So, here's a question that doesn't get asked every day.

Options
I am having surgery tomorrow at 12:00 (noon). I cannot eat anything after midnight tonight and will likely go all day tomorrow without eating as well. For that reason, I want to eat around 11:00 or so tonight but I want something really filling. I'm honestly not counting calories in this one instance as I'm more worried about giving my body what it needs to go through the day tomorrow. I was thinking of making some pasta - is that my best bet?

Replies

• katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd add in some protein, your body will have to do some repair work after your surgery, it won't hurt to have some protein in your system to help it get started. Complex carbs, e.g. if you have any wholewheat pasta or half-white-half-wholewheat, that might keep you fuller longer than white pasta.

Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly and that you're back up and about in no time!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    I think I'd have a three egg ham and cheese omelet with some toast.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Honestly they told me for my surgery the same thing only no solid foods after noon the day before. I would suggest sticking to liquid based nutrition for the remainder of the day. Strictly broth-based nutrition.
  • deesign4427
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow!
  • bubmaster
    Options
    pasta and chicken would be good,and fruit after for the vitamins.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    They don't want you to eat after midnight because your stomach needs to be empty during surgery-- if there's still food in your stomach, it can lead to various problems. I'd eat something that digests quickly but gives you energy. And eating at 11 might be cutting it kind of close . . .
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I had an endoscopy at 2pm last week, ate at 8pm as usual then at 4pm after the procedure. You have fat reserves for this sort of thing, just eat normally and it'll be fine.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    They don't want you to eat after midnight because your stomach needs to be empty during surgery-- if there's still food in your stomach, it can lead to various problems. I'd eat something that digests quickly but gives you energy. And eating at 11 might be cutting it kind of close . . .
    They do take into account that the food needs to digest, you know. If you're told to stop eating at 12 that means 11 is perfectly fine.
  • a16mason
    a16mason Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely throw some protein in there.

And it was actually my surgeon who told me to eat between 11 and 12, just didn't specify WHAT to eat. :)
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    It's really not a big deal to not have anything to eat for a day if you're having surgery. What you eat tonight won't really make a difference.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 80
    Options
    A healthy person can go quite some time without eating and not have any problems. And one of the big concerns about eating before surgery is that the anesthetic drugs can make you nauseous and you don't want to vomit during or after surgery--major complications! I recommend you have a decent dinner...around dinner time and don't try to eat right before midnight. After surgery, you will want to take it slowly with food as you might not be feeling great and those drugs also slow down your digestive system. So, start with some liquids and see how you do. Good luck with your surgery!
    PS I'm a nurse and work regularly with patients going to and recovering from surgeries.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I would second the omelette, maybe with a baked/jacket potato.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I would go with something like pasta or mashed potatoes along with beef and some veggies *you* like.
    and a small portion of chocolate/dessert, of course. Just not a whole lot.

I think something with a small amount of carbs wouldn't get you too far the next day.

Good luck with your surgery.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

I agree with this. You won't "starve". Remember this recommendation does not call for eating a giant dinner sized meal just before the cut off time. Eat a regular dinner at dinner time. The caution is so your stomach is "empty". If you were to vomit you might accidentally aspirate it into your lungs. That is the real risk. Not being hungry the next day. Your body can deal with that better than an accidental aspiration.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are really filling, protein shake is a good idea and eggs. I would say no meat because I wouldn't want anything hanging around in your stomach still. They say that because you can aspirate Into lung and choke on your own food while under anesthesia, huge cause of anesthesia related fatalities.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'd add in some protein, your body will have to do some repair work after your surgery, it won't hurt to have some protein in your system to help it get started. Complex carbs, e.g. if you have any wholewheat pasta or half-white-half-wholewheat, that might keep you fuller longer than white pasta.

Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly and that you're back up and about in no time!

Sounds about right: pasta for carbs, meat for protein. Have some tuna or chicken with whole-wheat noodles. FIlling, but not too heavy.

Hope the surgery goes smoothly and you heal quickly! :flowerforyou:
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest fruit. Surgery and drugs can plug things up pretty bad. I wish my surgeon had warned me.
  • taffyRN84
    taffyRN84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A healthy person can go quite some time without eating and not have any problems. And one of the big concerns about eating before surgery is that the anesthetic drugs can make you nauseous and you don't want to vomit during or after surgery--major complications! I recommend you have a decent dinner...around dinner time and don't try to eat right before midnight. After surgery, you will want to take it slowly with food as you might not be feeling great and those drugs also slow down your digestive system. So, start with some liquids and see how you do. Good luck with your surgery!
    PS I'm a nurse and work regularly with patients going to and recovering from surgeries.

I'm also a nurse and totally agrees with this post, and i also take care of patients before and after surgery. Good luck tomorrow.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I would try to maximize protein, the carbs will be gone immediately.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on the surgery. I hope all goes better than expected.