Fat people problems: chaffing

Options
Ok, let me start this rant by stating that I am new and just getting on track with my weight loss journey. Mentally and emotionally, I'm ready. But my body won't let me do as much as I'd like. I used to be very physically active. And even as a skinny minny, I had thick, muscular thighs, and I've always had to worry about chaffing. I've never worn shorts to work out -- yoga pants are my best friend. But my new fat person problem? Chaffing in areas I've never had an issue with! Under my butt cheeks and under my arms? What?!?

Please someone tell me this will go away and I should just work through the pain. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I had horrible thigh chaffing when I was pregnant, especially the second time, which was with twins. The best solution I found was diaper cream. Yeah, it is white, and it will come off on your clothes, but when you hurt bad enough, you don't care. I also used some corn starch to help in the heat with sweat and moisture. Sorry if tmi.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It does go away as you lose weight!

Until then Monistat makes a gel that is specifically for chafing. I think it's called Monistat Chafing Gel, and it's amazing. My husband and I both use it on areas where skin touches other skin when we're out and about for the day in the heat.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, yoga pants and diaper cream will make life easier. I didn't have issues under my arms though...good luck!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've always had large thighs myself and in the summer time I use Gold Bond Medicated Body Powder daily between the thighs which has really helped prevent it. It smells kinda like Icy Hot so if anyone asks about the smell I just say "oh sore muscles"

Also Desitin diaper rash cream like the above poster said.
    Cream up and air dry.

Been there, done that too. :happy:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Oh chub rub! I hate you so much! Good stuff right here!
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I always have to wear compression shorts under my workout shorts. Stops the chaffing-I also wear them under my skirts and dresses in the summer-much more comfortable and I can ride my bike everywhere!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I had horrible thigh chaffing when I was pregnant, especially the second time, which was with twins. The best solution I found was diaper cream. Yeah, it is white, and it will come off on your clothes, but when you hurt bad enough, you don't care. I also used some corn starch to help in the heat with sweat and moisture. Sorry if tmi.

^^ it really does help! LOL

and yes it will go away. i don't by any means have great legs right now and they still rub together, but i don't chafe like i used to when i was heavier. :)
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Put deodorant on those places. Sounds weird but it totally works. I put it on my thighs before I wear a dress haha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    apply a bit of stick deodorant around those areas.

i also wear compression stuff.

the worse is getting the chaffing in areas you dont expect. i recently rubbed a 2 patches of skin open in the inside of my boob where they were touching. i had no idea that had happened until i stepped in the shower :sad:
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use my underarm deodorant between my thighs to help with that. Smells nice AND less white residue.

ETA: Third post about deodorant is a charm!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Monistat Chafing Powder-Gel works wonders. It's in the 'feminine' section of Target, Wal-mart, etc.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    BodyGlide. Comes in a stick like deodorant and in a cream. Works wonders and I do NOT workout without it. You can put it anywhere you have problems. I found it at ****'s Sporting Goods in the shoe section but you can order from amazon. Word of warning on the cream - It contains menthol so if you are already a bit raw, it will burn the you-know-what out of whatever skin you apply it to. But it will help heal it as well. For me, the burn is a small price to pay to heal that raw skin.
  • JCRuns
    JCRuns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this:

http://www.bodyglide.com/#/products/anti-chafe

You can find it at most sporting goods stores. I use it between my thighs when I run so I don't end up rubbing a forest fire in my shorts! Also, my DW uses it on the inside of her arms, etc. to avoid the chaffing you are experiencing.
  • redmcgee1
    redmcgee1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always have to wear compression shorts under my workout shorts. Stops the chaffing-I also wear them under my skirts and dresses in the summer-much more comfortable and I can ride my bike everywhere!

This is what i do it works and also you can use stick deodrant, sound crazy I know, but just buy a cheap one and use it for that purpose only all you do is rub on your inner thighs it helps a bit and then I put powder on and then the compression shorts. But the best thing ever that works 100% is the compression shorts
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
  • MomGraz
    MomGraz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As others have said, BodyGlide is the way to go! Not too expensive and it is designed specifically to end the dreaded chub rub! It comes in both women's and men's formulas, but I don't know what the difference is, if any.
  • Actorguy1
    Actorguy1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will order mine NOW. I thought it was my underwear and then I thought it my shorts. I have only had it once or twice in the past but this summer it has been in the 100s often and very humid. I suppose day after day it has built up and I walked 19,000+ steps yesterday only to catch fire and burn all night. lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions to this topic.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Put deodorant on those places. Sounds weird but it totally works. I put it on my thighs before I wear a dress haha

This. The monestat stuff can get expensive. Just use your deodorant in those spots and not only will it prevent the chaffing but it also will dry it out if it's already red and sore.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Gold Bond has come out with one that is in stick from like deodorant called Gold Bond Chafing Defense Anti-Friction Formula.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Heard of something called Monkey Butt that I think will do the same thing...for motorcycle riders~maybe you can find it in cycle shop?>