Quick Breakfast: Oatmeal & Cherry Pie Filling-120 calories

Options
jms3533
jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
I've discovered my new quick, filling, healthy breakfast for my busy days. Rolled oats with a topping of no sugar added cherry pie filling. I nuke it in the microwave while I'm putting on make-up to go to work, and voila, 4 minutes later, it is ready.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup dry rolled oats (90 kcal)
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup no sugar added cherry pie filling (30kcal)

Prep:

In a large, tall microwave safe container (I use a pyrex glass 4-cup measuring cup) add 2/3 cups of water to 1/3 cup of dry rolled oats. Microwave for 4 minutes. Note that my container is high enough so that when the oats/water mixture rises (and it will rise pretty high), it doesn't overtop the container.

When it is done, I spoon the mixture into a traveling bowl, top with 1/3 cup of no sugar added cherry pie filling, and it is ready to eat. There is splenda in the no sugar added pie filling, so I don't need to add any sugar or other substitute. If you keep the pie filling in the fridge, then it quickly cools the hot oats, and can be eatern fairly soon. I eat it in the car on my way to work.

You may be able to use quick oats, but you may need to adjust the water amount, cooking time, etc. Plus they might be a bit more mushy. I enjoy rolled oats because they have more fiber than quick oats.

Only 120 calories per serving. This makes one serving and keeps me full for a while.

Enjoy!

Replies

• vaqueen4
    Options
    Love oatmeat,thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try this .
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful. Thank you
  • Natalie410
    Options
    this sounds so good and easy can you use blueberry or apple pie filling as long as its states no sugar added?
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    this sounds so good and easy can you use blueberry or apple pie filling as long as its states no sugar added?

I'm sure you can use whatever filling you desire. I've tried it with no sugar added apple pie filling, but it wasn't as tasty to me. Those juicy cherries just fit the billing!
  • thinlizzy525
    Options
    mmmm that sounds so good. I make rolled oats also so 1/3 cup of topping will make it even better! thanks!
  • skebe17
    skebe17 Posts: 16
    Options
    Bump!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MyLuvMaya
    MyLuvMaya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bumping for later- thanks for sharing!!!!
  • bpreteroti
    Options
    That sounds yummy....looking for recipes to try...I am new here. Looking for a varity of foods to introduce into my diet. I need to add more calories. Thanks for the recipe!
  • Jenny_Lou20
    Jenny_Lou20 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was wondering - I've never been a big oatmeal fan but this sounds really really good!!!

Anybody can respond to this, do you think with the pie filling and maybe a little cinnamon it could taste sort of like a cherry crisp??
  • iambethie1
    Options
    Wow! This sounds yummy and portable for morning rush time. Thanks!
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm salivating just thinking about this. I think I'm going to thaw the frozen bing cherries that I have and add them to oatmeal tomorrow. What a great idea. THANKS! :love: