Need Info on Supplements for Iron Deficiency

Options
Since I have decided to become a personal trainer, exercise has become a major focus in my daily routine. I have battled anemia all of my life, more so than the average iron-deficient person. I have done a lot of reading and I need to hear from people who can give good advice on what supplements that I can take. Take note that I cannot directly injest iron tablets because they cause me to have extreme intestional pain.

I am not a sickly person who is looking for a magical cure. I have tons of information about what medical options exist and they always come down to blood transfusions. Nutritional solutions work best and I have been to many doctors who seem to be clueless. So what I am looking for is sound advice on "supplements".
ARE THERE ANY NUTRITIONISTS, NATURALISTS, OR HERBALISTS OUT THERE ?

Thanks, Ms. Mo

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    As you have a specific medical issue, I think the only appropriate person to give advice would be your own doctor.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Iron shouldn't be an OTC supplement. It's a heavy metal and yes, human body needs it in trace amounts but that doesn't change the fact that unsupervised supplements can lead to accumulation and then serious health problems. Please talk to a physician before you take anything.
  • geechegal
    geechegal Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Ms. Mo
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about Floradix...it's a liquid (sold at natural food stores and online) that supposedly doesn't cause constipation/ stomach issues.

Also google "high iron foods" and make them a priority in your diet. Make sure you aren't eating those foods with milk or other calcium sources because it blocks the absorption of iron. Vitamin C helps with absorption (for example 1 lean burger pattie + 1 sliced tomato or 1 serving oatmeal with orange juice).
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    As you have a specific medical issue, I think the only appropriate person to give advice would be your own doctor.

^ This, and also, our body is pretty difficult. Vitamin D is thrown in with milk because our body absorbs the Calcium better when
    accompanied with D. Iron is better absorbed when accompanied with vit. C

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2507689

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/vitamins/iron.html
    (close to halfway down the page)

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm (also has a list of veggies and other iron rich foods, you can totally make a kick@ss iron rich salad with this info)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/543287-does-caffeine-affect-the-bodys-ability-to-absorb-iron/

With this, there has been research that a glass of juice is as effective as a cup of coffee in the morning, so you can get both out of the way. Most people don't drink caffiene after dinner, so a high C/Iron snack can help.

**These are just suggestion on how to better absorb the natural iron you eat.
  • geechegal
    Options
    Thanks
  • linabinaboo
    Options
    Eat more leafy greens and nuts. if you have a balanced diet, you shouldnt need supplements (:
    if you're a meat eater, try and include beef into your diet. Bison is probably the leanest.
    Animal organs are also high in iron as well as mussels and oysters.
    (:
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This was some years ago and in London, but for what it's worth: After I was in a car crash where I lost a lot of blood, my naturopathic MD had me take Ferrograd-C liquid [not sure of the spelling, but you get the idea]. It didn't require a prescription, but was something I could get at a good health food store.

Yes, you need to take iron with vitamin-C in order for the iron to be absorbed properly.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    In the UK we have Spatone. Apparently it's not available in US but you might find something similar. It is a liquid, and you can drink it with a glass of Orange juice. I was anaemic all the way through my pregnancies, and this was great because it did not cause constipation which i believe iron tablets can.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

This. It's a little scary to me that you are becoming a personal trainer and asking for help from strangers online because you think doctors are clueless about your condition.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Since I have decided to become a personal trainer, exercise has become a major focus in my daily routine. I have battled anemia all of my life, more so than the average iron-deficient person. I have done a lot of reading and I need to hear from people who can give good advice on what supplements that I can take. Take note that I cannot directly injest iron tablets because they cause me to have extreme intestional pain.

I am not a sickly person who is looking for a magical cure. I have tons of information about what medical options exist and they always come down to blood transfusions. Nutritional solutions work best and I have been to many doctors who seem to be clueless. So what I am looking for is sound advice on "supplements".

Thanks, Ms. Mo

at the advice of my doctor, i started taking prenatal vitamins. the ones i take have 156% of the daily iron i need in them. i am extremely anemic because i have Crohn's.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I concur about directing iron questions to the dr (hemotologist). It is not something to be taken so blase. There are way too many variables. Personally, I feel that if you seem to know what is out there, then you would know that iron is not something to be taken as a supplement without very good and logical reason.

I have experience in the iron/blood disorder/leukemia department and learned ALOT.
  • geechegal
    Options
    TO: skonly, note the responses from other members. Like I said before I am not cluless or sickly and not looking for a magical cure. That is why I only ask for info from those who know what I am talking about.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    This. It's a little scary to me that you are becoming a personal trainer and asking for help from strangers online because you think doctors are clueless about your condition.

THIS!!!!!
  • geechegal
    Options
    I concur about directing iron questions to the dr (hemotologist). It is not something to be taken so blase. There are way too many variables. Personally, I feel that if you seem to know what is out there, then you would know that iron is not something to be taken as a supplement without very good and logical reason.

I have experience in the iron/blood disorder/leukemia department and learned ALOT.

I have not taken iron tablets in years. Read the info carefully , I HAVE BEEN TO MANY DOCTORS, I am seeking nutritional info. Dont bring the insults, this is a place to share positive responses.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options

I have not taken iron tablets in years. Read the info carefully , I HAVE BEEN TO MANY DOCTORS, I am seeking nutritional info. Dont bring the insults, this is a place to share positive responses.

If you are dead set on not taking the advice of your doctors, then I would recommend seeking out the advice of a registered dietitian (i.e. someone who has had actual schooling). Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.
  • geechegal
    Options

If you are dead set on not taking the advice of your doctors, then I would recommend seeking out the advice of a registered dietitian (i.e. someone who has had actual schooling). Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

I am not discrediting any physician, and I know what a dietician is. I merely typed nutritionist, STOP WASTING MY TIME.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    We will all stop wasting your time now. Please stop wasting our by asking questions when you obviously feel you already have all the answers.

Looking for the ignore button now.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin called alive it has iron. It has been enough to get mine up.