Going gluten-free, any suggestions?

Options
As of the 1st of this year I've really been busting my butt to get healthier. I've improved my eating and exercise habits a lot and have dropped over 60 lbs. However I still have a few lingering and annoying health issues I'm trying to "cure". Looking up some of the symptoms it seems that going gluten free may be a good idea, at least to see if that helps.

I think lunches will be my biggest challenge as I frequently have sandwiches at lunch. If anyone has suggestions for great gluten free lunches I'd appreciate any advice.

Also, any tips, tricks, awesome gluten free items or items with gluten that I may not know from label reading?

Thanks!

Replies

• blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I just dropped in to make sure you weren't going gluten-free to lose weight, as that doesn't always work! And I hate seeing questions go unanswered. Great job on the loss btw.

The only thing I can say is to google "gluten free lunches" "gluten free food". I hope you find some valuable information, sorry I couldn't be of more help! :S
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'd say stir fries if you don't mind making your own. You'll want to get San-J's Gluten free Soy Sauce for that though. It's really good.

I don't know if you have access to a bread by Julian's Bakery. My best friend swears by it. I'm going to have my sister stop and pick me up a loaf next week on the way back from Tampa. Unfortunately, no one near me has them.

I do know that breakfast is easy: cereals and tons of waffle selections (either buy a mix and follow the directions or eat Van's or one of the other Gluten free ones).

Lunch - go with rice or you can try Udi's for bread. Ideally, it's best toasted so if you're work place has a toaster oven, I'd keep the wet ingredients separate - toast the bread and combine them. You can also get a small sandwich press. Remember though, it gets hot so you'll need a place to store it.

You can also make rice rolls. They sell giant sheets of rice paper (check to see they are really rice paper - some of the regular grocery stuff isn't). You just put it in hot water and let it soften. Supposedly, the longer it absorbs, the stronger it becomes. I would go to youtube and find something showing how to make them. That's how I'm going to deal with my sandwiches. It's easy and I can add veggies and just bring a dipping sauce or make my own. :)

To make it easy, here's a quick link that shows using rice paper. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L6soEjARq4&feature=player_embedded
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You can buy gluten-free bread (though it's not very good), or gluten-free wraps, and sort-of still have your sandwiches.

Chicken or beef stir-fry and rice.

Honestly, my lunch is generally whatever I had for dinner the night before - just make yourself a little extra and pack it up for lunch!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Check everything you eat for awhile until you know what you can and can't have. Gluten can hide in weird places. Like chips, seasonings, sauces, ice cream, medications/supplements, canned soup, candy and lunch meats.

Be very careful with anything pre-made. Frozen hamburger patties might look tasty, but they might also have wheat in them as a binder. Anything breaded is probably out, and "wheat free" does not mean "gluten free".

Oh, and one thing I keep hearing is that you can't have any gluten. Including rice gluten. That is NOT true. The gluten in rice is nothing like the gluten in wheat and is 100% safe.
  • itsme_timd
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I probably should have clarified in my OP but I'm self-employed and work from home so preparation is no big deal. I don't have to eat sandwiches but seem to now as they are quick and easy. Fortunately I'm in an area where I've got a nice health food store, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

I just looked and I do have a place close that sells the Julian Bakery breads.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Whole Foods will most likely have Rice Paper wrappers. They are really easy to use and you can even pan fry them. Make sure that your food says Gluten free. I know my rice paper didn't but I'm pretty sure it gluten free (and that stuff is hard to find unless you've got one of those places that's sorta international and carries oriental foodstuffs). My best friend loved the almond gluten free bread and the coconut gluten free bread. She said they are so good you can eat them without toasting them. The one that is more moist is the coconut one (luckily - it's apparently softer).

FYI - The coconut one is way lower in calories. The almond is like double in calories so if you're trying to reduce weight - go for the coconut one. They also have one that's gluten free called Carb Zero. She loved all three though.

They do sell great Gluten free bread crumb toppings. My favorite is Gillian's. I've made fried pork chops (though it makes for a small meal on my calorie intake). I have that and 6 broccoli florets and I'm done. Either way, I had missed breaded foods and actually prefer my chops in Gillian's over regular bread crumbs.

Here's the link for them: http://www.gilliansfoodsglutenfree.com/products/index.php?cPath=29&osCsid=7edbd3da6066c033f32f38772868d8d2

I've had the original, not the Italian. Oh, Whole Foods in my area carries them so you'll probably get them there. :)
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My friend is gluten-free for health issues. She likes the Udi's Alternative bread, found in the freezer section of the natural and organic food side. She buys it at Nob Hill.

I found some gluten free bread at Whole Foods. There are a lot of brands. My friend said they are "not all equal" and some taste like crap but not all. :)
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    As for gluten free snacks? My favorite is Enjoy Life "Beach Bash" trail mix. My daughter's favorite it "Mountain Mambo."
  • itsme_timd
    Options
    Thanks Monica, I was just looking on the Julian's website at the Almond and Coconut breads and wondered if they were any good. Seems like Whole Foods would be a good option for most of the items I'm looking for.

Ahhhhh, OK... I just watched the video on rice paper wraps and now I realize what they are. There's a Thai/Vietnamese place about a 1/2 mile from me that makes amazing salad rolls. They load them with bean sprouts, rice noodles and shrimp and/or pork. I actually eat these fairly often.

