FitBit & HRM

Options
I have a question, and I think I know the answer. But I would like input from those that have been on here longer & working out longer than me.

I own a Fitbit & a HRM. I use them both when doing my C25k & my 30 Day Shred. I have noticed that when Fitbit adjusts my workoust on MFP the cals burned are awfully low.

For example, today, I did my C25K and Fitbit only showed 99 cals burned as an adjustment on here ( i thought that was low). On the other hand, my HRM stated I burned 368.7 cals.

Which do I go by? Which sounds more accurate? I don't want to fool myself be either over/undereating.

Thank you

Replies

• vidchick73
    vidchick73 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do you have your fitbit profile set up correctly? Double check the profile and make sure the height/weight settings are correct. The more you weigh, the more you burn. I think most devices have a default weight of like 150 or something. My FB was always a little weird at times, especially when I did stuff at home, exercise, even some small movements in Zumba, etc. Also, where are you wearing it? I always wore mine inside my bra but that might not be the best place for you.
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    Yeah everything is set up correctly. Today I wore it on my workout pants. But usually I wear it on my sports bra. And I get the same results. It makes it seem like it's a generic cal's burned type of deal. I figured since my fB doesn't have a heart rate monitor & it doesn't know how badly I'm dying, lol, doing this workout my HRM know exactly where my BRM are, so I manually adjusted them on my exercise fb adj.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Fitbit includes BMR in the calories burned for that time. I believe that MFP removes those calories when calculating the adjustment. Personally, I log the run in Fitbit as an activity (hold the button on your FB for two seconds to start the activity and another two seconds to end it) and use the calories that my HRM gives me (for you, 368 calories). MFP will still adjust for BMR, but your HRM will be more accurate than your fitbit.
  • chocorose
    chocorose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP all summer and just added fitbit 5 weeks ago. I Spin 2-3 times a week and add that to my exercise since I take the fitbit off for that. I don't seem to be losing any weight! I usually do not eat all of the calories assigned to me on the site, maybe once a week I go over a few hundred calories. Should I not count the fitbit calorie burn? I usually eat 1200 -1400 a day with exercise and rarely never go over 1600. I am 5' tall...help!!