I've come to the conclusion...

Options
...that I went about this weight loss thing ALL WRONG. The majority of my weight loss was done without exercise. I am now "skinny fat". It feels hopeless and I feel that I'm obsessing. I like the number on the scale and want to stay there. However, I really need to tone up. What to do, what to do?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Resistance training. Do understand that when you undertake this, there will be some weight gain because of fluid and glycogen retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    "Lift Heavy".
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Resistance training. Do understand that when you undertake this, there will be some weight gain because of fluid and glycogen retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. There is no other way but exercise. The good news is that since you are new to exercise you should have muscle gain really easily. I recommend reading the book " the new rules of lifting for women" even if you do not do the workouts, the information are invaluable.

Good luck
  • thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just joined a small gym at work last week. I played around with a few machines last week including chest press, leg press and leg extenstion. I'm unsure of the weight settings though. I don't want to set the weight too high, but I don't want to waste my time either. Unfortunately they don't offer personal training...which is clearly what I need.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Find exercise you enjoy, that fits with your lifestyle and you can keep up on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be the same thing week after week, enjoy trying new things and testing your body in different ways.

If you're fairly inactive currently, start with walking - a fast walk quick enough to keep you slightly out of breath is fabulous exercise. You may want to gradually take it up to running through using a programme such as Couch To 5K (C25K) - I can send you links and beginner's running tips if you want.

Mix up cardio with resistance training, or combine both with circuit-style classes or DVDs. Feel too hot to work out in summer? Get in the pool and swim. Don't fancy going out in the rain? Pop in a workout DVD.

You've had lots of advice on resistance training. Though lifting heavy gives excellent results, as a beginner you will get outstanding results introducing any resistance training at the level that suits you. You can start with resistance bands or a pair of dumbbells. Google body-weight workouts - there are loads of moves you can do for free with zero equipment!

Keep your eye out for second-hand exercise DVDs and equipment - keeping fit needn't cost much.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Find what challenges you. "Heavy" depends on your abilities.

I generally do three sets of 8 when lifting. If you're not struggling by the final lifts, it's too light.

Don't be afraid of the number on the scale. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/one-year-of-strength-training-367482
  • sharmaferrugia
    Options
    Have you ever tried cycling ? I started about a month and a half ago and WOW what a difference I see in my muscle tone in the lower half... and it's really fun too !! Find a friend and head out .... makes me feel like a kid again :tongue:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I just joined a small gym at work last week. I played around with a few machines last week including chest press, leg press and leg extenstion. I'm unsure of the weight settings though. I don't want to set the weight too high, but I don't want to waste my time either. Unfortunately they don't offer personal training...which is clearly what I need.
    All gyms should offer you a basic programme as part of your membership showing you how to get the most out of the equipment and not injure yourself. Don't be afraid to take weight up as heavy as you can - a good rule of thumb is you should feel you can't do more than eight reps at the weight you set and aim for three sets.

A word of caution - in the long run you'll be a lot better off using free weights - dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells etc. - rather than machines as you're using your muscles naturally and not isolating one at a time.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are going to strength/resistance train, then try measuring yourself and tracking your body fat % rather than going just by the scale number.

I had a point in my life where I did get very fit, I was doing kickboxing 3 times a week which involved strength training, circuits etc and mountain biking, I was a small UK size 10 (US size 6) but I weighed almost 11 stone. The doctor told me I was overweight, I thought that was pretty funny at the time!

I wouldn't necessarily recommend going that crazy on your exercise and muscle building, but if you do start doing it, your body composition will change, and you have to find new ways of measuring your progress.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hit those weights girl!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

So, if you were to drive from New York to California, would you just get in the car and drive some random direction hoping to get there?

Stop. Go read up, or consult with someone and figure out what to do, exactly. Find a plan you can live with and use it. Flying blind is not better than doing nothing.

There are lots of books on the topic, lots of stuff on the web. The New Rules for Women seems to be pretty popular.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    ...that I went about this weight loss thing ALL WRONG. The majority of my weight loss was done without exercise. I am now "skinny fat". It feels hopeless and I feel that I'm obsessing. I like the number on the scale and want to stay there. However, I really need to tone up. What to do, what to do?

Let me stress that IT IS NOT HOPELESS!!!! :happy: You have done at least 85% of the work by just losing the weight! If you want to build muscle, and firm up- I highly recommend Jillian Michael's 30 day shred followed by her Ripped in 30
  • jshort152
    Options
    Lift heavy and lift often, as long as your calories are at maintenance and not going over you will not get big and bulky, you need a surplus to gain weight and size. Try metabolic resistance training too, I use it with my clients, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • thin4life67
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I have been walking for exercise for over a year now. I walk anywhere between 3-4 miles per day and a pace of 3.5 - 4.2. I plan on asking for "schooling" at the gym tomorrow.
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    They use to say, when lifting weights. If you can't lift it 8 times it's too heavy. If you can lift it more than 12 times it's too light. I think the most important thing to do is to stay active.
  • thin4life67
    Options

Let me stress that IT IS NOT HOPELESS!!!! :happy: You have done at least 85% of the work by just losing the weight! If you want to build muscle, and firm up- I highly recommend Jillian Michael's 30 day shred followed by her Ripped in 30

I tried the 30 day shred but found it was too hard on my knees. It was recommended by my PT that I stop. I have given thought to doing it again but leaving out the jumping jacks. Jump rope and squats didn't seem to bother my knees.
  • thin4life67
    Options
    They use to say, when lifting weights. If you can't lift it 8 times it's too heavy. If you can lift it more than 12 times it's too light. I think the most important thing to do is to stay active.

Good to know...I will remember that!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Good to know...I will remember that!

Yeah, not so much. That's probably old school. 12 to 15 reps is good. You can shoot for less. I shoot for 10 reps. If I hit 11, I up the weight a notch. But, if you want to hit 15, that's fine.
  • thin4life67
    Options

So, if you were to drive from New York to California, would you just get in the car and drive some random direction hoping to get there?

Stop. Go read up, or consult with someone and figure out what to do, exactly. Find a plan you can live with and use it. Flying blind is not better than doing nothing.

There are lots of books on the topic, lots of stuff on the web. The New Rules for Women seems to be pretty popular.

Well I would have a general direction in mind...as I do with this. I'm one that needs alot of hand holding...LOL
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Do they have zumba or yoga there? I have been doing turbokick and zumba, aquazumba and p90x to tone and lose. I love the organized classes :) Training for a uphill 5k too! I would say just find something you enjoy doing and stick with it, just get moving however you can. Yesterday I took my kids and went hiking even.
    Take your measurements so you can see a different goal than the scale too. Remember, to be healthy and have a long term affect you do not want to lose your water weight, you want to lose your fat. As you define your muscles they will gain weight and you can still lose some fat to gain definition of those muscles. So, still keep calorie count going :) But you may want to up it a little, not even up for your workout calories, maybe add a protein shake after a workout.