Your best advice for going Vegan

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Go vegan for ethical reasons but I don't believe it's the healthiest way to eat. lots of work to get it right.

pretty much this..

There's a lot of evidence that vegan diets are at least as health-sustaining as any other. My personal opinion, based upon multiple scientific studies I have read, is that a natural, whole-food vegan diet is up there with the best of them. Plus, anyone concerned about farm animal treatment has the added benefit of feeling good about not supporting that industry.

I don't know that it takes 'lots of work to get it right.' I suspect tackling any new habit takes some self-education. I guess I'm strange about this: I LOVE the challenge of learning something new. Finding new information, products and recipes that fit a new lifestyle is inherently interesting to me.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned: IRON.

I'm veggie & I take a multi-vitamin a day, and then also a 200mg Ferrous Sulphate iron tablet every other day. I was at once point taking 600mg a day. If I go too many days without extra iron, I feel weak and get an odd feeling in my legs like they just have no energy at all.

I've been veggie since I was 4 (own choice and first veggie in family), and a year or so ago tried going vegan. I personally found it too hard and it wasn't for me. I basically just don't eat flesh.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Several people have mentioned iron, but I think B12 is the most important vitamin to focus on. I thought I was doing fine without it but ever since I started taking it I feel even better.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to tune out anybody who isn't being supportive! Ive been vegan for about 7 years, and it gets easier. Don't worry about the vegan police either...just transition slowly and have as much compassion for yourself as you do for animals. I take a b12 supplement, but other than that my advice is to eat your veggies!!!! They have iron, protein, calcium, and everything else a body needs.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone asks me how to become vegan, I tell them to focus on the "whys." Why do you choose a vegan lifestyle? What appeals to you about it? Once you are able to internalize veganism (and I believe it should be an ethical decision) then it becomes so simple. You don't even have to think, you just do.

Please check out the book "The 30-day Vegan Challenge" by Colleen Patrick-Godreau. She provides a step-by-step guide for transitioning to veganism. She is also a cook book author with a ton of fantastic recipes.

I would also recommend you download some of her podcasts - "Vegetarian Food For Thought." They will answer a lot of the most commonly asked vegan questions in a very friendly and straight-forward manner.

For recipes themselves, my go-to is "OhSheGlows.com" -- I have never made anything from her that has turned out poorly. I am snacking on some baked goods from her website right now.

I'd also suggest a physical (and blood test) once per year to make sure you're eating nutritionally. But eating a variety of plants, nuts, seeds, and legumes will keep you nutritionally balanced.

Good luck.
  • Tenaciousleee
    Tenaciousleee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to tune out anybody who isn't being supportive! Ive been vegan for about 7 years, and it gets easier. Don't worry about the vegan police either...just transition slowly and have as much compassion for yourself as you do for animals. I take a b12 supplement, but other than that my advice is to eat your veggies!!!! They have iron, protein, calcium, and everything else a body needs.

Love this! Thank you.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "Vegan for Life", it's full of good nutritional info and very reassuring. Also check out all sorts of cookbooks from the library and skim them, you never know what you'll find. Two of my favorite-ever recipes are easily veganized but came from the decidedly non-vegan Dom DeLuise cookbooks. Things like chicken broth are easily subbed out by vegetable broth.

Definitely a B12 supplement, you don't want to mess with that deficiency, some of the damage can be irreversible.

I'm also switching over to plant-based after many years of near-vegetarianism. I've just never been very fond of meat or eggs. Now I'm cutting out dairy, which I love. I'm also trying to lose weight at the same time so I have extra motivation. So far, I think I'm eating better than I ever have, thanks to all the research I did beforehand.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You have some great advice already! I second looking into anything by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau...she even has a 30-day vegan challenge that you can sign up for right now on her website, I'm already vegan but I'm doing it anyway, and so far there is just a TON of information - audio clips, videos, recipes, meal plans, etc. She is just awesome.

She has a cookbook called Color Me Vegan and I LOVE the concept...it's divided into chapters by the colorful vegetables or fruits that dominate the dish, it's a very whole foods based cookbook. I also recommend any cookbook by Dreena Burton, she is really committed to creating healthy recipes.

I found that when I went vegetarian, and then later went vegan, I loved reading anything on the subject I could get my hands on. There are so many resources out there, just head to your library and study up! Embrace and enjoy the change, it's a wonderful way to live. :)
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm no authority, but stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods will definitely have more vegan options.

I would also advise you to ease into it very slowly, otherwise you run the risk of being deficient in a lot of different nutrients you took for granted in your old diet, especially in the short term.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm no vegan but this is how I would do: Explore and research your food options well. A vegan lifestyle is not hard as you can substitute most nutrients from animal sources with plant ones. Read the food labels carefully for any animal products. Watch your iron and B12 intake closely as without proper choices you may face a deficiency in long term.

Thank you! Yes, I have been researching plant strong food lists and recipes . I will definitely look into a good B12 supplement. thanks!

