Can't notice a difference

Options
I have lost 18 lbs so far, but I don't notice a difference. I am somewhat frustrated.

Replies

• ZenAmante
    ZenAmante Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    dont feel to bad i couldnt see a diffrence till i lost about 40 lbs
  • mrsb102
    mrsb102 Posts: 16
    Options
    Don't be discouraged... You will see it when you least expect it! :) Do your clothes feel looser at all?
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I was in the same place.... til yesterday! I measured myself, and altho I really really wanted to see inches lost on the hips and thighs.... nope. BUT... turns out I lost 3 inches on my waist!! Woooo hoooo!!!! I'm pretty happy about that. It also explains why my pants don't fit differently, since I don't wear jeans at my waist. So I WAS discouraged.... even tho the scale was moving.... slowly.

Now, I am motivated even more so!!!

Take your measurements. If you haven't taken them before, do it now and then again in two weeks. I also pushed myself harder at the gym, and am working harder to get my 8 glasses of water!

SOMETHING is different... you just don't know exactly what it is yet!!!
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    Wuooooooooooooo 18 pounds? girl i wish to loss that right now, you shoul take a pic and then when you lose more pounds,another pic, and u see a big difference. congrats!!! 18 LBS IS 18 LBS!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Did you take before & after photos and compare them?

I don't see changes in the mirror. They happen gradually... it's like watching grass grow. Heck, I didn't notice when I gained the weight, either.

I didn't notice much change in the first 15 pounds, but saw more changes in the next five than that first 15. I heard someone compare it to sheets off a roll of paper towels. You cake the first few sheets off, and the roll still looks full. But as you get closer to the core, each sheet makes more and more of a difference.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've lost 74 and I can BARELY see a difference in the mirror. To me, I just look like me. It's because we see ourselves everyday and the changes are so small from day to day. However, in pictures the change is quite noticeable! Be sure to take pictures, same pose, some clothes if possible and you'll see a change.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have lost 18 lbs so far, but I don't notice a difference. I am somewhat frustrated.

Congrats! 18 pounds is great! It looks like from your ticker that's about 1/3 of the way total for you! That's amazing. I agree with others that some pics might help you. Just stick with it....it will start snowballing and you won't believe how different you look.

18 pounds is impressive.
  • ashleymichelle06
    ashleymichelle06 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did you take before & after photos and compare them?

I don't see changes in the mirror. They happen gradually... it's like watching grass grow. Heck, I didn't notice when I gained the weight, either.

I didn't notice much change in the first 15 pounds, but saw more changes in the next five than that first 15. I heard someone compare it to sheets off a roll of paper towels. You cake the first few sheets off, and the roll still looks full. But as you get closer to the core, each sheet makes more and more of a difference.

I like that analogy!

I'm down 15 since the beginning of the summer and I sometimes think I see a small difference, and SO has told me I look like I have lost weight, but IDK. I am ready for a more noticeable difference, or at least a pant size!
  • KimMesser319
    KimMesser319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. The only person that seems to notice is my mom, but she just keeps mentioning my face. I don't notice it in clothes, except my thighs. All pants seem frumpier on me now because my thighs are slimmer, so I swim in fabric, but I can't go down a size because my hips aren't any smaller. Honestly, once my chest and hips are a little smaller and I can buy at least one size smaller I will feel better about it all.

That being said, I am not sorry I started all of this. Some days I don't want to work out, and some days I don't want to eat healthy, so some days I don't. I pay for those days, but in the end it evens out. I just don't do it all the time, and I don't go way overboard. I have come to realize I can't eat very much fast food anymore. Some places I can still eat, but most make me feel extremely nauseous and bogged down for the rest of the day. So I make note not to ever eat there again. :)

I have taken photos, they are on my page, but I can't tell much of a difference in them either.

@LorinaLynn- I was the same way, I never noticed all the weight, except on the scale. I still loked normal, until I saw a photo of myself and thought "I need to change, NOW." Mostly it's that now mentality that I have trouble with. It just can't seem to happen fast enough. I keep reminding myself "You didn't gain it overnight, don't expect to lose it that way either." But man, if you could! :)

Thank you everyone for the motivation and insight. Someday it will all change, but until then I'll keep at it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I can see a difference up top....my boobs are sagging more than usual.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,970 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your pix on your profile -- There is a real difference! :drinker:

Tell those voices in your head to shut up!:noway:

Good luck, and don't forget to be patient with yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • eelizzy000
    Options
    A pound is a pound is a pound and you have 18 of which to be very proud of!!! I've lost about 10 so far (hopefully more after my weigh-in tomorrow) and I haven't been able to notice a difference either other than my pants are a little less snug. Don't let it discourage you, your hard work will pay off! Good luck :)
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the pics in your profile and there's a big difference. I think because you're looking at yourself you're not seeing it but I'm sure everyone else does. Keep up the good work.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Looked at your prof pics and I can definitely see it. I've lost 15 lbs and have a hard time seeing it myself, but I lifted my husband's bowling ball and I couldn't believe how much that is. Maybe try to find something that is 18 lbs and carry it around for a bit.

I think the first 20-30 lbs are the hardest to see, and from that point on it all goes quickly. That's what I've heard people say. I've also heard that it takes a 10% difference in mass for a person to be able to feel a change in weight (when holding objects, like rocks or something). I imagine it could be similar for people. In my case I'm guessing I won't really notice until I've lost 25 lbs or so. It may be the same for you.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Go find 18 pounds of rice or potatoes, or an 18lb dumbbell. It will really make you feel better! I think it's hard for people with a bit to lose, because you are really doing well and yet it's really hard to tell in any of the ways that matter. But that will come.
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Heres a pact I made with myself to remove those frustrations. Look at it logically. Heres some of my thoughtprocess workthrough:

1) i need to eat right to be healthy and live a long life for my family, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc someday. i will feel much better about myself eating healthy!!!

2) for all the same reasons as #1, i need to exercise regularly for the rest of my life.

3) if i do #1 and #2 consistently for a prolonged period of time, i WILL lose weight as a byproduct of living a healthier life. so i eat correctly and exercise regularly for a healthier life, not to lose weight.

Thinking about it this way, you hit your goal EVERY DAY of living a healthier life. focusing on the weight loss will frustrate us. our bodies are very strange machines, they will lose nothing for two weeks then lose double the norm the next two weeks and make up for it. this is a very emotional rollercoaster if you are on this journey JUST to lose weight. ATTACK THE CAUSE OF THE ORIGINIAL WEIGHT GAIN, and the symptom of being overweight will automatically take care of itself :) god bless
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!