I'll take a look for that trail mix as well and see if I can find the Udi's bread.
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For awhile when I was concerned I might have gluten intolerance, I mourned the loss of sandwiches - in particular, I eat a lot of light tuna salad, light chicken salad... you get the idea. Try rice cakes at least once to see if you like them - I was surprised that I did, and still swap out bread for rice cakes every now and then to meet a calorie goal.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bob's Redmill (find at WF or other natural grocers) has awesome cornbread and other mixes available. It really isn't that hard of a thing to find at natural grocers so I think once you look you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    If your doctor suggests gluten free, then do it...if not...there is absolutely no point, really...Unless you have a MEDICAL reason, there really isn't a reason for it...Just because it's the latest hype doesn't mean it's going to make some crazy difference in your life (unless its medical, once again)
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Warning! You need to ask them if they use regular soy sauce. There are sauces they might use that contain gluten. It sucks but I've found myself unable to eat at most of those places. That's why I started trying to learn how to do it myself.

If you want really great oriental sauces - try the San-J sauce that's gluten free at Whole Foods. It's amazing. They also have hoisen sauce (like what the youtube video said) that's gluten free.

Monica
  • LoriInnerStrength
    LoriInnerStrength Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love Food for Life brown rice tortillas and Mary's Gone Crackers.
  • toddcando
    Options
    I'm currently down 21kgs from January using calorie counting with fitness pal and moderate exercise, but was looking for a more sustainable way of life moving forward. Have you considered primal/paleo eating which is working well for me and really moves away from a 'calorie is a calorie' and is anti inflammatory way of life. Google Mark's daily apple and check out you tube for success stories. This is clean eating, low carbs - see what you think
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley Gluten free Granola Bars are pretty good as are the gluten free pretzels - not sure the brand but in a dark blue bag.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fresh meat (sometimes packaged stuff has gluten traces in it), brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, Ancient Harvest Pasta (its made with quinoa and other grains other than wheat, rye, or barley), Ezekiel Bread (in the organic freezer section), eggs, cheese, yogurts, fruit, rice cakes. the possibilities are endless. My nephew has celiac so I am always coming up with different things for him to eat, I've also noticed since I have limited my gluten intake that I'm less moody, my headaches are a lot less frequent, and I'm more "regular" with less stomach issues. Heres a recipe I posted the other day for chicken strips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/698988-healthy-chicken-strips-with-pic

Also, on my blog, I have a recipe for glutten free banana muffins. Best of luck to you!
  • itsme_timd
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, some really great advice here and lots of things to look for. Sounds like I don't have to change my overall diet that much, just a few substitutions, I think dining out will be the biggest challenge.
  • StaciieeG
    Options
    Oh my gosh gluten free has worked so well for me! I defiantly recommend it to anyone trying to lose weight! Before I started using myfitnesspal I had lost over 20 pounds and eating gluten free played a huge part in that! If you every feel like you're really craving wheat or bread, I recommend spelt bread. It's amazing, tastes just like real bread! There are also other types of wheat-free baked goods that are amazing :). Usually if you find a good gluten-free bakery it's like you're not even giving up wheat. But yeah also by not eating wheat I hardly ever feel bloated. Once you start getting used to not eating wheat you almost never crave it. If you want read this book called "Wheat Belly" I forgot who the Author is, but it's the reason I gave up wheat in the first place. Good luck!
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    It's not the latest hype or fad, gluten wheat free diets have been around for over 30 years. I know because I started looking for products when I was in high school. Back then, I was a bit more limited so I was stuck with very bland meals and the recipe books focused on constantly shifting foods to reduce reactions which made my eating habits super impossible. They didn't have all the gluten free sauces and stuff. Pretty much I lived on rice, potato and oatmeal as that was all I could find and all my foods were bland. I did eat the wheat for a while (ocassionally) but I've always felt kinda sick on it and I'd always have to stop for a few months or go to a doctor if the skin rashes got too bad (I'm also allergic to trees, grasses - anything that's in the environment).

I'm highly allergic - to the point where my doc said I can't ever go through immune therapy to stop the allergic reactions to wheat. They managed to control the ones to the environment and now I religiously use Zyrtec and Zantac as both help with skin rashes from the environment (thank goodness for modern meds).

While eating wheat, I get migraines, massive skin rashes, sinus stuffiness, and I've noticed that I feel sluggish and sick when I'm eating wheat - I did notice my stomach was bloating and I had, um, intestinal issues sometimes. I finally went cold turkey and decided no more about 10 days ago and I've never felt better. Gluten isn't a requirement to live, you can go without it. Luckily, they've improved the items out there and you can actually lead a pretty normal lifestyle now without it. Not all the foods are expensive. It's just a big change in how you eat.

Unfortunately, the testing for it requires you eat a ton of wheat and then go have a biopsy done of your internal intestines. Frankly, that sounds painful to me. It's a whole lot easier to just not eat gluten for a month and see what happens. If you feel great and some issues vanish - than Yee Hawww! You succeeded. If no difference, then go back to normal eating.

I know for a lot of people the most common issues come from gluten, dairy, eggs, and sometimes corn. I have read up that the hybridization of wheat has caused the gluten in it to increase by drastic amounts. Also, previous diets in the past were more of a mix of grains. They didn't eat like we do and they weren't always eating just plain wheat. It was cut with other foods. Heck, if you were poor - you probably couldn't afford wheat and ate potatoes. Hence, the potato famine that led to so many Irish coming to America.

P.S. Spelt is from the wheat family. It's not recommended for celiacs or wheat allergies. It used to be touted that way but now they have to mark most packaging. I know I reacted really badly to it so I know I'm allergic. Ancient grain my foot, it's just another form of wheat. Also, be careful of Quinoa. It's also one of those questionable grains. The safest ones are usually marked gluten free. If you're lucky, you might be able to eat Quinoa but I'd recommend staying away from it at first. Stick to the ones that say Gluten free.

Oops. I should have said that Quinoa is NOT a grain BUT they've recently run into issues where it causes a gluten type reaction. They are still investigating so you need to be careful. I think I put some links about that on another post.