Can running be fun?

Options
Hey all,

I've got a quick question I would like to ask the audience.

I used to mountain bike a LOT, which included speed, risk, and quick thinking. It really got my adrenaline pumping and was the only activity I could enjoy in my youth, that I had easy access to. A couple of years ago, I injured my knees, which forced me to stop (temporarily, but I got rid of my bikes in that period of time) and has gotten me to the point that I'm at now.

I'm picking up running as a replacement, but I can see myself losing interest down the road because, frankly, it's bland when compared to what i'm used to. I also don't think I would enjoy listening to music while running. It's too much of a distraction. I am looking into taking up cross-country running, but until I get a car (January), it will be too much of a hassle for me to hit the trails.

So, how do you make running enjoyable?

Replies

• jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    :/ music. thats how i make running fun for me at least...
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    maybe you can run in a really wooded area that doesn't have a trail, this way it can create obstacles?
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Music and good scenery make for a great running experience. Treadmills... not so much.

*I missed the not liking music part. Good scenery still stands though.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure my version of fun counts, but I love working harder to beat my best, I love getting sweaty, I love running in a direction I've not run before and find a new way home. My newest love is fartlek (spelling?) I run fast to a certain point, and then moderate.. this has been fun. I love running past my friends' homes and scarying the crap out of them in their living rooms (I only have a few friends I can do this too, and they are okay with it). Sometimes I secretly try to catch up with a runner I spy in the distance until I feel like puking and then I decide to go a different direction. I like waving at absolutely everyone ( I do!), I smile when I run in the rain...

This might not be your kind of fun.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I love running outside! i love the scenery, smells, sights, feel, the fact that it's not easy to turn back, and my music.

I also love the voices in my head that tell me I'm going to fail, and the fact that I argue with them and tell em to shut up.

** yes, I am a tad strange **

oh, and I love the pain, the sweat, the sore muscles, the endorphin rush, the people that point and wave... yup.. I'm hooked
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The scenery is what is keeping me interested. Unfortunately, that scenery is too far away for me to get to at this point in time (I'm stuck in a small town). I'm also getting up for my runs before it's light enough outside to see anything. :P I'm looking at building up to doing cross-country runs. I don't think I would survive a regular marathon. I don't enjoy running on asphalt.

I've also just started, and I'm using Vibram shoes. I did 2 runs of 2km this week, and one 4km. I'm really damn slow.. I'll be upping my distance by 10% every week, to prevent injury. I just want to keep myself from getting out of it before I get to the point where I can actually carry some speed.

The idea of pushing myself to beat my best is definitely something I can do - give myself small challenges every run. I'm just not to the point where I can push myself hard. I need to build a lot of strength in my calves, and my heart first.
  • sassyusername
    sassyusername Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Running outside can be fun. If you live in a city there's always a lot going on around you (focusing on not getting run over by a car will keep you awake). I flat-out refuse to run without music though.
  • mstreff
    mstreff Posts: 3
    Options
    I keep a log of all my workouts, including my runs. I try to challenge myself to get faster and further. I'm still very slow overall. Also, I have signed up for a 5K race every month since April. It's just another challenge. My next race is on the 18th and I'm working very hard to reach another personal best time.
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    For me, it is about doing something that I never thought I could do before.
    I love when I reach new milestones and when I surpass my expectations.
    I use music to keep running enjoyable.
    Also, running is a stress-release for me and I am a very stressful person.
    But, we are all different, so if you don't find running enjoyable just do something else (:
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure my version of fun counts, but I love working harder to beat my best, I love getting sweaty, I love running in a direction I've not run before and find a new way home. My newest love is fartlek (spelling?) I run fast to a certain point, and then moderate.. this has been fun. I love running past my friends' homes and scarying the crap out of them in their living rooms (I only have a few friends I can do this too, and they are okay with it). Sometimes I secretly try to catch up with a runner I spy in the distance until I feel like puking and then I decide to go a different direction. I like waving at absolutely everyone ( I do!), I smile when I run in the rain...

This might not be your kind of fun.

Hilariuos I love this. I just moved here, but if I had friends around I would so do this..

Running is what you make it really. Its a challenge to get better, faster, and to run farther. I also wear vibrams I love them.
    I think I feel like I am really light and sometimes like Im flying(cheesy I know) but it can be such a great feeling. The idea of racing is really good. Maybe there is a running group, or a fun race you can joing. I recently heard of warrior dash, it sounds like fun
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    I used to hate running; now, as I lose weight, I've actually been finding myself wanting to run. I just plug in my iPod and let my mind wander on the treadmill. When you're going at a comfortable pace, it can be a good stress reliever.

Maybe set a goal to do a 5k or something. I am aiming to do a Warrior Dash in July 2013.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    yep, you can gauge your running, so it's fun to compete against yourself.

Plus, you can switch up your running, there are different types of runs, tempo runs, endurance runs, sprints, interals, hills, flat road - it's not *just* running. Your options for where you run are also so varied! trails, pavement, inner city, country roads...

