What are some healthy foods that are low in Fat?

Options
What are some healthy foods that are low in Fat?

Replies

• saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veg, fish, (with the exception of oily fish but those are good fats), seafood, beans, pulses, soya milk and dairy....
  • SharmelleOlson
    SharmelleOlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you, WightRose!

Blessings, Sharmelle or Shar
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why is low fat important to you? Fat doesn't make you fat. Calorie surplus does. Your body needs a certain amount of fat and you don't store fat anymore easily than you store carbs or protein in a calorie deficit.
  • SharmelleOlson
    Options
    It is important to me due to I have been going over on my fat in my diary and I need to see what is lower in fats to try to fix that part of my diet lol.

• stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Shar - try zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, tomatoes - all great. pretty much 0 calorie choices & make you feel full. I saute mine in Pam Olive Oil flavor spray.

I have also switched salad dressing routine - measure 1 Tbls & that is all you get - lots of flavor but not so much fat.

Good luck on your journey.

Debbie
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast- no skin

Low fat Greek yogurt

Fresh vegetables and fruit
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt....low fat cottage cheese.... veggies.... squashes particularly.... just found a recipe for spaghetti squash pizza crust I'm going to try this week we LOVE spaghetti squash!---- also found one for cauliflower crust....hmmmmm

loads of fruit....
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Sweet peas are great n a little less water filled(it's my main go to if I don't want fat but need a little more protein) also, I changed my goal percentages, carbs were just way too high for me. I'm a carb lover, love to fuel my workouts and brain, but I ended up going over my fats for the day any time that I was eating nuts(usually 1/4 c of two different kinds so 1/2c) after my workout at the gym before walking home! So I went in n upped my protein and fat n dropped my carbs a little, though in general I don't worry about it too much as long as I'm in a deficient for the day... sorry, side tracked! back to task..

skinless chicken breast is fairly low in fat for a good bit of protein(excellent source), oatmeal, veggies in general(I get the frozen bags, they taste great and so much less sodium than canned- I love broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, sweet peas, green beans, and spinach that comes frozen. also fruit is generally low/no fat(depending on if u consider avacado a fruit... I have no clue what it's classified, but it's high in healthy fats) not really clear on what you're wanting to replace the fats with and since we/I can't see your diary, best I can do- hope it helped! : )
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at your food diary but it's not open. In my opinion, MFP tends to carbo load your macros. I eat far fewer carbs than they recommend and higher protein and fat. So agree with the above poster that fat doesn't make you fat. Don't worry so much about the allocation of calories as the amount of calories. You'll do great.
  • SharmelleOlson
    Options
    Thank you, Debbie!

I have never had Zucchini before so I will have to give that a try.

I have had Summer Squash before but I cannot remember if I liked it. So I am going to have to try it again lol.

I love Eggplant and I was just thinking I will have to pick that up next month.

As for tonatoes I love them on my Turkey Burgers and Cheeseburgers and in my hubby's recipes.

I have Leaf Lettuce that I am going to try for the first time and I always put very little Salad Dressing on my Salads. Thank you for the advice on that too.

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Fage total 0% non fat greek yogurt. zero fat. Can't get better than that. Add in some honey or berries. I also love Lay's Light Potato chips. No fat either.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at your food diary but it's not open. In my opinion, MFP tends to carbo load your macros. I eat far fewer carbs than they recommend and higher protein and fat. So agree with the above poster that fat doesn't make you fat. Don't worry so much about the allocation of calories as the amount of calories. You'll do great.

What she said.

Open up your diary so people can see what you are set at. I have actually increased my fat and protein amounts and make sure I get plenty of healthy fats every day. Low fat does not help you lose weight, but healthy fats will keep you... well... healthy.
  • SharmelleOlson
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! your help here is greatly appreciated!

Cottage Cheese sound so good right now lol. I will have to pick some up next month lol.

I have never had Spaghetti Squash before, I will have to give that a try next month too lol.

Oatmeals sounds good right now, I have two bags of it in the cupboard so I can make that at any time I would like to lol. I just do not know how to cook it lol. That is why I have not made any yet lol.

With my Veggies I normally get the frozen bags of almost all veggies. The only thing in the Veggies that I do not like frozen is Grean Beans. But I can eat a can of those by myself lol.

Tomorrow I am going to be trying an Avocado for the first time lol. I have this recipe from a friend that I am going to try with Avocado in it.

Yes, I know you cannot see my diary right now, but if we become friends you can see my diary ok. It listed just for my friends to see/view lol.

• sassyusername
    sassyusername Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can't really think of much to add to what's already been recommended. I would say try and eat less meat though. Also, I know several dietitians and they always say if you are focusing on low fat in your diet you also need to pay equal attention to how much sugar you're getting. I just heard a dietitian say the other day to some clients that it's not fat in foods that makes people fat, it's the sugar.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I can't really think of much to add to what's already been recommended. I would say try and eat less meat though. Also, I know several dietitians and they always say if you are focusing on low fat in your diet you also need to pay equal attention to how much sugar you're getting. I just heard a dietitian say the other day to some clients that it's not fat in foods that makes people fat, it's the sugar.

Sugars are not evil. Fat is not evil. Carbs are not evil.

Excess calories make you fat. Period. Cut your calories and you will lose weight.

(Note: this is for people without medical issues that impact hormonal or metabolic rates)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Sugars are not evil. Fat is not evil. Carbs are not evil.

Excess calories make you fat. Period. Cut your calories and you will lose weight.

(Note: this is for people without medical issues that impact hormonal or metabolic rates)

Yes. You're absolutely right. None of this stuff makes you fat unless you're going over your calorie allowance.
    A healthy diet however, is also important in losing weight. If 60% of your diet is fat and you still have a deficit,
    you're not going to be healthy. Unless I'm missing something?? I believe she is looking alternative foods so that
    the % of her daily foods is less fatty. Not cutting out fat, but reducing the over-all daily amount. Not sure how this is horrible
    in reducing to a healthier lever, not excluding it.
  • SharmelleOlson
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone!

You are correct, Magj0y, I am not trying to cut out fat from my diet, I am just trying to reduce my fat and I am willing to try new things if that is what it come down to lol.

You all have some great ideas and advice here. Thanks for all your input here.