I dont want to make two different meals

Options
Ok. So i am starting to run into a problem mainly for dinner...i am trying to lose weight, but my husband is trying to gain weight...i dont want to have to make two different meals so he gets all the calories he needs, but i dont get all of the calories...does anyone have any suggestions? also same goes for the type of snacks we have in the house...i try and stay under 100 calories for snacks...i'm tired of having to cook two different meals and buy more food bc we aren't eating the same snacks..
help please!

Replies

• gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat. How about making a healthy dish for both of you and then adding a sidedish for your hubby like mac and cheese or maybe some butter over his veggies while you take yours out bevore or maybe he gets the sandwich with majo and you have one with low cal salad dressing.....same with the snacks, you get the lowfat popcorn and add extra butter to his. Hope this helps
  • sgsnow79
    sgsnow79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I often come across the same problem with my husband. While he isn't trying to GAIN weight, he isn't trying to lose it either, so my lean/light meals were leaving him hungry! I've started to add a side dish, typically a carb, to our meals. For example, we'll have grilled chicken, a vegetable, and he'll add a cheesy pasta or baked potato loaded with rich fixings. It keeps him from feeling deprived and we can still eat together. The real trick? Finding things that my 21 month old will eat, too!
    Good Luck!
  • laurajg
    Options
    I have a similar issue. I generally make the same food for my self, and then skip any sauces, cheeses or gravies. I will make extra veggies for me, load my plate and then put the butter or cheese on after for everyone else. I usually make a pasta for everyone, but I don't even touch it. I also put bread and butter on the table for everyone else, but again, I skip it. We always have salad and everyone puts on their own dressing. We also always have a fresh fruit, but it is generally for my desert.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Well, my thought would be if your trying to lose, and he's trying to gain... your portion sizes should be different? Otherwise, he should still be eating healthy items, he can just eat more... for instance, nuts and cheese are both healthy, but have higher calories and fat. Crackers.. yada yada yada, lol. My husband is also trying to gain weight... I make healthy meals but he gets a portion size nearly twice mine, I pair mine with a small salad or some veggies. If I buy an ice cream I get Edy's frozen yogurt 1/2 cup is usually 120 to 150 calories. Chips.. we buy sunchips and baked.. or just crackers (although sometiems crackers are worse nutrition wise) Believe it or not.. Chili can be very low in calories and is very filling... and I have not found a man who doesnt love it.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=871889

Here is the latest chili I made, holy flavor! This is also a great website for meal ideas of all kinds, also TasteofHome.com Good luck! Also check out the Recipe Forum.
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    Options
    I agree with everyone's advice. You both want to be eating healthy, regardless of the goal. I cook one meal in my household. Same thing goes for snacks. I buy what I think is healthy, but if they want something else they need to write it on the list, not just tell me. I have too many things to remember already. Sometimes I come from the supermarket and my husband says "you didn't get _____", I reply "did you write it on the list?". It's worked so far.
  • teebear1985
    teebear1985 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you out but when my brother had to gain weight for football my mom didn't want to fix extra stuff for him either so she made him supplement his meals with Ensure plus. It is a supplement shake that will add healthy calories to his diet and all he has to do is pull it out of the fridge. They don't taste too bad and come in lots of flavors. Also the store brands are just as good and less expensive. Anyway, that worked with our family. Good luck.
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    i agree whole heartedly, look at the body builders at the gym, they want to gain mass as well but they sure dont want to gain fat. they eat large amounts of very healthy foods. thier diet consists of lean meats, brown rice, pasta, egg whites, veggies. my family eats what i cook, unless we go to a restaurant and then they can eat what they want. i dont make them choose healthy there.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Definitely agree. Your husband wants to gain weight, I'm sure he wants to gain muscle, not fat? So essentially you both need to eat the same foods, you just less of them and him more. My husband is trying to do the same.. Things that I have for snacks are fruit, special k, veggies, yogurt, nuts, cheese...my hubby eats the same things, just more of them.
  • ncocci989
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the good ideas! i def need to try to get him to eat more tho! he doesnt eat much in a sitting like most men...it drives me nuts how he can eat what ever he wants and not gain a single pound!
    thanks again! :)