Dessert replacements?

Options
What do you guys use as dessert replacements?

I just ate a giant hunk of chocolate cake in a moment of weakness (out to dinner with my parents).

Usually I either suck on a peppermint or some frozen grapes. But I'm getting bored of these.

What do y'all do?

Also, any tips on conquering cravings for sweets? It happens too much for my liking...

Replies

• sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Fiber one brownies...only 90 calories and surprisingly good!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly.. I find a glass of ice-cold water with a couple slices of cucumber and fresh mint leaves curbs the need each and every time... Its very refreshing too!
  • NMD364
    NMD364 Posts: 2
    Options
    Get the piece of cake but only eat a 1/4 of it. Moderation is what helps me. But we are all different. Try low calorie popsciles.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I quit sugar cold turkey.

After a few months, I was able to have some on a special occasion. That's the only thing that worked for me.
  • sharkfrenzy
    Options
    I usually snack on an individual piece of chocolate, some fruit with a little yogurt or whipped cream, or greek yogurt. They seem to curb the cravings for sweets well enough!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Yosicles. I believe 90 calories for two of them.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Piece of dark chocolate.
  • ociiana
    ociiana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oooh I do dried mango slices!! The fruit for life brand are delicious!! 86 calories for 6 chewy decent sized pieces!!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Did that chocolate cake cause you to go over your calories for the day? If not, then there really isn't a problem.

However, to answer your question. I usually save calories for dessert type food at the end of the day. The more restrictive you make your food choices the harder it is to stick to your plan.
  • jmontes143
    Options
    I usually eat some blueberries, raspberries, or a couple squares of dark chocolate. I also really like arctic zero ice cream, it's a protein shake in ice cream form and they have a lot of different flavors! Here's the link: http://www.myarcticzero.com/pints.php
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't usually replace desserts, but when I have, I've done 2 scoops of vanilla whey, 8oz skim milk, 1 cup of frozen berries and 1 frozen banana. It's like a milkshake. It's not low cal, but is better balanced nutrient-wise than the chocolate cake or other dessert might be. 95% of the time, I'm just working with my calorie intake to fit the dessert into my limits.

Forgot- I add water to the blender to get to the consistency I want.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Piece of dark chocolate.
    Yep - this, or a dish of plain Greek yogurt topped with fresh fruit (berries or peaches are my fave) and drizzled with honey. It's cold, it's sweet, and it's tasty!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    What do you guys use as dessert replacements?

I just ate a giant hunk of chocolate cake in a moment of weakness (out to dinner with my parents).

Usually I either suck on a peppermint or some frozen grapes. But I'm getting bored of these.

What do y'all do?

Also, any tips on conquering cravings for sweets? It happens too much for my liking...

1 or 2 squares of very dark chocolate
    Frozen berries
    PB2 mixed with unsweetened cocoa powder and a bit of water
    Nectarines
    Strawberries
    Hot peppermint tea
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fruits and stuff but still have a sweet tooth.

Dove milk chocolates do a good job for me. If I eat one or two and I'm usually OK. It's much more satisfying than a "fun size" candy bar. BTW, is it just me, but there's nothing "fun" about a tiny fun size candy bar. A true "fun size" candy bar would be the size of a brick.

You can also use the old standbys like sugar free jello and some whipped cream. A bowl of cereal is not bad either.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like fruit sauces. All you do is take some fresh berries, add a little water (1/4 cup for a cup of berries) and honey (about 2 teaspoons) to the bottom of a pan, add your fresh berries (any kind) and let it simmer until the fruit starts to break down. You end up with delicious, sweet, natural desert for under 100 calories! Sometimes I enjoy it with a slice of angel food cake, for a few calories more :).
  • LadyAHG
    LadyAHG Posts: 1
    Options
    One small flat not rounded teaspoon of Lemon Curd.. or Crystal Lite lemonade powder..

Or just a taste of the cake.. your choice it's always your choice..
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If I get an urge for something sweet....I reach for my yogurt or even Nonni's biscotti. They make chocolate ones and one biscotti (depending on which one you get) is up to 110 calories each!!
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    oikos cherry on the bottom yogurt, 90 cal for individual serving.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I bake cookies, brownies, bread,muffins etc with no sugar and crap in it. They're actually pretty yummy.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I get teensy little mini-ice cream cones and fill 'em with about 1/4 cup of frozen yogurt. Never runs me over 70 calories.