Will power to say no?!?

Options
I was doing soo well, slowly but i was losing average 1lb a week.
I went camping last week and its where it begun, we went in couples and none needed to lose weight or was on a diet and we lived on bbq's everynight, I was doing well i had salad and chicken and pepper skewers first night, and everyone was saying boring you need a burger... not sure they knew how serious my new eating plan was.
So by 2nd night I had a burger, then dip was on offer and I wanted to 'fit in' so I said to myself i'm on holiday, I should have few days off!
Now back home I'm struggling, before I went my cravings was slightly settled (i'm an emotional and bordom junk food eater! since I come back I'm always hungry not logged everything in since before holiday as I'm truly ashamed. Im always craving chocolate and started picking at food late night (my partners on nights that dont help as he keeps me strong lol)

How do I get back in swing of things I don't want to to go back to way I was at all, but cant seem move forward! I've gained 4lb in the last week which as taken 3 weeks before that to lose!

Replies

• shortjennifer
    Options
    When we learn to walk we fall down and then get up again. You are learning to rethink your relationship with food. Congratulations on the steady weight loss, start fresh - you know you can do it. Somebody (your OH perhaps) needs to have a word with your friends - what sort of friend won't support you just now? You are doing great - one lapse isn't the end of the world!
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I totally feel for you - this was me last week. I went to stay with my mum for a few days, it was her birthday, we had people round and meals out and piles of homemade cake ... etc. etc.

And Monday I was totally bummed because EVERY TIME I've tried to lose weight this has been when I fell off the wagon - when I have a break in the routine, and get into unhealthy habits. I find it nearly impossible to pick them up when I get home again.

It is hard. But this is what worked for me this week:

1. Work out straight away. When I got home from the station I dropped my suitcase at my apartment and went straight to the gym. Do not pause, don't think about it - stick a DVD in if it's easier. Just get some exercise immediately.

2. Accept it might take a couple days to get back to where you were. Don't expect your body to happily snap back to when your cravings were manageable. How did you manage them when you first started out? It might be worth repeating some of those tricks. For me, I let myself go a couple hundred calories over for a day or two just while I adjusted - it stopped me binging. Plus I use things like sugar free jelly to snack on when I can't convince my body it doesn't need to eat.

3. Use your MFP friends. This is what was different for me this time, and I think it's what helped me get back on track. Tell them you're struggling, ask them to hold you accountable. It really does help if you know what you're doing is being scrutinised.

You can do it. I promise. Just gather up the willpower, stay strong and power through the next few days. You'll be losing again before you know it.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When we learn to walk we fall down and then get up again. You are learning to rethink your relationship with food. Congratulations on the steady weight loss, start fresh - you know you can do it. Somebody (your OH perhaps) needs to have a word with your friends - what sort of friend won't support you just now? You are doing great - one lapse isn't the end of the world!

Thankyou - I have amazing close friends that i'm doing this with sadly they wasnt the friends I went away with.
    They were more my partners friends and their wives, so I felt a but un easy being there anyway and wanted to fit in, I think thats why went so much off track too. I just wish I said no! I should of been able to.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I totally feel for you - this was me last week. I went to stay with my mum for a few days, it was her birthday, we had people round and meals out and piles of homemade cake ... etc. etc.

And Monday I was totally bummed because EVERY TIME I've tried to lose weight this has been when I fell off the wagon - when I have a break in the routine, and get into unhealthy habits. I find it nearly impossible to pick them up when I get home again.

It is hard. But this is what worked for me this week:

1. Work out straight away. When I got home from the station I dropped my suitcase at my apartment and went straight to the gym. Do not pause, don't think about it - stick a DVD in if it's easier. Just get some exercise immediately.

2. Accept it might take a couple days to get back to where you were. Don't expect your body to happily snap back to when your cravings were manageable. How did you manage them when you first started out? It might be worth repeating some of those tricks. For me, I let myself go a couple hundred calories over for a day or two just while I adjusted - it stopped me binging. Plus I use things like sugar free jelly to snack on when I can't convince my body it doesn't need to eat.

3. Use your MFP friends. This is what was different for me this time, and I think it's what helped me get back on track. Tell them you're struggling, ask them to hold you accountable. It really does help if you know what you're doing is being scrutinised.

You can do it. I promise. Just gather up the willpower, stay strong and power through the next few days. You'll be losing again before you know it.

When I first started I took away all temptation Deleted it so to speak, I stopped myself having chocolate crips etc as I was miserable and anything was better than looking like this. I slowly introduced 1 a week and my friends said was good idea have a treat night but not go overboard so once a week I had a takeaway but tried not go too much over. so slowly I got to a happy place within eating calories. With the 'week off' I remembered binging and how lots of food taste and I miss the huge portions, at moment I'm weighing all food out as i'm counting calories and trying stick to foods my family eats so im not awkwared so my portion sizes are quite small and since coming back i'm always hungry, but i think thats because was binging so much on holiday.