Protein Drinks

Options
Does anyone use protein drinks? I have read several articles about this and I am totally confused!! I do not get enough protein in my diet and I was reading an article where I could drink protein shake powder in water for my "snacks" in between meals. I have looked at several protein drinks and they all seem to have a lot of calories. I have seen one 310 shake but cannot find where to purchase it. Any help?

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Theres many places you can buy whey protein powder from. I but mine online, it's about 130 cals per serving. I'm not sure which country your in though?? I know my gym sells it, as do a few of the larger supermarkets and health food shops. I buy mine online due to the fact that it provides more choice and it's cheaper.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Where abouts do you live?

I bought a great protein powder at Shoppers Drug Mart for $25 a few weeks ago. Has 120 cals per scoop and I mix it with water and frozen fruit (sometimes a bit of yogurt as well). So good!

I lack protein in my diet sometimes as I do not eat meat so protein drinks help me get there. It's also a quick breakfast for my early work days.

If you have them near you head out to Shoppers Drug Mart, WalMart, GNC (although they get pricey there), bulk food stores, health food stores, etc and look through what they have. CHekc out the nutrional information and make your choice based on that. Keep an eye on portion sizes though as usually the containers list a huge amount of protein per serving on the front but per serving is normally two scoops which can add up the calories, sugar, carbs, etc.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know how you feel, some times getting that much protein from your diet is not possible but food is definitely first choice for as far as you can.

In terms of protein shakes there are two main types, whey and casien, (o yeah and soy, im allergic so know absolutely nothing about it). Whey protein is a fast absorbing protein best suited for post workout drink wheras casien stays in the body for much longer.

They shouldnt have a lot of calories at all, you where most likely looking at a weight gaining shake. The Average serving of 25 grams of protein will only be 100 calories assuming it is pure protein
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A nice snack for me is cottage cheese (125grams) with provitas and a few almonds. A little bit of everything that keeps you going for a while
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I personally Love my Vi Shakes, they are low cal, and super tasty!! 90 calories and can be had plain with water or juice or fruit, or peanut butter......there are literally hundreds of recipies for them!!
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue - I just don't get enough protein. I'm a carb gal through and through. I have been making an effort though to get more lean protein in. I love cottage cheese. Would love an recommendations on fave brands out there. I'd probably like a vanilla or choc flavor. Do you just add water and ice to yours? Or milk?

Does anyone doctor up their shakes with other things, like coffee or peanut/almond butter, etc?

I do occasionally make smoothies with Greek yogurt & fruit & mint...could probably just toss a scoop of some non-flavored (or vanilla) protein powder in with that.

Appreciate any tips, cheers!
  • cmlrn2
    cmlrn2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all for replying!! I live in the midwest and I was told GNC would sell Whey protein for what I need. I was reading to add 1/2 scoop to 20 oz of water to drink 1 hour after each meal and to take 45 minutes to drink. This is not to be used as meal replacement just to help curb cravings and hunger in between meals. One other idea was to add one tablespoon Extra Light olive oil to the protein and water (not sure about this :ohwell: ) These are to be low cal and to not have alot of taste, more water taste than anything. What does everyone think?

Thanks again!!
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that but I have found protein powder to be a huge asset to my diet.

I went to whole foods and bought several single serve packets to see which ones I liked. Biochem is my favorite and I use the vanilla and chocolate. 110 calories per serving and very tasty.

Usually I have a serving mixed with water before I workout. I workout very early in the morning. Then after working out I usually have breakfast with another scoop mixed in with my greek yogurt.

The best thing is take bananas, peel and put in a plastic ziploc and freeze. Then use 1 cup water, 1 serving of the chocolate powder and a frozen banana and blend for a super frothy totally tasty treat.

Note: I happen to like stevia so avoid sugar and calories by using powders sweetened this way.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein as a lunch substitute or after workout boost. I would suggest using a blender, otherwise super clumpy and mixing with a unsweeetened almond milk (I prefer silk brand, 30 calories) you get even more protein and it is edible. Mixing with water it will taste super gross!!!!!!! Vanilla is my favorite!!Yummy!

I am in the midwest too, right by MN, WI and IA ... have lived in them all!
  • wlkumpf
    Options
    walmart has big things for 14$ something. 140 calories and all the same benefits. Vanilla, strawberry or chocolate. They do have a fruit punch one that might be good with water? We bought the creatine one before we realized that is more for a serious athlete trying to reach their full final potential, we are just amatures.
  • cmlrn2
    cmlrn2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Totally understand the amateur part!! I will let you know how this works!! I have a friend that always mixes them with water because she is lactose intolerant, she says it is ok!! Thanks for replying!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I use one of the whey protein brands available at Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc. (Body Fortress). It mixes well with no clumps by just using a shaker cup and I think the chocolate peanut butter flavor tastes fine mixed with just water.

