Call me a Dummy.....

Options
Soooo...I feel kinda weird asking this question, but how do you cook fresh green beans (healthy way of course)? No one has taught me how to cook fresh veggies like that and I'm sick of buying the No salt added can veggies.

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I just steam mine...either on top of the stove or in the microwave.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I know of 4 ways that might work depending on your preference. No matter what, of course you need to trim the ends.
    1.put them in a pot of hot water, and boil. Add salt to taste if you'd like (they'll taste a bit like canned, and you will lose some nutrients in the water though)
    2. put them in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water OR in the microwave over a bowl of water (I use a tupperware microsteamer basket). Steam until just slightly firm or soft, to your preference. they retain more flavor and nutrients this way b/c they aren't sitting in water that leaches out some of these.
    3. put them in a gallon ziploc with a slight amount of olive oil. add sliced onion and/or garlic, or any other seasoning you prefer. shake the bag to slightly coat the beans with your flavoring. place under a hot broiler in the oven and broil 5-10 minutes. they turn out crispy. I LOVE them this way, they are a bit more caloric but delicious!
    4. Steam as in #2, run under cool water, then toss with balsamic vinegar, onion and a touch of salt for a yummy hot-weather salad.

Hope one or more of these work for you!
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    I know of 4 ways that might work depending on your preference. No matter what, of course you need to trim the ends.
    1.put them in a pot of hot water, and boil. Add salt to taste if you'd like (they'll taste a bit like canned, and you will lose some nutrients in the water though)
    2. put them in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water OR in the microwave over a bowl of water (I use a tupperware microsteamer basket). Steam until just slightly firm or soft, to your preference. they retain more flavor and nutrients this way b/c they aren't sitting in water that leaches out some of these.
    3. put them in a gallon ziploc with a slight amount of olive oil. add sliced onion and/or garlic, or any other seasoning you prefer. shake the bag to slightly coat the beans with your flavoring. place under a hot broiler in the oven and broil 5-10 minutes. they turn out crispy. I LOVE them this way, they are a bit more caloric but delicious!
    4. Steam as in #2, run under cool water, then toss with balsamic vinegar, onion and a touch of salt for a yummy hot-weather salad.

Hope one or more of these work for you!

Thank you!! I will try all of them and see which one I like the most!! :)
  • ultraplop
    Options
    My fav would be the broil method mentioned above, or general roasting. (bake at 350 for 30 minutes with a little oil). I also grill them in a grill basket which is pretty good too.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I usually will take a bit of olive oil or butter, garlic, and a few almond slivers and saute until they are tender.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I bought a steamer - use it for tons of veggies and even shrimp :)