Tips for Healthy Eating while Travelling?

Options
Any ideas for travel tips? I often wind up going out and eating too much-- can't really avoid going out with colleagues but how to get past the fattening menus and huge portions?

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Try to eat at chain restaurants that have online nutritional information, and choose your meal ahead of time - no wavering! But if you get a big-honking calorie meal, IMMEDIATELY request a takeout container and put 1/2 in - even if you have to throw it out. Convenience stores an also be an option for cheese sticks, yogurt, fruit.... Good luck!
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Choose where you will go and what you will eat ahead of time. Also many hotels will take you to a grocery store, when I'm gone long term like for a week or so, I get fruit, cheese, flavored waters, crackers, nuts, etc. It's never gonna be perfect but it will help you when you want to splurge on that nice meal while on the road too, because sometimes its just too hard not to, especially when it's on the company's $$ (expense account!)
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Also, when ordering, try to be the first one to order. Often, people will change their minds once they hear what others are having. I always try to order first. Plus, like the previous posts, I try to plan ahead and look at their menu ahead of time. I travel quite a bit and so many restaurant are accomodating folks who are trying to make good choices. It's so much easier than it use to be. I also try to drink the glass of water before my order is taken. I try to order a side salad to start almost always to fill up on the veggies and dressing on the side to dip my fork of course. Traveling can be tricky, but you can do it!!
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am just coming off vacation. I found breakfast was one way to keep the calories n check. I made sure I had a light breakfast, and bought fruits and veggies for snacking during the day.

For restaurants, I tend to order grilled foods, asked them to make it dry. See if they have kids or sr portions, or immediately box half.
  • a59feline
    Options
    This was helpful since I'll be holidaying next week....the first trip since joining MFP. I will be traveilling with my 23 yr old god-daughter. We'll definitely hit the grocery store - fresh fruit & Vegetable market as soon as possible. We can split the entree
    and each order a side salad and other sides, if either wants something else. I read on another post that the 3 most difficult things to deal with when eating out are breads, alcohol, and dessert. It was suggested that you choose 1 of the 3...and that is it. For me, I'll probably be inclined to skip the bread and dessert and have a glass of wine at dinner. I love the suggestion to drink the glass of water before ordering, and starting with the salad. Also, for the first time in my life, I will pack my sneakers. The hotels have fitness centers so I'll bring my I-Phone and make it a point to get exercize in. I cannot believe those words came out of my mouth!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    good tips so far!

My additons:
    drink lots of water, at least one good size glass between other beverages, starting with the glass of water. Ideally, sip on water through the day so you aren't dehydrated and mistake thirst for hunger when you get to meal times.

order soups for appetizer or main course if you don't have a chance to scoop the menu before you go, broth based soups like minestrone. they will help fill you up due to all the liquid. stay away from anything with "cream" or "cream sauce" in the title or description as a general rule of thumb.

Be careful of the "low fat" options on the menu. Probably better for you than the regular options but they are often loaded with even more sodium to fill in the missing fat!

If you eat a lot of restaurant meals in general, expect a short-term 'gain' on the scale when you get back...the extra sodium will probably cause some water retention. Don't panic, give it time to balance out after you return home to your normal routine/habits.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Some other things I did while travelling with family was bring a bag of goodies and snacks with me. I don't always do this on business trips as. Get weirder looks and the meals are more controlled with colleagues.

For example, I had instant sugar reduced oatmeal, roasted chickpeas, beef jerky with me. I found the protein really helped. I have a grea little neoprene lunch bag tha folds down that I bring everywhere. If my hotel has a mini fride with a freezer option, I wlill freeze bottles of water for the day, and use them as ice packs, I will buy cheese strings, laughing cow, or baby bel cheese. I also bring a little paring knife with a cover (in luggage not carry on), s. can cut up mini cucumbers and peppers, and other veggies in the hotel. Greek yogurt is a great option if there is a mn fridge for breakfast and late night snacks. My hubby thinks its crazy but I brought my only herbs and spice mix premaixed n a little ziploc, and then will mix small portion of plain greek yogurt as a veggie dip. I will also bring some little ziploc containers and baggies to portion out snacks. I look for portable fruits, such as apples, oranges, plums, things that don't dent, or you can put them in a ziploc container.

My last two family vacations, We have been able to ea relatively healthy, and as an added bonus, we spent a lot less on food than we normally do. We went to an amusement park all day, and surprisingly didn't spend a dime.

We still found that we ate out a lead for dinner and sometimes lunch. I would try and share my meals with the kids. I still ate dessert, which love, but we would share as a family. For booze, did limit that as be really shouldn't share wit a 3 or 6 yr old. I wold just share with hubby or just let myself to one. I tried to pick the healthiest options availalbe, but there ar some meal where I would go all out, but just eat less.