help?

I just joined myfitnesspal a few days ago. After putting my info into my profile, it said my calories per day should be 1,200. I am having a very difficult time with this. I feel like I'm hungry most of the time even on the days I've been over on the 1,200 calories by 200 or so (and I also have been consistently over on carbs). Will I eventually adjust & not feel hungry so much? Or, should I increase my total calories some?:smile:

Replies

• calculusgeek
    calculusgeek Posts: 3 Member
    I was having that problem too. I was able to do it for a few days then I'd be so hungry I would way overeat and totally wipe out everything I'd managed the previous days. Try setting your weight lost per week to less.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Hi, the calorie targets on MFB can be a bit off check out this thread - it should be required reading for all newbies - good info on how to set up you targets.
  • I think it partially depends on how much weight you have to lose and how quickly you want to lose it. My goal is to lose 27 pounds and I have been on MFP was 30 days and have lost 9 pounds staying at about 1,200 calories. I do a cheat day once a week, usually on the weekend. Maybe look at your food diary to see what kinds of foods you are eating to see if you can adjust. Good luck to you!
  • mocchioni
    mocchioni Posts: 63 Member
    MFP can be off a little. I was hungry the first week on my 1620 a day. I started at 255lbs with a height of 5'7".
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    I have a lot to lose, have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, and am short... and mfp gave me more than 1200 calories to work with even with a goal of losing 2lbs a week. I'm surprised that mfp gave you such a low number, and wonder what would have caused mfp to put you at 1200.
  • Tml076
    Tml076 Posts: 4
    try adding a salad into your day with vinegar also an apple it will add to your feeling of fullness and you wont feel so hungry
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    1200 is crazy. I did that for awhile, exercising more to eat more and then I decided to eat more to weigh less!!! You can raise your activity level to increase calories or just do it manually. Check out groups like "Feed the Machine" And "Eat more to weigh less" The book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" is a very educational read. Even if you don't want to lift yet, read it. Lots of nutritional info in it!
  • I think it depends on what you're eating. Are you eating "empty calories?" There are some things I eat that every day that actually help me to stay satisfied are:
    2 dairy servings a day
    4-6 fruit and veggie servings a day (not 4-6 of each, but 4-6 total.)
    2-3 servings of lean protein
    2 servings of healthy fat
    whole grains and high fiber whenever possible (bread, rice, pasta)

My most favorite evening snack is "ice cream" made with a frozen banana and a 1/2 cup skim milk and a 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder. I mix all ingredients in a my little Ninja chopper and it makes "ice cream". Seriously delicious and it's like so much like soft serve ice cream you won't know the difference. And not only am I not eating straight up junk and empty calories, I'm getting in 1/2 a dairy serving and a fruit serving in just one snack. I've heard people using a Magic Bullet or Vitamix to make this too.

Another healthy snack is boiled eggs. I scoop out the yolks and eat only the white (very low calories!). Pair that with a piece of fruit and maybe a piece of low fat cheese. Yummy and filling!
  • terimjohnson
    terimjohnson Posts: 6 Member
    I'm using myfitnesspal along with a doctor supervised program-they set my calories at 1400 per day. which they based on my resting metabolic rate. When you exercise, myfitnesspal gives you "extra" calories-however, my doctor's program told me not to use the "extras" if I wanted to lose weight faster. I've taken their advice, never use the extras, and I'm down 16 1/2 lbs since June 9th. Hope this helps.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    okay first go here http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html find your TDEE. Then subtract about 600 calories from that. Go to goal section on MFP and change your calorie intake to that. I also changed my carb intake to 40% and fat 30% and protein 30%.

I eat 1600 a day and more on exerciese days and have steadily lost 2-4lbs a week. I also eat like 6 200-300 calorie meals and try to get like 20 gm protein in each. This has greatly decreased my hunger. In fact I am never hungry.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    I'm using myfitnesspal along with a doctor supervised program-they set my calories at 1400 per day. which they based on my resting metabolic rate. When you exercise, myfitnesspal gives you "extra" calories-however, my doctor's program told me not to use the "extras" if I wanted to lose weight faster. I've taken their advice, never use the extras, and I'm down 16 1/2 lbs since June 9th. Hope this helps.

It is a matter of finding what works for you. If I don't eat my exercise calories I stall the weight loss. The body is a machine, if you don't fuel it properly it won't burn the fat. But it's an awesome moment when you discover what does work best for you!! Kudos to you for taking the docs advice!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    This is my third time to loose 35 - 40 lbs. First two times I used JC but and lost the weight in 4-5 months but 1) I hate prepacked food more and more as it does not give me enough flexibility and 2) I was hungry and did not feel satisfied at 1200 Kcal/day. I "joined" MFP a long time ago but never really used it until I hit 160 lbs again this year. Since 7/20/12 tracking food/exercise and with same goal as you (1200 Kcal) now lost a little over 7 lbs. Still have a way to go but what really really helps me to feel satisfied with my "diet" is eating more protein than suggested by MFP.........and that has always worked for me. I was a bit hungry for the first few days but ate hardboiled eggs and drank water for a snack and then waited a half hour to see if I felt hungry. Worked for me, now I have days where I easly stay at 1200 Kcal and I only once ate a portion of my exercise calories. Usually I manage to stay a bit under my "carb limit" but instead of 50-55 gm protein I mostly eat 65-80. At this point I have not really started any real exercise, I do walk (brisk, with dog) 30-45 min daily and maybe a little more on weekends. Don't know if this would work for you but it has done 'the trick' for me three times over the last 20 years :). I also stay away from processed food as much as possible, I am vegetarian and eat a lot of fruit, vegetables and whole grain but unfortunately love ice cream, carrot cake and good chocolate. I try to eat those in moderation but will not cut out anything. :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I Was hungry when I first started on 1200 cals a day. My body got used to eating that amount of calories and now there are days where I struggle to eat that amount lol
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    with only 12 lbs to lose you should set the weight loss rate slower, this will give you more cals and is much better four you.