good weight at 5'10"

Options
My doctor told me a good weight for me is around 155. I'm 5'10", does anyone else think that seems a bit low.

Replies

• matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, it seems low to me. I am 5'10" and my goal weight is 185. Based on past experience, I am around a size 12 at 185 which for me is lovely. Could I be smaller? Of course. But I figure when I get to 185 I will see how I feel and go from there. The healthy range is like the 130's to the 170's if I recall correctly.
  • btkkterry
    btkkterry Posts: 183
    Options
    I feel that would make me look like a stick lol
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" as well, 155 would just be laughable on me.

I'd look like Christian Bale in The Machinist.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Im 5'11 and my goal weight is 189. If you want to determine your goal weight below is a link to how to figure.it out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=weight+goal&page=1#posts-10002223
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It is on the smaller end of the scale for a man, but my hubby only weighs slightly more than that and could probably get down to this weight without looking like a stick, so I guess it depends.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    RIGHT NOW I am 6 feet tall and weigh 176 lbs ...

so unless you have a VERY small frame, 155 lbs sounds like it's too low.
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'10" and I am at goal but I am a girl (and a pretty old one at that) and I weigh 164 back in the day when I worked for the airlines my top weight was 141....I was way too thin back then....caused many eating issues later in life...You will know when you hit goal, and if you don't everyone around you will be sure to put their two cents in...believe me...haha
  • btkkterry
    btkkterry Posts: 183
    Options
    Ya, he said I have a small frame for a Guy, he could overlap his fingers around my wrist and ankle
  • deckthomas
    deckthomas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" on a small fram and156-158 is about right. Those BMI calculations seemtobeoff, I'm at 22.4% which is towards the high end.
  • nycegal
    nycegal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think 155 is a bit low....I know it is what is recommended but personally 170 is good for me but my body like 180... ;)
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    <
    5' 10'' 155lbs.

So yes you can look good at 155, If you had a very high percentage of muscle and low body fat. This is what 9% looks like.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and one trainer said 150-170 would probably look awful on me. My dr. said don't pay mind to weight so much as under 28% on the BMI chart. I've set myself at 200 and will ultimately shoot for around 190, I would say.
  • rlee3787
    rlee3787 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual really. I am 5'10 and roughly 135 and I am healthy. Because of my body chemistry 135 is fine, but for someone else that may be unhealthy. Know your body, and remember that health and fitness are not completely measured by numbers on a scale. :)
  • saford10
    saford10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes that seems low. I am 5'8" and when I was in school I was 145 I look at those pics now and I was way too thin, I would think 170 would be best for my but would be happy at 180 and that might be the weight that would be good for you since your taller. I think 155 would make you look sickly for your heighth. But what really matters is how you feel at whatever weight you get too not what someones ideal model should look like. We all have different bone stucture so what is good for one might not be good for someone else. You will find your comfortable weight.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Ya, he said I have a small frame for a Guy, he could overlap his fingers around my wrist and ankle

That's funny. It shouldn't matter if HE could overlap HIS fingers around your wrist. It's if YOU can overlap YOUR fingers around your wrist, then you have a small frame. His fingers have NO bearing on YOUR body frame. :laugh:
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Weight means nothing. What matters is how much muscle you have and your body fat percentage. The higher the ratio the better you will look, regardless of your weight. Your doctor isnt technically wrong, if you worked at it you could look great at 155, but yes if you are not trying to have abs you'd still look good at 165 170 probably 15% or so
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 101 Member
    Options

That's funny. It shouldn't matter if HE could overlap HIS fingers around your wrist. It's if YOU can overlap YOUR fingers around your wrist, then you have a small frame. His fingers have NO bearing on YOUR body frame. :laugh:

ur dr seems wierd. mine keeps telling me to weight about 150 at 5'11 (girl) and i have a medium frame. get down to whatever you feel best at and eat healthy.
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    I think anywhere between 160-180 is a good weight :)
  • BlessingsinStore
    Options
    Yeah I think it is low I say 160 to 185
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, 150 and Size 4.. I'm def. not too thin.

As wolf pack said, I have a good amount of muscle and decent body fat(20%)... and thats why I look ok at this weight.