Not losing anymore?

Options
When I started this diet I was at around 175 I'm guessing. I had a doctors appointment after the fact (I started on the 15th of July, and got weighed at the doctors on 7/25) and I weighed 171. Then it slowly dropped and I was at 164 on the 5th of this month. Now it's been going up and down and I've been floating around 166-167. Sometimes I'm 168, sometimes I'm 165. Wtf is happening! I haven't cheated (up until last night.. i'll get to that later...) and I don't know why I'm not losing anymore. I know I shouldn' t be stepping on the scale every day but I can't help it. BUT if I go by weighing myself every week, then I weighed 164 last Sunday and today the scale said 167.

I'm getting really bummed out. I know it's just one week of my weight being crazy but I've been only good. I guess I need to be more strict with what I eat? I don't know. And last night I drank a little and ate half a plate of nachos (big mistake. I ate 1800 calories yesterday.... F word...) But yeah. Anyone have this happen to them? This weight craziness? Help :(

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    The scale is just a tool and it can't always tell you that you lost weight because there are so many factors in your body that can affect your weight on any given day; sometimes up to five pounds.

Weighing everyday, and then being disappointed everyday, is a good way to sabotage yourself. Perhaps that's what happened last night... Sometimes, if weight loss is slow, or if you want to break your addiction to the magic number on the scale, you could try going one month between weigh ins. Then, if you are following your healthy eating plan, you will ALWAYS see a good result. It is really important to not let the scale dictate your success; most of us have struggled with this for sure.

Some people on here are referring to NSV, non scale victories. Clothes get looser, measurements get smaller, but the scale doesn't necessarily show the loss. This is particularly common with people who are working out and building muscle.

Just my opinion.... :smile:
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Google "why the scale lies"
  • PrincessRuto
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I've been reading articles since I posted this and I know it's probably just water weight and I know for a fact I've been eating too much sodium (we're broke and I've been eating hamburger helper and crap a couple days this week.. ugh) But I know I'm just freaking out over something small that happens to everyone. The last night thing was just a treat for myself I guess? I've been on this diet for a month and I hadn't eaten anything that I REALLY wanted to eat. So I said screw it. I do regret it now, but what's done is done. I probably wont cheat like that for a very long time though...

anyway, I'm putting the scale away and only weighing myself once a week. Doing this every day is just really bumming me out. Thanks again. :)
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thank you lh1626 - I did that google and it was interesting reading. Nice to have some theories at times to make us relax over things.
  • lrcross
    lrcross Posts: 42
    Options
    ...really study the numbers, cals in, burned cal, how many cals you are suppose to eat daily, and your BMR. It is all about the numbers, at least, this is what I am discovering. I have been in two VERY difficult plateaus where I was losing inches and no pounds...even being a water drinker and working out 6 days/week. I was not giving my body enough cals (energy), so my body was at equilibrium. It is frustrating as well as a "downer" when you know you are doing the right thing. But I was patient and am still working hard...the scale is moving again.

Plan your meals, even if you have to eat hamburger helper, as a couple of veggie to it, research-research-resarch your numbers (I can't stress that enough)...what works for others (restricting cals, food, etc) may not be the answer for you. Dieting is not one-size-fits-all.

Hope this encourages you...

Much success!
  • PrincessRuto
    Options
    Thanks new posters. Everyone on this site is so sweet! It's really comforting as this is the first diet that I've really stuck to and i need all the support I can get! <3