Zumba questions

Options
AC417
AC417 Posts: 56 Member
The other day I was watching an infomercial for the Zumba workout DVDs and noticed a workout using "toning sticks." I looked them up (turns out they're sold separately on Amazon) and noticed they weigh about a pound each. Since I do Zumba on my Wii every morning, I decided to use these one-pound hand weights during my routine. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my arms (I've used them daily for about two weeks now during Zumba), however I do notice I sweat more with them.

My two questions: Do the weights make much of a difference since they weigh so little, and am I burning more calories using them?

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump as i would like to know too
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's the same as if you were to strap on ankle weights or wrist weights and walk...it will increase the amount of work you have to do to move but its not going to do anymore than that. If you want to see changes, I would suggest lifting weights (and not the little girly ones) in addition to your zumba routine.
  • AC417
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to start adding strength in the evenings then. :)
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba but the "toning sticks" irritate me :) And I really didn't see a huge difference...
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    it may seem like you're not exerting more but you really are. If you are sweating more I'd stick to the sticks.
  • AC417
    Options
    Yeah, the toning sticks kinda look dumb but since my doctor told me I should add strength to my exercise routine, and I had these puny little hand weights lying around, I thought I would give using the weights a try.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I take a zumba class during the week. We use our toning sticks on Tuesday and Thursdays. We use different routines for the nights we bring the toning sticks.
  • AC417
    Options
    It does feel like I'm exerting more, just not toning up. I guess I'll keep using them for the exertion and do regular strength training for toning.
  • AC417
    Options
    Since I'm just using them during regular Zumba, could that be why I don't notice a difference in my arms?
  • WikkedKikaSama
    Options
    When i walk i always use weights on arms and it truly helps (well for me) and for zumba as well.. for me I notice it makes me use my stomach muscles more than the actual arm muscles. Just careful with them becuase of the fast movements in zumba to not injure yourself. I twisted one of my sides bad before i learned my lesson (^_^) good luck and have fun <3
  • connette51
    connette51 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are different sizes in the toning sticks up to I think 5 lbs, maybe more. I found that out when I attended a Zumba and toning class The ones that come with the Zumba DVDs are the lightest ones you can get..
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's the same as if you were to strap on ankle weights or wrist weights and walk...it will increase the amount of work you have to do to move but its not going to do anymore than that. If you want to see changes, I would suggest lifting weights (and not the little girly ones) in addition to your zumba routine.

This, this, this. I do zumba twice a week just for some heart-healthy cardio and to keep myself active. The majority of my progress comes from strength training. Lift heavy and aim to get stronger. Yes, doing zumba (or any cardio) will technically burn more calories while you're at the gym, but with cardio, the calorie burn stops there. When you lift weights, and you really go hard, your body has to work hard (i.e. increase metabolism) to help rebuild those muscle tissues you used while lifting. So the "after burn" added to what you burn in the gym from weight lifting will actually be a lot more beneficial than cardio alone.

As for how heavy you should lift, the program I started out with said "Look at the heaviest weight you think you can lift, and add 25% to that." (As most women think they are weaker than they really are.) You should be at or very near muscle failure at the last rep of your set.

A really, REALLY great book to check out is New Rules of Lifting for Women. I love this book. I can't say enough great things about it. You will start to see a huge difference very early on.
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    The "toning sticks" are for Zumba Toning class routines, which differ a bit from regular zumba routines, if I remembert correctly.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have taken Zumba Gold, Original Zumba,& Zumba Toning. I have noticed a difference in my arms, inches in my shoulders & back. You have to find the right instructor. Mine is brutal. When your holding those sticks above your waist for several routines you feel it. My bat wings are toning & slimming beautiful without being manly muscular!
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow zumba goer!
    I go to class called zumba toning and we use hand weights for some tracks, a couple where you hold your hands at chin level, elbows to the side and wiggle, then straighten each arm to side in turn, and others which are basically tricep and bicep exercises.
    I notice my arms ache next day BUT i use 2kg weights in each hand which i think is 4.4 pounds each so may be try a bit heavier?
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    when I do live Zumba toning classes I use 3 lb weights sometimes 4 lbs they do help to tone the arms and shoulders with enough weights try using heavier weights
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I use the Zumba Wii too and recently found out that they're releasing a new Zumba Wii game this October. Zumba Core, which I'm super stoked about!

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/zumba-fitness-core/102478
  • AC417
    Options
    I use the Zumba Wii too and recently found out that they're releasing a new Zumba Wii game this October. Zumba Core, which I'm super stoked about!

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/zumba-fitness-core/102478

I know! Can't wait. I'm a little embarrassed about dancing in front of people (I'm a horrible dancer) so I like doing Zumba at home. That way I can do the best I can and have fun without worrying about someone laughing at me. Maybe one day I'll get up the courage to take a class. :)
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

This, this, this. I do zumba twice a week just for some heart-healthy cardio and to keep myself active. The majority of my progress comes from strength training. Lift heavy and aim to get stronger. Yes, doing zumba (or any cardio) will technically burn more calories while you're at the gym, but with cardio, the calorie burn stops there. When you lift weights, and you really go hard, your body has to work hard (i.e. increase metabolism) to help rebuild those muscle tissues you used while lifting. So the "after burn" added to what you burn in the gym from weight lifting will actually be a lot more beneficial than cardio alone.

As for how heavy you should lift, the program I started out with said "Look at the heaviest weight you think you can lift, and add 25% to that." (As most women think they are weaker than they really are.) You should be at or very near muscle failure at the last rep of your set.

A really, REALLY great book to check out is New Rules of Lifting for Women. I love this book. I can't say enough great things about it. You will start to see a huge difference very early on.

Yes ,,, All of this... Great book very informative.
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    I am a totally uncoordinated awful "dancer" (yeah, so bad it has to have quotes!) but I don't care and neither does anyone else in my class. I love the classes! But I think I might have to get a kinect and a game for extra zumba time because in the long run it will save me some money and allow me to get it in when I can't get to the gym for class.