Switch up exercise?

Options
So I am not big on running and what not and time is at the premium for me. Typically I ride a stationary bike for about 30 min so I can burn off close to 500 calories. But my thinking was will I continue to burn those calories if I do the bike everyday? And if I would. change it up what "quick" exercise would burn similar calories? Any ideas would be helpful.

Replies

• DebbieDee2012
    Options
    How about hitting the rapids down the nearest river. I burned over 1000 calories today going down the Red River with my kids. Fighting the current took up most of the two hours I was on that river. Man was my neck muscles killing me, but it was all worth it! We went to Subway afterwards to eat a healthy dinner together that I did not have to make myself, as we mostly eat home cooked meals at home. This was a treat! It was a most special day for me to spend time with my kids and burn all those calories! What a high! Feeling good right now...really good...
  • DebbieDee2012
    Options
    Here is the link to the video I made of my adventure on the Red River in which I burned over 1000 calories in just two hours...the time just flew by!

http://youtu.be/eXh9TnWwlsE
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    So I am not big on running and what not and time is at the premium for me. Typically I ride a stationary bike for about 30 min so I can burn off close to 500 calories. But my thinking was will I continue to burn those calories if I do the bike everyday? And if I would. change it up what "quick" exercise would burn similar calories? Any ideas would be helpful.

as you lose weight you're going to burn less calories anyway.

my advice is to not look at exercise as simply a way to burn calories. weight loss ifs going to be more a factor of of your diet. as long as you're doing something active most days a week for at least an hour then dont even worry about how many calories you do or dont burn
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As you improve your physical condition and your body adapts to the exercise, you will burn less calories because your body becomes more efficient at it. That's where progression comes in - ride at a higher resistance than you've been riding at and your body will again have to adapt/improve. Progression is a principle in any exercise regimen - as your body adapts to the load, you increase the load in some way (more resistance, more time/distance, etc.) to force the body to adapt again. You can change exercises if you want to, but there's no need to do so.

Other similar cardio exercises would be the treadmill, an elliptical trainer, HIIT workouts, etc. If you don't like running, you could do HIIT workouts on the bike - warm up, then sprint hard 30 seconds, rest 60 seconds, sprint 30 seconds, rest 60 seconds, etc. As your body adapts, change the intensity of your sprints and/or the interval lengths (sprint 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, sprint 30 seconds, rest 15 seconds, etc.) to introduce progression.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say to do some interval training, even if you stay with the bike.

Also try to do some weight lifting! It took me a while to understand.this: If you build muscle with weights, you may not burn as much DURING the exercise but you will build muscle. Muscle requires more ongoing energy to exist than fat, so you will effectively burn MORE throughout normal daily activities if you increase your muscle mass. Hope I understood and explained that right, if I didn't i expect someone will correct or clarify for you!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    ...Also try to do some weight lifting! It took me a while to understand.this: If you build muscle with weights, you may not burn as much DURING the exercise but you will build muscle. Muscle requires more ongoing energy to exist than fat, so you will effectively burn MORE throughout normal daily activities if you increase your muscle mass. Hope I understood and explained that right, if I didn't i expect someone will correct or clarify for you!
    It's *very* difficult to build muscle while in a caloric deficit, but weight training is highly beneficial anyway. When you lose weight, you lose both fat and lean body mass (i.e., muscle). Weight training and adequate protein intake will help preserve your lean body mass so more of your weight loss comes from fat. It also has other benefits such as maintaining bone density, strengthening both the muscles and connective tissue, etc.

If I were given the choice of doing ONLY cardio or ONLY weight training, I'd choose weight training every time. Better yet is a mixture of both - but the cardio primarily for the cardiovascular health benefits, not the weight loss benefits.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Knew someone could explain that better than me. I don't completely understand it, but your explanation makes a lot of sense, Anvilhead. Thanks!
  • nrbromert
    nrbromert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. I didn't think about changing up and doing intervals. That would be something easy I could do. By "resting" are we talking about just sitting there or just go back to normal pedaling?

I am consistently eating less than my allotted calories for the day so I am not to worried about exercising to have extra calories but at the same time it gives me peace of mind knowing that i burned some so I don't have to be as diligent at counting.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    That makes sense. I didn't think about changing up and doing intervals. That would be something easy I could do. By "resting" are we talking about just sitting there or just go back to normal pedaling?
    The latter. Just slow down to a pace that allows you to recover a bit before the next interval.