Baby boomer, newly diagnosed diabetes, and thanks!

Options
Hi all. I started using the tracking functions of MFP after getting being diagnosed with Type II, and it's still low enough to control with diet and exercise if I do it all correctly. So working on getting a handle on that. As a teacher too, it's going to be a challenge, but a doable one I believe.

I am finding this Community portion of MFP confusing between the message boards and groups. Would be nice is there was a clear schematic of some sort that shows how it's set up as it's easy to get lost or find your way back to a place recently visited... Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, MFP is making life easier and the ability to set one's own goals for special circumstances (like carb limits for diabetics) is really wonderful. I find the tracking fun because of the broad database and ability to add foods/counts into that database to fill in gaps. Hope this stays free, and hope you MFP creators make your fortune on this! It's a great service.

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HI! I am a T2 as well. MFP has done wonders for me and my blood sugar. I hope to be completely off my meds by the time I reach my final goal. Being able to record my calorie AND carb intake is so helpful! The support is amazing! I agree...its a great site!
  • scrubjay67
    Options
    Hi! So glad you agree. I'm so happy that finding out about MFP coincided with my diagnosis, which occurred about 3 weeks ago. MFP took away all the panic. And being able to use the function to track anything of your choice, I can now track my blood levels too, which helps correlate response to food intake so much easier! Have you used that?

What I can't figure out on this site is how to start a Forum topic. Seems like introducing yourself is the only way bc it looks like every thing else is a reply to someone else. Can't figure out what I'm missing. If i want to pose a question in the Diabetes T2 forum (if there is one) I have to search the term and can only reply to someone else. I don't see a way to start a fresh thread. (I wonder if it's something with Safari, but I doubt it. Guess that's the next step)

I hope you are doing well with your commitment to get past meds and get to that final goal! Weightwise I'm a long way off! But MFP should help alot. Funny, my diabetes educator didn't know about it. I tried to explain how great it was, but as a newbie, I'm not sure she believed me! :) Could be an age thing and technology thing on her part...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Go to any forum and in the upper right corner there is a green "new topic" button. Click that and type away! :)

I didnt know about MFP till an online friend recommended it to me. I still cant believe its free...they must make a LOT in advertising revenue. :D I didnt know you could track blood levels. I just put a note in my diary as to what my fasting sugar reading is for the day. But I no longer need to test as often as I did when I was first diagnosed. I test a couple mornings a week now and they are consistently under 100, which is great!

As for finding your way back to a topic When you click on Communities, you will see menu across the top of the list. There is one that says My Topics. That will give you a list of topics you POSTED in. That's the closest you can get. If you want to keep track without making a real post, just post the word "BUMP" and people will know you are bookmarking it to your "My Topics" page. Hope that helps!
  • scrubjay67
    Options
    That's really helpful, Crochet! Thank you! Great job on the 18 pounds! I really was a carboholic, so it's no wonder it came to this, but I have to say how ironic it is that when I was losing maternity pounds a struggling a little 21 years ago, I joined a weight loss organization that believed in hi carb, lo fat. ("go ahead, eat all the popcorn you want!") I think that may have been the start of setting me up for what has gradually developed over the years (diabetes). Luckily I didn't have a major sweet tooth, so it's mainly the carbs that did it. This organization still exists and I certainly hope they've changed their tune.

So then is there a group for diabetics or not? Or is it just replies to the first person that posted about it? Thanks again for your help.