Confused about BMR, eating back calories, deficits, etc...

Casfaye
Casfaye Posts: 13 Member
Ok, when I started my weight loss journey I was at like 180 around this time last year. I have lost 20 pounds in all since then. I was down at 160 for a very lonng time, a huge plateau. However, a few days ago I hit 159. Now I'm really trying to focus more on what I'm eating, this is where I need help. Our Fitness Pals daily minimum goal is at least 1200 cals a day. I am 18 under my cals right now, worked out today (logged) also. Now I want to work out again but I'm not sure if I should. I haven't reached my 1200 cal yet and I feel full so I'm wondering if I exercise today and don't eat afterward am I doing myself harm (going into starvation mode, etc.)??? Should I just go ahead and work out w/o eating after? I just calculated my BMR and it's around 1490, so does that mean that's how many cals I should be eating in a day at a minimum to be able to lose weight?

Can someone plz explain to me if I'm trying to lose why I need to equal out my cals w/ exercise...isn't that just maintaining weight? I read somewhere about MPF or something but idk what that is. I've tried to do the research but I guess I'm just not getting it.

Any help would be appreciated....

Replies

• restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    I found the 1200 did not work for me I have mine set at 1400. my BMR is almost 1600. I do eat back on some days but not all. It has worked for me. I do lose about 1 pound a week with out exercise and 2-3 with. Im 5'6" and 192 if that helpsI
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    When you create your MFP account, it asks your for your daily activity without exercise and creates and daily calorie limit based on that info (with your age and weight). So any exercise you put on top of it is extra and now the daily output has increased, which means you're 'allowed' more calories. So if you continue to hit your MFP daily limit, you are STILL going to be at a deficit, because MFP takes your desired weight loss into account when it creates that info for you.

Think of it this way: you hire a contractor to remodel your kitchen and he gives you a price of 2000. If you change your mind one day and decide you ALSO want him to remodel your bathroom, the price is going to go up. Same thing for your body. Your body is going to cost X amount of calories to run every day doing your routine activities. Once you add more activity to your day, the 'price' goes up and now you owe your body more calories.

If you feel full and still have calories left, just try to aim for 1200 NET. Calorie dense foods will help you hit your goal if you're still too low: nuts and nut butters, avocados, oats, etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    This topic helped me a ton with this very subject: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I ate at the 1200 calorie level for awhile, lost for awhile, and like you, hit a plateau. Upped my calories a little, changed up my workouts, lost some more. Stuck again, and so on. Finally after reading the advice in that link up there, I changed my goals here on MFP and manually set my calories according to the info there.

Your BMR is your basal metabolic rate, or the number of calories you burn if you were comatose and laid in bed all day, just breathing, organs functioning, etc, no activity. So it's the basic amount of calories you need to just exist. Based on your personal info and activity level, you can find your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure - the number of calories you burn in your every day life, working, shopping, household chores, etc. I aim to keep my net calories between those two numbers. I want to always net above my BMR, because obviously, it's the bare minimum I need to exist, and it makes my body happy. :smile: And I want to keep my calories below my TDEE because going over it means I'm taking in more than I'm burning in a day. It happens every once in awhile, but no big deal.

With this plan, I am consistently losing the fat. The thread I linked explains it better than I do - check it out. Hope it helps!
  • Casfaye
    Thank you so much for that, it makes sense. However, when meeting this goal of 1200 if I workout again, put myself at a deficit (owing myself more calories) should I eat them back or just stay at the deficit, b/c if I would eat them back wouldn't you just say skip the workout b/c it's defeating it's own purpose?? I just don't want to sabotage myself without even knowing it.
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Working out has many benefits. One of which is avoiding becoming skinny-fat.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    MFP sets you at a deficit whether you exercise or not. If you exercise but don't eat those calories back you are creating a double deficit....and probably not consuming enough to fuel your body. Over a day or so....not a big deal. Over a longer time though, you could cause your metabolism to slow.....making losing at all harder, and perhaps causing other problems too. So eat those calories! Your body needs fuel to run well, even when you're losing.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Thank you so much for that, it makes sense. However, when meeting this goal of 1200 if I workout again, put myself at a deficit (owing myself more calories) should I eat them back or just stay at the deficit, b/c if I would eat them back wouldn't you just say skip the workout b/c it's defeating it's own purpose?? I just don't want to sabotage myself without even knowing it.

If you're gonna workout again, you'll need to fuel your body properly. If you're not hungry, have a few handfuls of almonds which are very calorie dense but still packed with nutrients. If you exercise and don't fuel your body, it'll start breaking down your muscle to feed itself.
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Don't eat your calories back if you can help it. If you have fat on your body that you are trying to use, why would you deliberately eat more? If you are starving because of your workout and absolutely must then thats fine, but its there if you need it, not a requirement.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    bump for later... I get confused at times too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Personally, I eat my exercise calories back, or at least enough to net above my BMR, as I said above. If your goal is only 1200 calories a day (which is considered the bare MINIMUM daily intake for most women), then I highly recommend eating your exercise calories back, otherwise you end up with a net below 1200, and likely well below your BMR. You might see some quick weight loss for a time, but will likely end up stalling, feeling hungry, grouchy, and tired, and without enough energy to fuel your workouts.

You've probably seen the term "starvation mode" thrown around on the boards - you're not going to starve eating that little, but if you don't fuel your body properly, it will eventually slow your metabolism to match your intake. Not eating enough gives your body a reason to store fat - it's not getting enough fuel, so it holds onto whatever it can, stalling your progress and making you very frustrated. Been there, done that!

Some on the boards will tell you they never eat theirs back, others say eat a portion of them - everyone's different and you kind of have to find what works best for you. But dropping below 1200 with your net calories is generally not enough food. Like I said in my previous post - find your BMR and your TDEE, follow the guidelines in the link I posted - stay in between those numbers and you will see results!
  • evanesco
    evanesco Posts: 52
    It's not too hard to understand. Use an online calculator to find your TDEE (I've done mine for lighlty active) set MFP to maintain, based on this figure you will not lose weight, now work out, log those, there's your deficit, eat them back, you will not lose weight, don't eat them back, you will lose weight. Simples.

If you're not working out subtract 20% from your TDEE, this is your deficit.

Example: My TDEE = 1790 to maintain. I work out, burn 370, don't eat them back, net = 1420. Based on this, I will lose weight.
    OR, TDEE = 1790 - 20% = 1432. I can eat this and lose weight without any burn, however if I set MFP at this and I do work out, I will still have to consume the burned calories, since the deficit will be too high for my body to actually function. I want my body to work at it's optimum, not make it hard for it to function.

However I really do not advocate netting less than 1200 on any occasion, since even at 140lbs, my BMR is 1410, so I need this just to function without moving off the sofa, therefore I never net less than this.
  • Casfaye
    Ok, I think I'm getting it more now. Thanks everyone!!
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    This helps!!I don't want to harm myself cos I am almost always below 1200,just cos I really don't get all that hungry.I drink tons of water so that may have something to do with it.Plus I have lost weight and toned up without using my fitness pal,did it all healthy,ate well and exercised.The whole subject of eating or not eating back calories confused me.Glad I found this thread!!