Why did I gain weight???

Options
I am SO discouraged! I've been working out more & I'm gaining weight! Before anyone asks if it has to do with my period, it doesn't. I don't get them anymore. This is really frustrating because my weight loss was going so well & now this. What went wrong & how can I fix it? I couldn't have plateaued already. I also don't see where I have lost 13 pounds even. My clothes aren't any looser & I don't look any different. I need some weight loss advice! HELP!!!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am SO discouraged! I've been working out more & I'm gaining weight! Before anyone asks if it has to do with my period, it doesn't. I don't get them anymore. This is really frustrating because my weight loss was going so well & now this. What went wrong & how can I fix it? I couldn't have plateaued already. I also don't see where I have lost 13 pounds even. My clothes aren't any looser & I don't look any different. I need some weight loss advice! HELP!!!

Can you please provide some detail? First of all, over what course of time did you gain the weight and how much did you gain?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you've been working out more, it could be simply water retention as your body is holding on to water to be able to repair muscles.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged; that never helps anything! Truth of the matter is that working out more will often result in temporary weight gain. The sudden increase in unfamiliar activity will cause your muscles to retain water in an effort to protect themselves and heal up. This means that even if you lose fat from the increased activity, it may be masked by the water retention and swollen muscles. But just because you can't see the improvements right now doesn't mean they aren't actually happening.

The best thing you can do is keep going. Remember that your body doesn't respond quickly or in response to a few new changes, but these healthier habits will build up over time and you will see a cumulative effect. One thing that I tell myself is, "If I live like a healthy person, I will eventually be one. It can't not happen." And I've actually been dealing with the same thing as you are recently; I started a new workout program just a little over a week ago and have seen an increase on the scale. But I know that it's just temporary and that the exercise will give me great benefits in the long run. Just keep going; you'll thank yourself later.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Water weight is a horrible thing to help make you think your not making progress. I've gained like 7 lbs within the last week. Yep. In my case its my period, but also I've been eating too much salt the last couple of days and not having the water I should have.

Have you been eating any differently...even just sodium wise?

Also, working out more can cause the increase especially if your building muscle. I'm trying to make the scale my friend and not my hated enemy.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It's a hard thing to not get discouraged when you don't see the losses. Weight loss however is not linear... it goes down, it stays the same and sometimes it goes up.

It could be what you are eating, too much sodium for example, not drinking enough water, eating too much processed foods. It could be the weather (sometimes the weather makes people retain water).. as others have mentioned it could be muscles holding onto water to repair themselves.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    open diary so we can advise:smile:
  • l_beakley
    Options
    According to my scale it's 2 pound weight gain since YESTERDAY! I weigh/measure everything I eat, I exercise at least 30 minutes a day usually 40 minutes or more, I don't eat fast food, I'm vegan & I don't eat much processed food. I did have to get up 4 times last night to use the bathroom & that has never happened before. I'm just so frustrated! I'm trying so hard not to go by a number on a scale but after losing 13 pounds I see no difference in my clothes or anything so I'm looking at the number for assurance that I'm doing things right.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 30lbs last year eating carefully and jogging. She was amazed that the weight stayed off over the winter even though she wasn't jogging. When she started jogging again she went up 5lbs. Combo of a little extra muscle and her body retaining water to heal said muscle.
  • LisaGore1
    Options
    Try measuring it helps you realize how much your efforts are showing. I didnt lose any pounds this month but lost 5.5 inches overall its not what the numbers on the scale that you should be watching. It doesnt define who you are and what you've accomplished just working out in its self will help you feel better and I'm sure you will reek the benefits in that soon! keep at it dont give up. Good Luck
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    According to my scale it's 2 pound weight gain since YESTERDAY! I weigh/measure everything I eat, I exercise at least 30 minutes a day usually 40 minutes or more, I don't eat fast food, I'm vegan & I don't eat much processed food. I did have to get up 4 times last night to use the bathroom & that has never happened before. I'm just so frustrated! I'm trying so hard not to go by a number on a scale but after losing 13 pounds I see no difference in my clothes or anything so I'm looking at the number for assurance that I'm doing things right.
    I'm one of those people who weighs every day. But many people don't do it for exactly the reason you're describing. If you're going to step on the scale every day, you cannot put much meaning into those numbers. Daily fluctuations represent nothing more than the weight of water and of the food you take in. You simply cannot gain two pounds of fat overnight. Remember that you don't just want to lose "weight," you really want to lose excess fat (otherwise lopping off a leg would be a great victory). What you are seeing is nothing more than water retention. If it saps your motivation, you might be better off locking that scale up and checking your weight less frequently.

