Walk to Lose Weight

Options
If you are just starting out on your quest to become a healthier person, walking is a great way to start.

Walking is one of the best, safest and most natural forms of exercise. Walking is an effective exercise for people of all ages regardless of your fitness level

Walking is an underrated exercise and yet one of the most effective. Walking is a great starting point if you haven’t moved properly in a long period of time. One of the easiest and safest ways to get and keep fit is a brisk walk of 30 minutes each day. Brisk walking can lower cholesterol levels, stimulate circulation, strengthen the heart, help control weight, reduce high blood pressure, relieve stress, develop strength, stamina and endurance.

If you haven’t taken been involved in any exercise for sometime, then start off gradually, strolling with a bit more determination a little longer than normal, slowly building up your endurance level. It is probably also a good idea to start walking at a fairly relaxed pace until you have warmed up, before graduating to a really brisk speed. If you have a dog, walking the dog is a great motivator
Depending on your fitness level, you can try the following:
-Strolling walk – walking in a relaxed fashion but with a good posture, shoulders down, arms swinging naturally as you walk.
-Brisk walk – fitness, pace or aerobic walking: all mean pretty much the same thing, stepping up your pace and pumping your arms as you walk.
-Power walk – for a fit, experienced walker, usually working with a personal trainer. Walking with weights, carrying them in your hands and/or strapping them on your waist and ankles.
-Treadmill walk – great when the weather isn’t co-operating. Most gyms have treadmills, but many people are getting home versions that chart distance and speed and time the walk.

If you are doing a lot of serious, committed walking then you might want to buy a pair of shoes designed for walking. A good pair of shoes just makes the walk more enjoyable. Older people may be more stable in a shoe with a thinner hard sole. You should also wear comfortable clothes that don’t restrict your movements. In winter, wear layers that you can peel off as you warm up.

So instead of sitting on the couch, get up and take the dog for a good brisk walk. Will feel better for it.

Replies

• augustbells
    Options
    Thanx for the post! Many people don't realize that walking is such great exercise. I make it a point to go for a walk everyday whether it's a nice stroll in nature or a brisk walk to get my heart rate up.
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One great way to ensure getting a walk every day is to get a dog. : ) I feel guilty if mine doesn't walk at least 30 minutes a day - sometimes in this rough Canadian winter climate we aren't always able to get out in the winter but I will take him around the block if nothing else when conditions are bad. It's made me an avid walker - I really miss it when I can't get out. I have a 30 minute, a 45 minute, 60 minute and 75 minute route. We switch it up all the time.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    One great way to ensure getting a walk every day is to get a dog. : )

Uhhh, danger, Will Robinson - I know several people who thought the same way but guess what: they don't take the dog for walks and just let it out into the backyard. That's not fair to the dog and guilt is not a good motivator for lifestyle change. It's great that it's working for you :flowerforyou: but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to get a dog anyway for other reasons.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    My boyfriend lost 80 lbs walking to work everyday ( an hour and a half )

I've been walking lots lately, hope it works for me.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    Also I liked the dog comment.

I have a nine month german shepherd, and she's the best walking partner, plus I find you walk faster with a dog.
  • katee38
    Options
    I try to walk everyday. I work at a school so during my lunch I will walk the building, 40 mins of walking in circles does really help, plus keeps troublemakers on their toes. I have a pair of Skecther Shape Ups, only for a few days now so we will see how those work. I can tell you though you can feel it after a good twenty min walk!
  • FitnessOver50
    Options
    I have two dogs that I walk when it is not pouring rain. Vancouver gets the odd rainy day