Help!!! What did I just buy at the grocery store??

Options
I just spent $100, Yes, I said $100 on ALL VEGETABLES from the produce store!

I just don't know what to do with most of them.

I have leeks, turnips, eggplant, zucchini, cucumber, a green squash, cherry tomatoes, parsnip, tomatillos, jalapeno pepper, radishes lemons, onions, spinach, avacados, blueberries, oranges, apples.
I also bought tahini paste and garbanzo beans to make hummus!

Can someone please tell me how I can eat or prepare all this?
I don't want to waste this food, but I don't know how to eat it.

I figured if I bought it, I would be forced to learn how to eat cleaner.

Now I have a kitchen full of stuff I'm too uneducated to eat.

Replies

• Anastasiasosa
    Anastasiasosa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Off hand I would do some kinda pasta with the leeks and tomatoes, probably a tortilla soup (with baked corn tortilla chips) and a ratatouille :)
  • shortybb26
    shortybb26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go on allrecipes.com. You can search for healthy meals using the items you have in you bought. I love this site and use it all the time. You can even make a profile and save recipes or make shopping lists based on what you picked. Also The calorie info is all there.
  • Anastasiasosa
    Anastasiasosa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like avocados with just lemon juice and a touch of salt. I eat them straight out of the skins. I also like cucumbers the same way. I would make a fruit salad with all of the fruit. Usually fruit salads last me 4 days and I have a little with every meal.
  • pvtnick
    pvtnick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Find a site like allrecipes.com and search the ingredients. You may have make a bigger commitment that you needed to at once but hey, like you said, having it around is a good motivator. Since you bought so much I would look for simple recipes or ways to incorporate it into the way you usually eat, such as making eggplant parmesan minus the breading, steaming the squash and mashing it instead of mashed potatoes, making a dip or slicing the avocados to put on salads.
  • pvtnick
    pvtnick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I mean to say a bigger commitment *than* you needed to.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I just throw everything into the blender.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Tahini paste, garbanzo beans, olive oil, basil and tomatoes for hummus

Pasta with any veggies

Wilted spinach with Protein

Avocado mashed with salsa for "easy guacamole"

Sautéed squash with onion as a side dish

Tomatillos puréed and used as a sauce for burritos

Spinach for salad
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    I have leeks, turnips, eggplant, zucchini, cucumber, a green squash, cherry tomatoes, parsnip, tomatillos, jalapeno pepper, radishes lemons, onions, spinach, avacados, blueberries, oranges, apples.

Leeks can be made into potato leek soup. There are high and low fat versions of that available.

Turnip and parsnip can both be roasted or mashed, you'll be able to treat them fairly similarly. You can also boil them.

Eggplant and zucchini can also be treated similarly. I'd be tempted to make a vegetarian penne with them, maybe so low fat cottage cheese in addition to be sort of a "lazy lasagna". They can also both be cut into chunks and panfried and added to pasta. Best way I have had them is roasted with olive oil and then add them to pasta.

Tomatillos and jalapeno tell me that mexican food is in your future.... the avocado would be good with this as well. Maybe have it all in wraps or over rice. Add beans for some protein.

Spinach can also be used to make green monster drinks or in the "lazy lasagna" type thing I mentioned above.

Radishes tend to be salad garnish.... and lemons are good for adding to chicken dishes or fish, I find. The rind of the lemon is also good grated in things. Sometimes I add lemon and ginger to stirfrys.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    stir fry! pasta primavera.....zucchini tots (15 calories.. and slammin) we make veggie fries....Its great to have loads of produce... but I tend to get mine every 3 or 4 days..... yay! for making great food choices... nicely done
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just throw everything into the blender.
    Throw it into the blender, then drink it?
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yum!! I sure hope those veggies don't go bad! Start looking up recipes, it's really that simple. To avoid produce going bad in the future, pick out a few recipes you are going to make during the week, and bring them to the grocery store. ONLY buy the ingredients you need. That way, you can keep the costs fairly low- and you won't have to worry about moldy veggies in your crisper.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tahini paste, garbanzo beans, olive oil, basil and tomatoes for hummus

Pasta with any veggies

Wilted spinach with Protein

Avocado mashed with salsa for "easy guacamole"

Sautéed squash with onion as a side dish

Tomatillos puréed and used as a sauce for burritos

Spinach for salad

Wow, very creative. Thanks. I wouldn't be able to do that!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I just spent $100, Yes, I said $100 on ALL VEGETABLES from the produce store!

I just don't know what to do with most of them.

Can someone please tell me how I can eat or prepare all this?
    I don't want to waste this food, but I don't know how to eat it.

I figured if I bought it, I would be forced to learn how to eat cleaner.

Now I have a kitchen full of stuff I'm too uneducated to eat.

Make a kick-*kitten* stir fry! Mmm. With the blueberries, oranges, and apples, cut them up into a simple fruit salad. Just experiment, there's so much that can be done! Do check out allrecipes, it's really helpful with the reviews, but do mind your sauces and such.
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Spinach can go in just about anything. I use spinach in every meal I cook to boost my iron as I am a vegetarian. I also love to take any and every vegetable hangin' around, sautee or steam them, toss with rotini and add skim milk mozza cheese for a very tasty pasta dish...my dinner last night <3
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    www.supercook.com

You tell it what's in your kitchen, it tells you what to make. It saves your grocery list too, so you can just keep adding to it.

I love it!
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 80
    Options
    Think you're about to have a lotta fun! Good for you for being so ambitious! Time for a dinner party...
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Avocados don't last very long....like 2 days max. Use that first! :)
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I always add eggplant to spaghetti or lasagna. You can also sautée it with EVOO and Italian seasoning for a side dish. Add the fruits in with your cereal or oatmeal. Spinach is awesome with scrambled eggs.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    make fried rice, but add TONS of veggies.... YUM!
  • greenjessie
    greenjessie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could roast a bunch of that stuff in the oven with a little olive oil coating. That would help it last a few days and also be delicious as a side dish or with a little vinegar over some salad greens. Or mix a bit of your tahini with some lemon for a nice dressing for the roasted veggies. Tahini is good with eggplant and lemon (roast egglant, mix= baba ghanouj)

Zucchini makes a fun veggie "pasta" if you cut it into strips and saute lightly or microwave briefly. Top that with some of your tomatoes and you're good!

Parsnip can be steamed and mashed.

Leeks like a good long saute.

Radishes with a splash of vinegar can make a great snack!

Good luck! You've got a lot of good stuff!