Weight Loss without Exercise???

Options
Anyone else out there only able to lose by NOT exercising? I know that sounds crazy, but I have finally stopped exercising and am sticking to 1200 cals and I am finally losing after 5-6 weeks of gaining and losing the same 2 pounds. Just wondered if anyone else has run into this??? If I continue to lose this way, my plan to get to my first goal weight, then add exercise back in ...

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Anyone else out there only able to lose by NOT exercising? I know that sounds crazy, but I have finally stopped exercising and am sticking to 1200 cals and I am finally losing after 5-6 weeks of gaining and losing the same 2 pounds. Just wondered if anyone else has run into this??? If I continue to lose this way, ZI plan to get to my first goal weight, then add exercise back in to my plan...

Well the reason you werent losing while exer ise could have been two reasons; not eating enough or water retention if you just started to exercise.

If you went back to exercise eat another 300-400 calories and you would probably lose. Now statistically, people who exercise tend to keep off the weight longer than those who do not exercise.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i had the same issue. I was eating 1200 cals a day, eating back my exercise cals and was losing so slowly and more times up and down a few lbs... back and forth. I did that for 6 months and then figured i was only going to focus of my diet and then the lbs starting slipping off a lot faster... the 1st 6 months i lost about 10 lbs and since middle of may when i started to just focus on diet i have lost 8 lbs and that has been less then 3 months. I am now 3 lbs from my goal and i will then incorporate exercise in 3-4 days a week at that point.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Unless you are exercising an incredible amount, it doesn't actually contribute much to the quantity of weight loss. It contributes more to the quality of your weight loss (more fat lost, more muscle retained) and your overall fitness. But yes, it's possible to lose 100% through diet.

As long as you're at a calorie deficit, you will lose!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there only able to lose by NOT exercising?
    Yes indeed. One less variable to worry about.

The idea of exercising to lose weight is a fairly recent one, probably the last 40 or 50 years. Diet is the most important factor.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    That's basically what I've been doing. I love exercising, especially lifting, but I haven't been able to do much of it lately. As soon as my classes start again this Fall, I have a schedule all worked out, but I haven't really been to the gym regularly since May, and have had better results. Like somebody else said, though, I was probably not eating enough and not drinking enough water.
  • thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight without exercise. It came off very slow. Funny thing though...I started walking every day and increased my calories. The weight then seemed to melt off.
  • vernessie
    Options
    I have stopped exercising for the past 30 days. So, for me I have had inches loss, and like others posted my focus is on staying within 1300 calories of eating healthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was financially forced to eat only 1200 calories for about a week. I had no energy to exercise. I didn't lose any weight or inches that week. When I upped my calories back to 1800 and started exercising three times a week, I went back to losing.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Well I lose either way. Quicker with exercise. But I don't eat my exercise calories back typically. Right now over a span of 8 weeks I've lost 0.9 pounds a week avg. with little/no exercise.
  • lindsaykdesigns
    Options
    My question is --- Why? Why would you want to deprive your body of it? I hate hate haaaaate TONS of work out plans, but I finally found something that I like - hot yoga, kettlebells, and lindy hop (swing dance). Don't stop just because you can. You need to find something. Losing weight isn't the only purpose of exercise. Although I just caught that you are adding it back in eventually, so that's good :)