Don't worry about the "one hour after eating and sip it for 45 minutes" thing - drink it whenever you want, as fast or slow as you want. As long as you're getting the protein into your body, the rest doesn't matter.
  • RistinaWin
    RistinaWin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use Whey Factors Natural Whey Protein. It's 80 cals per scoop. I mix with almond milk, dark chocolate powder (unsweetened), a small banana (to add sweetness) and sometimes 1 tbl of almond butter, mix, add ice, mix again and enjoy. With almond butter, it's 310 cals, without it's 215 cals. So yummy and helps with my chocolate craving too =)

Oh, I get the whey protein at Whole Foods - but you can google it to see where you can get it in your area!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I sometimes mix my (chocolate soy) protein powder with nonfat Greek yogurt for a sort of "protein pudding." I do 1/2 c. of yogurt with 1/2 serving of the powder.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue - I just don't get enough protein. I'm a carb gal through and through. I have been making an effort though to get more lean protein in. I love cottage cheese. Would love an recommendations on fave brands out there. I'd probably like a vanilla or choc flavor. Do you just add water and ice to yours? Or milk?

Does anyone doctor up their shakes with other things, like coffee or peanut/almond butter, etc?

I do occasionally make smoothies with Greek yogurt & fruit & mint...could probably just toss a scoop of some non-flavored (or vanilla) protein powder in with that.

Appreciate any tips, cheers!

I mix my protein shake in the morning with iced coffee. I have GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Cookies and Cream, mix it with coffee and some half and half and shake my blender ball and serve over ice.
  • hedalpedal
    hedalpedal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used Muscle Milk Light. About 100 calories per scoop, mixes very easily with just water, and it has fiber and vitamins and whatnot as well. Its actually my breakfast/post workout meal most days of the week. And, they have a bunch of favors, but my favorite so far is still the basic chocolate. Try a couple, once you find one you. Like try ordering from amazon, they are usually a bit cheaper there than GNC or wherever.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love the Premier protien drinks at Costco. They are 11 oz, maybe 130 cals, and have 30g of protien and are really low in sugar. I also just tasted an "Oh Yeah" vanilla protien drink, i didn't analyze it (was desperate for some sustenance) but it seemed pretty low in carbs, was like 14 oz, very sweet tasting, and had more than 30g of protien.

I love protien drinks and powder. I think it's hard to get in enough protien while keeping cals down, at least for me, though i'm a fledgling in this health journey right now!
  • wnt2beme
    wnt2beme Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use it for a meal replacement and have noticed it helps me with my diet plan.I am using Whey Protein Elite Series available at Walmart for about $20.It has 60g of protein and 0g trans fat but it does have 160 calories per scoop.The other one that works well that I got at Hi Health is ISO-100 its 25g of protein,0 carbs,0 fat 0 Lactose its easy to digest and it 100% hydrolyzed whey protein but this one is about $40.So it depends on what you are using it for and what your wanting. Good luck.
  • wlkumpf
    Options
    Thank you all for replying!! I live in the midwest and I was told GNC would sell Whey protein for what I need. I was reading to add 1/2 scoop to 20 oz of water to drink 1 hour after each meal and to take 45 minutes to drink. This is not to be used as meal replacement just to help curb cravings and hunger in between meals. One other idea was to add one tablespoon Extra Light olive oil to the protein and water (not sure about this :ohwell: ) These are to be low cal and to not have alot of taste, more water taste than anything. What does everyone think?

Thanks again!!

I would mix the 140 cal whey protein, with 30 call silk almond milk and blend it up (my 10 year old son has a magic bullet) if you want chocolate add some unsweetened powder. silk had 1 g protein but the vanilla whey has 25g. When you blend it it gets frothy and light and airy. Very nice in texture. Pleasant to consume. I tried with water and could barely choke it down. That is with a whole scoop and about 1 or slightly more cups of silk.

The other thing if you are just looking for a good low cal snack is sugar free jello, add some free cool whip and it is my favorite snack!
    I also grill a grill full of lean steak, chicken and pork and keep sliced in the fridge for a snack or to plop on a whole grain tortilla or salad for a meal.
    The breakfast I eat is either honey nut cheerios with silk, under 200 calories or a oat revolution pack you microwave for around 100 calories. Very filling and lasting.

I agree with some other posters though, I can not imagine getting enough protein without my whey protein, for 14 bucks at walmart it is hard to beat. There are 27 servings in that one container. Add a scoop to some greek yogurt with fruit and almond milk for a post workout shake too, very good for you, filling and a good after workout boost. I mix it up and have it in the fridge waiting.