Drinking 8 glasses of water a day

Options
Just wondering....how important to weight loss is it to drink 8 glasses of water daily? Do you think it actually helps to shed the weight?

Replies

• sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I really do think it does. I was drinking 8 plus and losing really well (its winter here so really cold and its hard to LOL) Anyway, last week and a few days before that, I got slack at drinking water. I was only having 3 or 4 cups. My loss wasn't as good, half the amount. But my eating was about the same? So I don't know. I do think it helps flush out toxins and helps stop you from retaining water.

Water is good!!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't function as well if it's dehydrated.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Yes, it is very important. Not just for weight loss, but for your skin, and organs. If your body isn't properly hydrated, then it can't function optimally. If your body isn't functioning optimally, then it can't work to shed the pounds. Right? Plus it does help flush out toxins and guess what else comes out? Fat. You flush that out with your trips to the ladies room.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Flushes toxins and keeps you hydrated. Everyone needs to drink water.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was drinking almost 3 liters a day...and my abs looked SUPER flat.No extra crunches...just that extra water did it. I think I just tend to retain water around my abdomen and it takes at least (for me!) 3 liters to flush it all out!

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think water is important, but the study that the 8 eight ounce glasses of water came from also said you could get half of that from your food. Most fruit is 75-90% water. Fresh meat is 50%. I forced 8 glasses a day for about a week just to transition, but after that I drink when I'm thirsty and it usually comes out around 4-6 glasses. All indicators show that I'm hydrated (urine color/smell or lack thereof).

The only beverage that has a net negative hydration effect is alcohol. Pop will make you retain water so you'll be heavier and bloated, but it does hydrate.
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It should be noted that the basis of this guideline was 8 cups (measuring cups), which got changed to 'glasses' along the way. In any case, it should be a minimum for the average person.

Slowly drinking it is better than chugging a cup at a time, though.
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that does help to motivate me. Thanks for sharing. I really want to lose the weight this time and keep it off. it's easier to do at home than at work. Maybe I will try to get half before going to work, then drink some at work, and the last remaining glasses when I get home.
  • walkermom58
    Options
    I was drinking almost 3 liters a day...and my abs looked SUPER flat.No extra crunches...just that extra water did it. I think I just tend to retain water around my abdomen and it takes at least (for me!) 3 liters to flush it all out!

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
    [/quote

That's interesting! Sure make me want to dring more than 8 glasses of water! Thanks for sharing!:smile:
  • walkermom58
    Options
    :smile:
    It should be noted that the basis of this guideline was 8 cups (measuring cups), which got changed to 'glasses' along the way. In any case, it should be a minimum for the average person.

Thanks for the info. I will try not to chug it, which is what I do sometimes just to get it in. Looks like you are at goal. Good for you!:smile:
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it really does.

Trust me. I used to drink NO water willingly. Not one cup of plain water, ever! LoL

Your body needs water. I am not going to go on and on, I am sure others will give you all the info.

I hated water at first. I started with cutting out the soda (I was drinking a 12-pack of pepsi every two days.. still enjoy a diet here and there now) And bought the 10 cal. water drink mixes. It really helped me to "like" water. Now I crave it. When I feel thirsty I WANT water! And I don't even use the flavor any more! I am one who always has a drink close by, and making sure it's a water (or coffee :P:P) <<don't count toward water intake......... I drink my 8 without even thinking of it. I feel so much better!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....how important to weight loss is it to drink 8 glasses of water daily? Do you think it actually helps to shed the weight?

This is an excerpt from a WebMD article I read the other day called "12 Diet Mistakes and How to Avoid Them":

"Drinking Too Little Water

This is one of the simplest diet blunders to fix. Water is essential for burning calories. If you let yourself get dehydrated, your metabolism drags -- and that means slower weight loss. Research suggests adults who drink eight or more glasses of water per day burn more calories than those who drink less. So try adding a glass of water to every meal and snack."

You can read the full article at http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-diet-mistakes
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I think how much to drink at a time is a matter of personal preference. I basically chug it all day long. I use a 24 ounce water bottle, and drink one every 30-45 minutes. I've just always drank this much water without any effort. I drink when I'm thirsty, and for me, that's every couple of minutes.
  • roxspires
    roxspires Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do 5 glasses a day 1 before each meal and one in the am and pm hours. I can tell the effect before my meals it helps me feel fuller faster.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have found it helps a lot. I don't get as bad sweet cravings and I don't feel hungry after I eat a meal like I used to. I also feel less "puffy" and think I lost some weight from water my body was holding onto.
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    "The human body is two-thirds water. Water is an essential nutrient that is involved in every function of the boy. It helps transport nutrients and waste products in and out of cells. It is necessary for all digestive, absorptive, circulatory and excretory functions, as well as for the utilization of the water-soluble vitamins. It is also needed for the maintenance of proper body temperature. By drinking and adequate amount of water each day-at least eight 8-ounce glasses-you can ensure that your body has all it needs to maintain good health."

This is from "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis Balch, it helps me remember to drink enough water if not for weight loss then at least for my health :)

I add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime to my water when I find that I'm not drinking enough in a day. It adds some nice zing ;)
  • Spitbubblr
    Options
    I feel as if it does help a lot. I used to drink a lot of juice (never soda really) and cutting it out and focusing on water has left a big change. My skin has more of a glow to it and my once acne has completely disappeared. Water helps, especially in higher amounts.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You're body is 80% water, it needs it to feel "right"
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? Jury's out. For health? Yes, you need to drink about that. I currently drink 9 glasses a day. Makes me feel SO much better.