettuce wrap...that's an awesome idea. I've been eating the same couple of things since I've started this and it's getting rather old. Thanks for your help :) I appreciate it...
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I always keep a batch of Taco meat made with ground turkey or chicken. I can throw it on a salad, wraps or even tacos. I'm always running late or scrambling so it's important to have some go to foods ready.

For lunch today, I fixed a portobello mushroom pizza (portobello base, 1/4 c. sauce, 1/4 turkey sausage crumbles, 2 T. mozz cheese, and a little basil). Soooo good and only about 250 calories.

Also, I love the recipes by Hungry Girl. They're all pretty simple and easy to fix, but tasty. I also have a great recipe from Weight Watchers for Chicken Brunswick Stew. I'll fix a batch in the crock pot and freeze. Grab one in the morning and it's thawed by lunch. They also have a recipe for crockpot Spinach Lasagna that's really good too. It all takes a little planning ahead, but with good tasting healthy meals we can eat like this all the time.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I make buffalo chicken wraps. Frank's buffalo sauce is 0 cal and carbs. It is high in sodium, though, so I use it sparingly. I use a lot of peppers in my cooking. Jalapenos, bells, habaneros, anaheims, poblanos. They give everything a burst of flavor. Very good for you, too., High in vitamin c, which helps the body absorb iron more efficiently.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Some of my faves (all veggie, can adapt for meat):

- Mince/meatballs, wholewheat pasta, peppers, sweetcorn, mushrooms boiled, then finished with a tomato and garlic pre-made sauce. I put Feta cheese in the sauce, too. - Under 300 calories and very filling.

- Halloumi cheese fried in 5ml olive oil with chilli flakes, dried herbs and fresh mint on low fat garlic bread slices and salad.

- Stir-fry in a lime and chilli sauce - 15ml lime juice, 0.33 tsp chilli flakes, 1tsp of garlic paste, and 5ml olive oil. I either have it with noodles and chicken pieces, or a chicken fillet.
  • Acebodytransformation
    Options
    I have a few sites for you allrecipes.com, yummly.com. skinnytaste.com, food.com, or you can google low fat recipes now they all have yummy recipes, and not bland at all...
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What types of foods are you looking for?
    I've been experimenting with soups, casseroles and all kinds of different things.

I've basically been cooking what I like, but focusing on good things and tweaking what I can.

I have some good wing recipes, stir fry etc. The key is the seasoning. That's what keeps you interested and wanting more. Trust me... I look forward to my left overs for lunch EVERY day and I used to go to Whataburger or Pizza Hut or Taco Bell every day.