Where are all the runners?

Options
I have been a member here for about two years, unfortunately not on a full time basis. I started running in May 2008, I could not run a block without stopping and now have completed several 5K's, a half marathon and just this past December a full marathon. It would be nice to share some insights into what we as runners go through from just starting, to motivating ourselves and to just sharing our highs and lows with other MFP runners.

One step at a time, one block at a time, one mile at a time: My mantra to get me through those tough times.

Replies

• shellykayj
    Options
    Hey, keep up the good work. I'm starting to run again. Made it 25 minutes this morning. I would like to do a half marathon this summer. I use to run 30-40 miles a week, but stopped about 5 years ago. Does anybody have suggestions for good running shoes in the snow and ice. I live in the mountains and running on the treadmill gets old.
  • shaunahorne
    shaunahorne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was much the same as you 10 years ago. I couldn't have run 5 minutes if I had tried when I began but very slowly worked into it and now I love running (when it's not freezing outside!). I especially love trail running. I someday hope to run a trail marathon! Good for you on your success!
  • 2bthinagain
    Options
    I have been a member here for about two years, unfortunately not on a full time basis. I started running in May 2008, I could not run a block without stopping and now have completed several 5K's, a half marathon and just this past December a full marathon. It would be nice to share some insights into what we as runners go through from just starting, to motivating ourselves and to just sharing our highs and lows with other MFP runners.

One step at a time, one block at a time, one mile at a time: My mantra to get me through those tough times.

I ran track when i was in HS, then after graduation when i didnt' go to college and continue Running I got out of shape. Just recently have i started running 2-3 miles a day. I hope to eventually work myself back up to 5 miles a day..
    It is taking a toll on my knees to run as far and as hard as i am pushing myself to right now. So for the next week i am pacing my self, but still gaining a half a mile a night.
    Good Luck to you and happy for you.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There are several running groups in this Fitness Fourm. I'm in the "wanna-be runner" group, just look for it. It's pretty active, all of us are either start from scratch runner's or runner's who are trying to get back into the swing of things.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    There is a really great group of runners here.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73008-mfp-runner-s-club?page=20#posts-1030291 Feel free to join in!

I'm currently training for a May marathon!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    just started back running as well. My husband and I are planning to run the 5k in February in Myrtle Beach. I use to run alot but fell off after getting married so this is pretty important to me. It will be our 1st 5K and we will be doing it together...I love running!!
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey, keep up the good work. I'm starting to run again. Made it 25 minutes this morning. I would like to do a half marathon this summer. I use to run 30-40 miles a week, but stopped about 5 years ago. Does anybody have suggestions for good running shoes in the snow and ice. I live in the mountains and running on the treadmill gets old.

I'm not sure about running shoes, but I used to run when I was living in Iowa and Minnesota and Yak-Trax are definitely a big help in the winter! I just moved out to Colorado and am about to take up running again after a tendon strain and am putting yak-trax on my list right after a nice pair of running shoes!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I know what you mean - I'm investigating snow shoeing as an option - A friend of mine lives in the Lake Tahoe area and recommended www.atlassnowshoes.com. They even market snow shoes for running. Another options is IceSpikes you screw them into your shoes if you are running on packed snow or ice.
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    Oops, I feel like I should probably specify what yaktrax are in case anyone is interested. They are just a stabilizer that you slip onto your shoe when you run and can take off again right after.

http://www.yaktrax.com/