Men's Fitness Article: Eat 2x Body Weight in Carbs

Options
I was reading this article last night and I wanted to get some input. I do try to eat a gram of protein for each pound body weight. What level carbs should I be eating? This article suggested 550 grams as suggested in this article (275 @ 6'5") That just doesn't seem right.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I was reading this article last night and I wanted to get some input. I do try to eat a gram of protein for each pound body weight. What level carbs should I be eating? This article suggested 550 grams as suggested in this article (275 @ 6'5") That just doesn't seem right.

I wouldn't set carbs in terms of grams per pound. I would fix protein and fat minimums and I would fill the remainder of your calories to personal preference and training needs.

See here, disregard article you just read. That sounds sort of douchey of me, but oh well, I mean it:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set a bit higher than my weight - 135 g carbs and I'm 128 lbs. I think that twice the ammongh would be way to much unless someone is wroorking out like crazy.

Or maybe it wasn't 2 g per pound but 2 g per kilogram? That would make sense. If I am 58 kg than 118 g of carbs would be more or less fine. Are you sure the article said 2g per 1 lb not 2 g per 1 kg?
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I wouldn't set carbs in terms of grams per pound. I would fix protein and fat minimums and I would fill the remainder of your calories to personal preference and training needs.

See here, disregard article you just read. That sounds sort of douchey of me, but oh well, I mean it:

I think of carbs as a percentage of calories rather than 1 gram per pound etc. At some point people in bodybuilding would referring to ever per pound but now a days its more about percentages. I for example do 60/ 25/ 10 as my main focus.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I agree here completely. The whole "per a pound" thing is just a way of over simplifying a more complex thought to make it easier for the average person to follow without any thought
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Personally I think if I ate that many carbs I would double or even triple my weight unless I was working out 3 hours a day minimum.

I shoot for .8-1g protein in body weight, 25% of my calorie goal in good fat, and leave the remainder for low glycemic complex carbs. That gives me a range of 37-109 carbs a day.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Personally I think if I ate that many carbs I would double or even triple my weight unless I was working out 3 hours a day minimum.

I shoot for .8-1g protein in body weight, 25% of my calorie goal in good fat, and leave the remainder for low glycemic complex carbs. That gives me a range of 37-109 carbs a day.

^^^This^^^
    I have mine set on percentages around 30/30/40 : 30 protein, 30 fats, 40 carbs
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

As far as credibility, I put Men's Fitness right up there with Dr. Oz. A new fad diet or "miracle body fat solution" every issue. Heavy on the broscience and light on the truth.