So fed up of dieting!

Options
I have been dieting ('lifestyle changing') for about 4 months I have lost nearly 2 stone. At current I weigh 9 stone 11lbs and at 5ft3 it is a healthy bmi but I want to get down to about 8 stone 7lbs but lately I have just been so fed up of constantly counting calories and always having to plan what I am eating. Food is not even food any more it is just a number and as soon as I eat a meal I am constantly thinking about when and what I am eating next. It is so irritating! I eat 1200 calories a day and exercise a few times a week but I plan to do it more now that my summer job is over. Is 1200 a day too little? Has anyone else experienced this feeling and how did you get through it?

Replies

• CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I personally think 1200 is too little. I would be hungry. I am most comfortable when I eat 1500-1600 a day.

As for the rest of it, well it sucks but yeah, if most of us want to keep the weight off for life, then we will be counting calories for the rest of our lives. That's just the way it is. I've accepted it. I have this app on my phone, I plan my meals and I log everything. When I don't the weight starts to creep back. BUT....I'd rather do that than be fat....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Yup, felt like that for a good couple of years, around the same height/size and couldnt shift anything else. I was over exercising and undereating

I finally decided to screw it, and start lifting to try and change my body composition instead. That was 11 weeks ago, last time I checked I had lost 11lbs (the was around a month ago). I also decided to eat paleo/clean. I no longer count calories, I just eat well, and dont worry about it. Do what works for you, Im happier no longer worrying whether I should eat something. I have a drink on weekends, a dessert if I want it, but still try to keep as clean as possible :)
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time for a break? Take a week or two, and don't log everything. Make healthy choices, but don't obsess over logging every calorie. After 4 months of logging your calories, you should have a better handle on what a 'good' amount of food for you is.

Another option is to change your settings and eat at maintenance for awhile. Sometimes a week or two at maintenance is a great way to reinvigorate you and motivate you for that final push for your goal. I guess it depends whether you're feeling burnt out from logging everything, or you're just tired of trying to hit that 1200 calorie goal.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with trying to change terminology without giving just as much effort to explain what it means; "lifestyle change" has just become code for "dieting" so that people don't have to hear lectures about how bad crash diets are.

Stop thinking of "lifestyle change" as "what I do to lose weight." The way I think of it is, "If I were already a healthy person, what would I be doing?" Then I do that. So I figured that if I were at my goal weight and fitness levels, I should swap out my diet of Doritos, fast food, and soda for real food I prepare myself. So I did. Lost weight. I figured that I should exercise if I want to be in shape, so I started doing that (though it's been more difficult to implement). Saw results.

Consider weight loss an effect of what you do rather than the primary goal. Focus on the actual lifestyle changes rather than simply thinking of it as a buzzword.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It was when I got those feelings that I gave up in the past. Try eating more if you think it will help.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Consider weight loss an effect of what you do rather than the primary goal.

YES! If I constantly thought about my weight as the primary goal, I'd be so frustrated because, lets face it, it never comes off as fast as we want it to! But when I plan a meal and spend time thinking about the energy it will give me, the way getting the right amount of nutrients will sustain me, and how much better I feel when I put less food in my belly, it motivates me to keep doing it. For me at least, THOSE results come so much faster, they are easier to feel on a daily basis, and I don't need for the scale or my clothing size to catch up with my actions to feel good. Of course, I do look forward to a healthier weight for a lot of reasons, but, I figure if I concentrate on the other parts, the weight loss will follow.

To the OP, I'm not a health or nutrition expert, but 1200 does seem too low for most people (in fact, as you probably know, it's the lowest mfp will let you eat without scolding you a little!)
  • CallyBeth08
    CallyBeth08 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Then don't "diet" anymore. You shouldn't be "dieting" anyhow. You should be changing the way you view foods, and the effects they have on your body. Don't count calories, just start making healthy choices. you wont lose as fast, but over time, you will lose a significant amount. When you go out to eat, choose a water instead of soda, or a sweet drink, instead of fries, get a side salad. If you are celebrating and there's cake, eat the cake, but not the icing. Just the little changes. Just make sure you're eating good calories, and not empty calories, and you should feel way better about yourself.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    So take a break from logging, take a break from planning and just do. Continue to make your healthy choices but stop giving it so much thought. You know now that a banana is going to be healthier than a piece of cake, for example, without having to look up the calories. Take what you've learned so far and see how it works in the 'real world'.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Food is not even food any more it is just a number and as soon as I eat a meal I am constantly thinking about when and what I am eating next.
    Food being just a number is messed up thinking. Food is meant to be enjoyed. If you obsess about the numbers you compromise the enjoyment of the meal.

That said, I went through the same experience of thinking about what I'm eating next. To some extent I still think about food far too often. Instead of trying to avoid thinking about it, I embrace it and have started honing my cooking skills. Learning to cook new things that are both healthy and delicious. I've found that I enjoy the process and I enjoy the meals. Meal time isn't something that should be feared. I enjoy my meals, as does my wife.
  • francesca_c123456789
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your answers!!! they have really helped me! lost 2lb today too! yay