Do hot flashes count?

Options
As a menopausal woman, I experience a lot of hot flashes. While they are intensely uncomfortable for the three minutes or so that they endure, it occurred to me that when your body heats up and you sweat that much, you must be burning calories. Does anyone know if hot flashes in fact raise your metabolism for that short period, if they burn a few extra calories, or if the amount is so niggling that it’s not worth worrying about? I’m more curious than anything.

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the "amount so niggling it's not worth worrying about." And I hope they leave you alone soon!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I'd go with the "amount so niggling it's not worth worrying about." And I hope they leave you alone soon!

This, but every opportunity you get, steam up your bathroom to a boiling temperature, and when you've had your hot flash, you can then head to the steam room and imagine you've had a mini spa session!:wink:

(I started having these in the last 18 months, thankfully still infrequent along with all the other symptoms)
  • masirahmo
    masirahmo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wish - I'd look like Kate Moss!! :blushing:
  • sukaber
    sukaber Posts: 7
    Options
    Having the same problem myself I'd go with the idea it will lose you calories... at least that way it makes them NEARLY worth it!!
  • IleanaMargot
    IleanaMargot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't think so. I've been taking Estroven (a natural reliever) to control my hot flashes and other symptoms...very helpful!