Confused..standing burns so much calories?

Options
Playing in a band while standing for 3 hours doesnt burn 633 calories, does it?
Cause apparently it was listed there, and i couldnt believe my eyes.
So i checked other websites, but some said that standing only burns 253 calories for 3 hours.
@_@...

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    No, it really, really doesn't.

This is one of those vastly overestimated things in the MFP database.

If you really need to 'count' those cals, I'd go with the much lower estimate.
  • RainBol
    RainBol Posts: 8
    Options
    hah i see.
    thanks so much ^-^
  • annabell48
    Options
    From what I have heard, yes, standing does burn calories, due to the body supporting your body weight. As far as the amount of calories that just standing burns, I agree, better safe than sorry by going with the lower number. One way to check is see what the caloric intake is for the food consumption here says for the different options (i.e.: Seditary, standing, etc.).
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Standing's also better for your body in general.
  • joannaleasa
    joannaleasa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    if your sweating it out playing licks under hot lights you could possibly.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Try just increasing your activity level for the day rather than logging it as exercise. Probably more accurate.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    its part of your daily routine calories, standing. I used to have a friend on here that logged her standing at work as exercise :|
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can think of a few musicians I know who would burn more than that in 3hrs but they don't stop moving the whole time on stage. Drummers also burn insane numbers of calories.

If you were relatively still while up on stage - probably the lower number is a safer bet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Playing in a band while standing for 3 hours doesnt burn 633 calories, does it?
    Cause apparently it was listed there, and i couldnt believe my eyes.
    So i checked other websites, but some said that standing only burns 253 calories for 3 hours.
    @_@...

MFP estimates the same calorie burn for me for strength training/weight lifting as for playing guitar standing. :huh:

Unless that guitar is really frickin' heavy and you're doing squats and overhead presses with it, the estimate is way off. :wink:
  • RainBol
    RainBol Posts: 8
    Options
    okay, thanks for your advice!
    i removed that from my diary anyway XD just found it puzzling. oh yeah, apparently fishing also burned a lot of calories O_O lol.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Everything burns calories, standing also :) It burns quite a lot infact, BUT most of it is already calculated in your eveyrday activity burn.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Or playing Dragonforce