How much difference does one binge make?

Options
Hi everyone,
Tonight I had a huge dinner - huge because I have been limiting my portions. I felt so sick afterwards, my stomach was in agony!
I weigh myself weekly and was just wondering in the scheme of things how much difference you think one binge like that would make - or how to counter the effects!
Thanks so much

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    After a big binge I'd tend to see a higher number on the scale for the next 2-3 days from bloat/sodium and such, but in the long run it will not make a difference. Don't stress about it! :) And drinks lots of water.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    After a big binge I'd tend to see a higher number on the scale for the next 2-3 days from bloat/sodium and such, but in the long run it will not make a difference. Don't stress about it! :) And drinks lots of water.
    This is a perfect answer.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    On the scale, it might make a bit of a difference. If you've been restricting your intake a lot, then there is the simple fact that there will be more food in your system right now, and that has a weight. If you've had extra sodium, chances are you'll be retaining water. If you had extra carbs, they hold onto water too. So, you might be up a bit on the scale.

Have you gained fat? Depends how much you overate by, but probably not. 1 lb of fat takes roughly 3,500 calories over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is already a number bigger than your daily calorie goal. If you've logged accurately, then you're not even over your calorie goal, so you're still eating at a deficit. (Not sure how accurately you're logging as you seem to have a lot of "quick added calories".) Even if you've gone over your TDEE in this one case, it will likely be compensated for by the amount you've been undereating previously (again, if you're logging accurately).

Do you think maybe if you didn't restrict so much most of the time, you might not feel the need to binge? (Not that I would call having a big dinner a binge). You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight, especially with only 10 kg to lose.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Eat clean the rest of the week, and you will be fine. After an over eat, the main thing is to get right back on program. You will see less damage that way.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    After dieting for awhile, one binge can be good for your loss in the long run! After living on low cal for a bit, your body is going to begin adjusting to that lower intake.... it thinks that is all you have to live on and it tries to learn to hold onto fat on that amount, since that is what our bodies do... hold onto fat to keep us from starving to death.
    Giving it more calories now and then, shows the body that we can find and eat more food, which surprises it and keeps it from adjusting to and plateauing at the newer low cal intake.
    You might just see more loss because of it. (you can't make it a habit, but every now and then it sure won't hurt! and may help you in the long run)

I overate yesterday too. I weigh every day. My scales were down this morning, not up. Don't kick yourself for breaking your calorie limit once.
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too had a bad day of eating yesterday. I was up a couple of pounds this morning. I have been at this since Jan. 2012, and have my ups and downs but have lost 42 pounds thus far, and only of couple of pounds away from my goal. I have realized that this is a journey and an imperfect one at that. I just try not to focus too much when I "mess" up, and just get right back to doing what I know is right.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I had a massive binge on my anniversary last Monday including lots of cocktails, but I didn't worry about it and just carried on as normal after it and still managed to lose 1lb this week!
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! We will see what happens when I weigh in.... :)