breakfast smoothies & protein powder

Options
xabcdefgee
xabcdefgee Posts: 41 Member
holaaa,

2 questions -

1. what are some of your favorite recipes for breakfast smoothies/shakes? (doesn't matter if it's fruit or otherwise)

2. what's a good protein powder for the smoothies/shakes? i haven't really used them much before and i'm looking to start so i need your help!

thank you :)

Replies

• cmoor9756
    Options
    I freeze fresh fruit(bananas,strawberries,blueberries etc.) and mix with nonfat plain yogurt, stevia and small amount of skim milk. then place it in a blender.The frozen fruit makes it really icey and good. My nine year old son loves them.
  • Lynette425
    Options
    2 cups skim milk
    2 bananas
    2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
    .5 scoop protein powder
    Mix in blender. Add ice, blend and drink. Vitamix is the best blender.
  • sassyusername
    sassyusername Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a good vegetable to add to smoothies. The flavor isn't over powering and you'll end up using less fruit which means less sugar. I like spinach/strawberry/blueberry/green apple/ice/milk smoothies but then again I'll eat anything. I don't use protein powder just because I tend to get enough protein from other foods.
  • spinachsmoothies
    Options
    I've been obsessed with smoothies this summer, here are some of my fav concoctions...

Smoothie Base:
    1 banana
    1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/3 cup plain greek yogurt (reg or nonfat)
    1 scoop whey protein (optional)
    handful ice cubes

Fun Flavor Combos I've tried:
    1 tbsp of dutch process cocoa (unsweetened)

1 tbsp of dutch process cocoa (unsweetened) with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter or natural almond butter

1tbsp almond butter, 1/2 tbsp local raw honey, dash of cinnamon

I'm working up the courage to throw some baby spinach in... :)
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1 cup Soy Milk
    1 Scoop vanilla Whey
    PB2
    Banana
    Ice
    Blend
  • KaonaRose
    Options
    I always use this:

1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
    1 cup of almond milk (the kind I use is 60 cals/cup)
    4-6 ice cubes
    1/2 cup of whatever fruit I feel like adding
    1 packet of sweetener (I find it's not sweet enough for my liking without it)

I always calculate the calories based on which type of fruit I'm using, and it is always under 190 calories. It makes a good sized glass full, and I find it helps me stay full for longer :)
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    My morning protein shake comes out like a mcdonalds milk shake....THICK

1 scoop protein powder
    1 serving pb2 (2tbsp)
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
    1 packet equal
    1 banana (frozen)
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    3/4 cup milk
    2 tbsp non-fat plain greek yogurt

blend it up. It will come out as a very thick chocolate shake. Its so damn good.
  • Celliott411
    Celliott411 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My go to recipe is

1 scoop chocolate EAS soy protein powder
    1 banana
    1 scoop white chocolate peanut butter
    1 cup almond/coconut milk

So so good! I never get tired of it.
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    Vanilla whey protein 1 scoop
    6 oz skim milk
    Half banana
    2 tsp fat free sugar free banana cream pudding powder
    1 tsp splenda
    ice

Tastes just like a banana cream pie shake, can also add graham cracker crums and light coolwhip
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A friend suggested Body Fortress from Wal Mart.
    I also use Muscle Milk
    and Atkins.

Breakfast drink is higher in calories a Muscle Milk with a variety of berries. Egg whites as an additive as well.
    For me personally I do better on hunger if I ingest at least 400 calories for breakfast.

Salads for lunch w tuna, salmon, talapia, chicken. a few pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds for variety. Dried cranberries.

Often I use the ready to drink Atkins, with 3 cups of spinach with either flax or chia seeds. Trying to keep nutrition high and calories down.

Peanut Butter, Nuts, fruit for snacks. I mix my protein powders with water to keep calorie count low.

This is just my thing. Incorporate only as suggestions. I do not believe that there are any essential carbs.

I have thyroid issues that have been addressed and have already lost (quickly, I might add) 20 pounds, now I
    am having to work at it. Until my thyroid checked out I was never more than 10 over my ideal weight. This is
    hard as I have never had to work at it. However, I plan to prevail over my adipose flesh...so there HA.

Good luck with what ever you choose that works for you.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    A couple of my favorites are:

1 frozen banana
    1 cup skim milk
    tablespoon peanut butter
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder

3/4 cup frozen raspberries
    1 cup skim milk
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder

A little higher in calories, but a good, stick to your ribs shake. I find I don't get hungry for at least 4 hours or so :-)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    protein powder + water = win

some times i'll put in some peanutbutter
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Isolate whey protein is best INHO, I like the flavours but vanilla allows you to add any berries or mango etc. without overloading the flavour. I usually add some oat bran just for extra healthy stuff.
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    forgot to add that I prefer it with almond milk, especially the vitamin and calcium fortied ones.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use Herbal Life, and it is great!. It comes in about nine flavors, I like vanilla. You can add yogurt, fruit, (I use strawberries, blueberries, rasberries and blackberries). You can also put granola or oatmeal in it. I've never done that. It taste GREAT, is filling (I never thought it would be), keeps my sugar balanced--it works. :flowerforyou:
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use Nutribiotic Rice Protein in vanilla. It's ok--don't love it, don't hate it.

You can throw together pretty much any combo of berries and milk. Right now I have the Festival Blend of frozen fruit from Costco, been blending it with coconut milk.
  • stronggirl69
    Options
    I love love love this one....
    frozen oranges, pinapple & green melon
    President's Choice citrus flavoured low fat milk or a yogurt shake
    a little water
    scoop of GNC's whey burst outrageous orange cream flavoured protein powder

I do many but that is my fav for sure.
  • galilanee26
    galilanee26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of mine. My family loves these so I always have to share!

Base:
    1/2 c. plain greek yogurt
    1 c. unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein (optional)
    1/2 t. stevia (to taste)
    ice (I use crushed)

Apple/Melon:
    1/2 apple
    1 c. cantaloupe or honeydew

Orange:
    1/2 ripe banana
    1 naval orange (you can use strawberries instead for strawberry/banana)

Blueberries add well to the apple/melon.

It's fun to experiment as well :)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    You guys should log the calories burned making these complicated shakes.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    In the morning, for a high-fiber drink, I fill my Nutribullet half way up with a green vegetable (romaine lettuce, spinach, or kale) then I add apple and carrot. For liquid, I put in home-brewed green tea (for the antioxidents) and a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it all up.

In the evening, I blend a smoothie for dessert. 1 cup whole milk, plus fruit, one 1 scoop of Body Fortress Whey Protein (vanilla). I do all kinds of combinations; blueberries, strawberries, bananas, cantaloupe, cherries, nectarines, peaches - you name it. They all taste great together, but my absolute favorites are:

Bananas and cherries (yum!)
    Bananas and cantaloupe (it tastes like an orange-cream popsicle).

I use whole milk, because the calcium is more absorbable, but I'm sure these fruit smoothies would be good with any type of milk. Just be sure to measure, rather than guess the amounts.

The seeds in apples and seeds and pits from some other fruits contain arsenic. Rather than keeping a list, I just remove the seeds and pits from everything before I blend.