Losing weight after 40....impossible??

Options
Someone just told me that after a woman turns 40 it gets harder and harder to lose weight. In my late 30's I dropped 20 lbs and gained 10lbs back over time. I'll be 42 at the end of the year, I workout regularly and I eat well but I can't lose an ounce of the 10 Ibs I gained back. Maybe there's some truth to this losing weight after 40 business. Anyone out there having success that can give me some hope?

Replies

• emcolonna
    emcolonna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have known people who have lost weight at 67! Don't let age be a factor! You can do it!:happy:
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I lost weight after 40 on Weightwatchers! I did put it all back on again but I'm trying again. Starting now!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Someone doesn't know what they're talking about.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight at ANY age... what does get harder I think is moving. The longer you've been sedentry the harder it is to get the old bones going again.

* I know... I'm 49... not a woman though* <<<< minor detail.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep it's possible. one of my aunties lost 60 pounds in 2 years and she was like 58. that was 5 years ago and she's kept it all off. the key is to make it a lifestyle change and not a diet. so basically whatever you eat while you lose you need to be willing to eat that same way for the rest of your life.

i'm pretty much following my aunt's way and making small changes that i plan to keep for the rest of my life. my weight loss might be slower than if i were 20 and might be slower than if i drastically cut my calories, but i'd rather it take me 2 years to reach my goal weight than to practically kill myself to get it off in 1 and turn around and regain it.

one thing to keep in mind is that as you get older, you naturally lose muscle which in turn lowers your metabolism. so just add in some weight lifting and forget the cardio only workouts
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Got an older family member here who lost weight. If we can GAIN it after age 40, why can't we LOSE it?
  • Muldactus
    Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
    Options
    I'm not to my goal yet.... but I've lost about half the weight I'm wanting to, and still going. I'm 42. I suppose it might be a bit harder, but then I was never that active to begin with. No, it's not impossible after 40. All it takes is the desire to do so, and the will to make it happen!
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you SEEN Tosca Reno? She didn't lose weight until after she was 40.
    http://blogcritics.org/books/article/an-interview-with-tosca-reno-author/
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Nah, keeping it off is harder than actually losing it. At 44 I lost 35pounds, over one year, 28 of those I do not put back on. The other 8 is a bit of a yoyo, especially at holiday times.Now, in my 50s I am now trying to lose another 10 pounds, which is harder, but I am determined to it. So Good Luck with your challenge, you can definetly do it!
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You didnt say what u weigh....those of.us who need to lose 100#are rolling our eyes :-) but if u want to people who are at some ideal under thirty year old weight severely restrict calories...you have totake good vitamins and mostly be vegetarian...sorry abt screwed up text its android phone..exercise yes but if u really want it then accept your metabolism sloer and cant process all that meat...try no mor than twice a week and no red neat. Forget sausage bacon and most pork. Just sayin.lose it and its important to you, then I gotya say :love: ver 40
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, and it's not impossible, just more difficult.
    I found I had to kick up my activity and cut down my calories...
    slowly but surely, it's coming off.
    I don't like the word "DIEt" (notice first 3 letters!!), I consider
    it a lifestyle change. My husband and I are at an age where we
    want to be around a long time, so our fuel/food intake plays
    a major role in that decision.
    Good Luck!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Man that last text fell apart...anyway over forty means less muscle, so less animal protein, watch the dairy too...but you have to carefully build a more fish, legumes and nut protein base,and u don need as much protein depending on yr physical activity, pay attention to micronutrients and minerals, supplement with good multivitamins, get your D and calcium and iron checked 3 o 4 times a year, learn how vegetarians ans mn d pescatarians (fish) eat. In general become a vegetarian cows pigs and hens are fat. Fish are lean.
  • bakerct1957
    Options
    nothing is impossible im 55 and lost 55 pounds keep trying.
  • Lidenbrock
    Options
    I am 49. Joined MFP January 4th 2012 since then lost 21kg (46lb approx) - like anything else worth doing its hard work and you need total awareness about what you are eating - but it is possible. Good luck.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and have lost 61lbs. Keeping it off!

You have to "want" to lose it! No matter your age!

PS I have more "wrinkles" on my belly though :bigsmile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Impossible - hell no!!
    I lost 22kg (nearly 50 pounds) last year. Since then I've put 4-5 kg back on but the bulk of the weight has stayed off.
    I'm 45.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You didnt say what u weigh....those of.us who need to lose 100#are rolling our eyes :-) but if u want to people who are at some ideal under thirty year old weight severely restrict calories...you have totake good vitamins and mostly be vegetarian...sorry abt screwed up text its android phone..exercise yes but if u really want it then accept your metabolism sloer and cant process all that meat...try no mor than twice a week and no red neat. Forget sausage bacon and most pork. Just sayin.lose it and its important to you, then I gotya say :love: ver 40

You're outlook doesn't apply to me and from what I've seen on MFP not to many others either. I'm 41. I eat plenty of meat (nothing against vegetarains btw - I think it's a worthwhile lifestyle choice) and loads of protein. I would agree you are better off having more white meat than red if you are a meat eater. I don't severely restrict calories, just a moderate deficit and have been gradually transforming myself. Ignore yesterday's diary please if you're inquisitive enough to check - was an aberration as was at a festival :tongue: . Anyway I'm already down to what I weighed in my former heyday of fitness when I was early to mid 20s and anticipate being back to what I weighed in my late teens in the near future.

I'm doing this by a lifestyle change, not a diet! As one other poster said that's key imo, actually that's important at any age. I exercise hard at least 5 days a week and eat good food.

Age isn't a barrier, it might make it a bit tougher from a physical perspective, but in some ways it can also be an advantage as you don't have peer pressure to deal with to go to mcdonalds, eat junk at a cinema etc etc.
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Great to know there is hope. I do think it's possible to lose the weight but like many said it takes a bit longer post 40 especially for women. My husband can blink and lose 10lbs in a week! I don't eat meat (pescatarian) and for those that asked I'm 5'3" 149 lbs.
    I strength train twice a week and do cardio 6-7 days a week. This is definitely a life style change for me. Thanks for the incite. I'm more hopeful that over time the results on the outside will reflect the results on the inside.
    :happy:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    47 here.

Yes, it's harder. Hormones are starting to shift, metabolism is slowing down.

But it's NOT impossible. You may just have to take a different approach.

For me, what worked in my 30s didn't work any more.
    I had to really bump up my exercise.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have lost of 311 lbs. from age 39-42 and haven't noticed an issue in my case.... Best of Luck...