Nutritional yeast if something lots of veges use for b12 if you don't want to take a vitamin. You can use it for anything really to give it a cheesy/nutty flavor
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Go vegan for ethical reasons but I don't believe it's the healthiest way to eat. lots of work to get it right.

Isn't it lots of work for any diet to be healthy? js
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I thought I would give it a look see and tumbled into boundless information about corn-fed antibiotic ridden cows, overly processed everything and the notion that we could cure illness with food.

If you do some research into paleo, it has a huge emphasis on grass fed, pastured animals.

Being vegan is more than just what you eat. You're going to have to check everything you buy. You know that pair of shoes in the store you loooove and need, they're probably glued with an animal based glue. Or those gummy vitamins that are so awesome...more tha likely its animal gelatin. The purses, the belts, the cashmere/angora/wool clothing, nope..off limits. I dated a vegan for a long time and besides the fact he gave off a weird, I dunno..almost composty smell from his pores, he was far from being lean and healthy. I think you should do a little more research about paleo if thats the only other option you're considering vs.vegan
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    There's a group here for vegans and vegetarians. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

Make sure you're getting enough iron; that's the problem I had when I went vegetarian. You will have to work to get enough protein, so you might look into protein powders and learn to love lentils if you don't already. There are some good vegan websites out there, as well, like post punk kitchen, ohsheglows.com, vegan stoner, etc... Also, you really need to mean it. I think it's more of a lifestyle than a diet and there are plenty of vegan cupcakes, cookies and other treats out there that will make it difficult to be healthy if you overindulge.

Would I need to take an iron supplement or just google iron rich foods?

No you shouldn't need an iron supplement because iron is found in plant foods well, such as beans. Beans are a great source of iron. If you get a starter vegan book it will list great sources of protein, iron ect...I liked "vegan lifestyle for dummies" it's a great starter book
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I thought I would give it a look see and tumbled into boundless information about corn-fed antibiotic ridden cows, overly processed everything and the notion that we could cure illness with food.

If you do some research into paleo, it has a huge emphasis on grass fed, pastured animals.

Being vegan is more than just what you eat. You're going to have to check everything you buy. You know that pair of shoes in the store you loooove and need, they're probably glued with an animal based glue. Or those gummy vitamins that are so awesome...more tha likely its animal gelatin. The purses, the belts, the cashmere/angora/wool clothing, nope..off limits. I dated a vegan for a long time and besides the fact he gave off a weird, I dunno..almost composty smell from his pores, he was far from being lean and healthy. I think you should do a little more research about paleo if thats the only other option you're considering vs.vegan

I don't smell. :P
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    Options

Or you don't think you do :P hehe
    Its really hard to even explain, he showered a ton, but it was like an overly earthy smell..like walking in a rainforest. Same with his vegan friends. Maybe I have an overly sensitive nose
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Or you don't think you do :P hehe
    Its really hard to even explain, he showered a ton, but it was like an overly earthy smell..like walking in a rainforest. Same with his vegan friends. Maybe I have an overly sensitive nose

some people just stink maybe. I knew this one guy that always smelled like wet dog...and he didn't own a dog. But I certainly don't smell unless I break wind.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I do think that foods can make you smell differently. I don't know if maybe a legume diet would change the way a person smells but it's possible.

By the way, I don't necessarily think an earthy smell is bad...just very different.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    Options
    No, it wasn't a bad smell at all...just different. People who eat huge amounts of greasy fast food smell different too...but the bad kind of different.
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    Ok look, don't be intimidated by all of these people on here saying that just b/c you adopt a vegan diet that you have to be vegan in every aspect of your life. Not true. How you live your life is your decision, and doesn't have to be based on some kind of standard. The vegan community really doesn't care too much anymore if your shoes aren't 100% vegan, or if your face wash is tested on animals, they are just happy that you are doing something to help the animals. Every medication you take has been tested on animals, but does that mean that all vegans don't take medicine?? No way! So yeah, when someone would ask me if I was vegan, I would just tell them that I "mostly" was. Labels really don't matter.

And just to add, when me and my husband were vegan we didn't smell. I've also never noticed that any vegans I know have smelled any different. Maybe your friends didn't wash their clothes much? Or spent a lot of time in the garden or outside?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Ok look, don't be intimidated by all of these people on here saying that just b/c you adopt a vegan diet that you have to be vegan in every aspect of your life. Not true. How you live your life is your decision, and doesn't have to be based on some kind of standard. The vegan community really doesn't care too much anymore if your shoes aren't 100% vegan, or if your face wash is tested on animals, they are just happy that you are doing something to help the animals. Every medication you take has been tested on animals, but does that mean that all vegans don't take medicine?? No way! So yeah, when someone would ask me if I was vegan, I would just tell them that I "mostly" was. Labels really don't matter.

This. Every little helps, and whilst I prefer to be as vegan as possible, I fail lots of times. As far as smelling goes, I don't think I smell and I haven't been told I smell earthy. Though I do use more organic products, so maybe I smell less chemically!