Calorie Counters

Options
I track my cardio through Endomondo, and transfer the time and pace to MFP, which lowers my burned calories by about 40%. For instance, endo tracked todays walk at 979 calories burned. However, MFP listed it as 488. So, which one should I trust? I tend to just go by MFP because it allows me less of the extra calories to eat. Better safe than sorry. But, for personal referrence, I would LOVE to know how much I'm actually burning.
Does anybody else use more than 1 counter?

Replies

• wcjcjplourde
    wcjcjplourde Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I tend to go a little less than what MFP ... at least that's what I did before I got a HRM.

MFP overestimates as well. Endo (if GPS is used) can estimate your speed better than MFP.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've found MFP to be a little high. It makes me wonder if it doesn't assume the average user to be larger. I use a Fitbit to get a general idea, but you'll want to invest in a good Heart Rate Monitor if you really want to track efficiently.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You didn't indicate how long you walked. For 979 calories, that would have to be over 2 hrs though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You didn't indicate how long you walked. For 979 calories, that would have to be over 2 hrs though.

Agreed. I am a 200 lb guy and doing hiit for an hour i only burn around 600-700 calories.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio I use my hrm and it usually is higher than MFP I use my hrm because it knows when I stop and how hard I'm pushing it. If I'm maxing out my hr also if I do hills it takes that into account.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have found that MFP over estimates on some things, but is on target with others. I use my HRM for my main cardio exercises like running and biking. I use MFP for swimming because my HRM doesn't work well in the pool.
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options
    hi everyone im new here been using about 10 days, so i hope im using the forum correctly. im a fit healthy person always have been but am trying to really take my fitness and nutrition to the max at the moment. i never realised untill i used this site but apparently im eating WAY TOO FEW CALORIES. and every day i get a message from myfitnesspal saying im not eating enough and my body will soon go into starvation mode and for my own health i should eat more. but i feel like i eat loads, i eat 3 meals a day plus snacks its all super healthy and then at the end of the day when i put my calories in it tells me all this crap. sometimes i go to the kitchen and see what i can eat to make the calories up but im just not hungry and i dont wanna forcefeed myself ? should i just ignore the messages and do i have a good diet or should i make some changes cos i cant see anything wrong ? any help ?
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor, so it tracks my calories burned and I use that amount.
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a fitbit or a heart rate monitor...anything else is just an estimate.

Regarding Endomondo, when I use that site it is very close to my fitbit and MFP (if I check it). Is it possible that you did not set up your profile properly on Endomondo (or one of the other sites)? You have to enter height/weight/age on all of them individually.
  • GeorgieDrake123
    Options
    someone help ?