Also, clothes may not be the best measure either. One thing I discovered is that I was cramming myself into my clothes at my heaviest weight (insistent that I would not get any bigger). The first 20 pounds or so I lost, I realized that I just fit comfortably into the clothes I was already used to wearing (whereas they were painful to wear all day before). After that, I started dropping the sizes. You just have to keep at it.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm up 6lbs. What!?! :noway:
    I've been exercising more. And thought I was doing better on my diet.
    Planning on changing up my diet. Hope that helps with the scale.
    I hope for both of us its just water retention and we'll have a big loss.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Day to day my weight varies up to 5lbs, ESPESIALLY after exercise. I only track my weight weekly.

Take measurements and Pictures. I was amazed how much I could see in pictures after 8 lbs.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged; that never helps anything! Truth of the matter is that working out more will often result in temporary weight gain. The sudden increase in unfamiliar activity will cause your muscles to retain water in an effort to protect themselves and heal up. This means that even if you lose fat from the increased activity, it may be masked by the water retention and swollen muscles. But just because you can't see the improvements right now doesn't mean they aren't actually happening.

The best thing you can do is keep going. Remember that your body doesn't respond quickly or in response to a few new changes, but these healthier habits will build up over time and you will see a cumulative effect. One thing that I tell myself is, "If I live like a healthy person, I will eventually be one. It can't not happen." And I've actually been dealing with the same thing as you are recently; I started a new workout program just a little over a week ago and have seen an increase on the scale. But I know that it's just temporary and that the exercise will give me great benefits in the long run. Just keep going; you'll thank yourself later.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exact same thing has been happening with me, massive calorie deficit, 6-8 hours exercise a week mix of hard cardio and strength and nothing but gain. It is water, Nothing else it can possible be, lots of people here are in the same boat but if you stick with it things have to change! Dont give up now think of the great things you're doing for you and your body!
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    Don't weight daily! Our weight changes daily for a lot of reasons. Weigh once a week... weighing daily causes people to freak out over gains (not all of them). You will see gains, especially if you weight daily.

Also, the 13lbs may of been equally spread over your body and therefore you don't notice any changes. You won't always see changes right away (some people it can take 20 plus lbs to see a difference).

Take pictures and take them again once a month (wearing close to the same clothing) that way you will be able to see where you lost it from. When the weight loss is on you you don't see it all the time as you look at yourself every day. Side by side pictures show the losses better than the mirror.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The scale is not a definitive measure of progress. If you are letting the scale ultimately determine your motivation factor you should stay away from it and just keep working. A Plateau is around a month or longer. I've been sticking at the same weight for a good month now after losing about 40 pounds. Im fine with it because I notice huge changes and im just gonna keep working off that. Put the scale away and just do work!
  • l_beakley
    Options
    Sorry everyone, I thought my diary was public already! I just fixed that :) Yesterday was perfect, all final numbers in the green. Just looking back myself & my daily fat seems to be a problem, until yesterday anyway. All of my numbers fall perfect except that one. Could be where the problem is! Thank you for all of the tips, support & forcing me to look at myself for the answer. I think you guys helped me find it. :flowerforyou:
  • now_or_never12
    Options
    I would add sodium to your list to track on your diary.

There are a few things you are eating that are high in sodium. The salsa for example.

Also, I don't see many fresh veggies in your diary.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Relax I'm sure you did not eat over 7000 calories in one day to gain 2 lbs overnight. It is all water weight - check out your sodium levels and try to increase your water intake to flush it all out. 1oz per 1lb body weight is a good target. Another thing to consider is how regular you are ;-} have you had you dump before you weighed? Do you weigh at the same time each day? Your weight can fluctuate as much as 5lb a day depending on time of day - the weight of food and beverages we eat and drink will show until they are eliminated!

Also if you are stuck check out this thread to see if you have your calories set correctly - the MFB calculator is not the best and will give you a restriction that will give you an initial loss but will cause a plateau after the initial loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Edit: :Just saw your diary if you have 100 to loose then you daily calorie target is probably way low - check out the link above, get the tape measure out -calculate you %BF and use the calculator to see what your intake should be for sustained safe waight loss.
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try to get your sodium under 2k the best you can and that should help turn you around.
  • l_beakley
    Options
    Ok, I just added the sodium tracker. I actually have low blood pressure because I don't eat salty foods & I never add salt to my food. I have space to add one more thing to the diary. Any suggestions or am I ok with what's there?