I've dropped my daughter off for an orchestra practice, brought my shoes and explored tons of neighborhoods in the neighboring city .... fun and so easy to do!

use a GPS app to log your runs too. that makes it even better! :D
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    This isn't the same as fun, but running can be very meditative. You can get into a rhythm that you can't get into (I wouldn't think) with mountain biking. Especially in vibrams, you need to think about your form, focus on your bodily sensations. Add breathing in there and that's enough to keep me from getting bored.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Intervals & Hills are fun, if your idea of fun is quasi-torture and the bada$$ feeling you get when you do it.

For long SS slow runs, I listen to an audiobook sometimes, music sometimes, and just enjoy the rythmic solitude and scenery sometimes.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes. I hated it when I wasn't in shape, but I really like it now. I definitely need music to enjoy it fully, though.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what to tell you. You can't get to the trails, you don't want to listen to music, and you run in the dark. It sounds like it's just you, your breathing, and your footfalls. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't know how you can increase your enjoyment given these circumstances. Once you can get to the trails, your enjoyment factor will go through the roof, but for now it sounds like you are just going to have to gut through it.

Good luck and try to enjoy the journey!! :drinker:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Get a buddy. Until today, I have run mostly on my own, distances up to 7 miles.... I've never been a fan, but I'm training for a charity half-marathon... I ran with some of the other team members today, and it was so fun!! The 8 miles seemed to go by so quickly amidst the laughter and stories. For the first time, I am looking forward to the next run!
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I really don't know what to tell you. You can't get to the trails, you don't want to listen to music, and you run in the dark. It sounds like it's just you, your breathing, and your footfalls. There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't know how you can increase your enjoyment given these circumstances. Once you can get to the trails, your enjoyment factor will go through the roof, but for now it sounds like you are just going to have to gut through it.

Good luck and try to enjoy the journey!! :drinker:

I think this is what it's going to turn into.

The one thing that is pushing me to keep going was a running once telling me "When you first start, you are really slow, and it is boring. However, once you develop a strong stride, you can really fly through the forest." I want to fly through the forest!
    you need to think about your form, focus on your bodily sensations. Add breathing in there and that's enough to keep me from getting bored.

This is true. When out early in the morning, since there isn't anything for my eyes to focus on, I am very aware of what my body is doing, how the ground feels under my feet, especially when changing surfaces (you don't get that in normal shoes!), my breathing, etc. I'm not saying it is particularly boring when I go out and do this, but my runs are very short right now (about 20 minutes long on weekdays). I remember when I tried running for longer times, an hour or two, then I got seriously bored about half way through and just wanted to quit. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

Thank you all for your input!
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    Any chance you have or would like to get a dog? I ran for 8 years with the best running partner ever!!! She was always willing and ready, always cheerful, and always kept my pace (well, until she reached her golden years, and then we slowed down). Obviously, the right breed for your style/goals is important (ie, don't expect many miles from a ****zu or peekapoo... maybe an aussie shepard, or greyhound would be good?). My dog's name was Daisy, she was a springer spaniel & we ran slow and steady together (I have short gymnastics legs :smile: ) But man, that was the Best, most fun, invigorating, enduring, HAPPIEST years of my 'fitness life'.

PS, Daisy passed away last year, and I can't quite feel the same about running- probably it my 2 kids in diapers that distract me- but my new spani-poo is waiting at the door for a good run, want to borrow him for a trial run? :wink:
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Any chance you have or would like to get a dog? I ran for 8 years with the best running partner ever!!! She was always willing and ready, always cheerful, and always kept my pace (well, until she reached her golden years, and then we slowed down). Obviously, the right breed for your style/goals is important (ie, don't expect many miles from a ****zu or peekapoo... maybe an aussie shepard, or greyhound would be good?). My dog's name was Daisy, she was a springer spaniel & we ran slow and steady together (I have short gymnastics legs :smile: ) But man, that was the Best, most fun, invigorating, enduring, HAPPIEST years of my 'fitness life'.

PS, Daisy passed away last year, and I can't quite feel the same about running- probably it my 2 kids in diapers that distract me- but my new spani-poo is waiting at the door for a good run, want to borrow him for a trial run? :wink:

I actually really, really, REALLY want to get another dog for that exact reason (and many, many more reasons). My mother used to breed dogs, so I've been around them my entire life. I "adopted" a Papillon from her two years ago, and we started to do a lot of things together. At 10 months of age, we took place in a rally obedience competition and finished in first place for the beginners in two separate runs.

Sadly, a year ago, when she was 19 months old, she passed away due to cerebral hemorrhaging. She was fine that morning, and was gone by the time I got back home from work. I even lost my gf because the two of them were so close.

Now, I don't have the money or the time for a new dog. Maybe next year, after I've graduated, am making more money, and have a car I will have more time for a companion.