How important is protein?

Options
I am starting Insanity and I would like to lose about 10-15 pounds. I am 5'5 and weigh 124 pounds. I am a vegetarian and have been for 3 years. I have heard so much hype about how the only way to lose weight and tone up is if you have limited carbs,fats and eat tons of protein. Insanity even has your macros at 40 protein 40 carbs and 20 fat.

My question is how important is it to have protein when trying to lose weight? I know other ways without eating meat for me to get my protein but I never can get 40 percent.

If I eat at my specified calorie intake (eating CLEAN of course) But didn't get as much protein would I not lose weight as quickly or efficiently?

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with anything as long as you eat at a calorie deficit, I was still losing weight while eating 4 Snickers every day (nothing else) but the question is does anyone want to do that to their bodies? I certainly wouldn't do again. Protein is essential to help your muscles regenerate after a workout. I would never go low carb as I know that would make me feel miserable. I would never go high carb either for the same reason.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Protein is essential because it helps spare lean body mass as you lose weight. Without adequate protein, you'll tend to lose more muscle along with your fat, which heads you toward the look they call "skinny fat" (skinny, but high bodyfat % and no muscular definition).
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    What anvil said.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Protein is essential because it helps spare lean body mass as you lose weight. Without adequate protein, you'll tend to lose more muscle along with your fat, which heads you toward the look they call "skinny fat" (skinny, but high bodyfat % and no muscular definition).

This.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, you need protein in your diet.

Since you're a vegetarian I'd look into whey and casein protein powders. This may help too:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, you need protein in your diet.

Since you're a vegetarian I'd look into whey and casein protein powders. This may help too:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

Agreed. I'm a vegetarian and I really like making protein smoothies for breakfast or post-workout. My fave is: ice, frozen banana, peanut butter, soy milk, and chocolate whey protein powder. One scoop of my protein powder has 20 grams of protein and is only around 90 calories. It's a great way to boost the protein intake and it's SO DELICIOUS.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    As important as you want it to be... 50 or so keeps most from losing muscle mass. A little bit more if you weigh more than I do....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

This.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have a looksie at my diary if you like- I'm a veteran vegetarian and get 130-170ish grams of protein a day. (today is actually a really low protein day for me, but look at almost any other day).

Protein is only important if you value your muscle mass, which I do, very much.
  • one more question; How many grams should I be eating a day?